Sunny Side of the Mountain by The Transatlantic Stringband

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's the debut of the Transatlantic Stringband. Jeff and I were so flattered when Hendrik (AKA Luurtie) asked us to work together on the song Sunny Side of the Mountain. From the Netherlands, he started the recording off with guitar and lead vocals. Here in Tennessee, Jeff added bass and banjo, and I added autoharp and harmony vocals. Hendrik finished the song off with a mandolin solo. He's also responsible for the mixing and excellent video.
    What a treat to collaborate with such talented and friendly musicians from around the world. It's a great group we have here.
  2. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Really nice work, great playing and good video to boot. I really enjoyed that.
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That's fabulous, Marcy, Jeff and Hendrik.
    Such fun to hear your new autoharp, Marcy
  4. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    That was wonderful. What fun!!
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent version, guys, it's hard not to love this old song. It's most closely associated with Jimmy Martin, although not written by him (Bobby Gregory & Harry McCauliffe get the credits). A wonderful international collaboration, I really enjoyed it.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks David, I'll fix the post above. I checked out Jimmy Martin's version. That's great, and you've got to like what he does with the word "hillside." I hadn't heard this one before, but you're right, it's a great old tune.
    I'm loving the autoharp, Manfred. Playing it is great fun--tuning it, not so much--imagine 4 mandolins and one fiddle.
    And thanks so much Shaun and David H--from you experienced multitrackers that's very encouraging.
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great collaboration, folks. Love the overall sound and the use of the sepia toned pictures of you all.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I am short of words. This is so, so... transatlantic.
    You've shrunk the planet! I can feel it under my feet. What will happen if I drive 100 miles West into Holland? What are these hills? Marcy, watch out!
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That would be so cool if you made good on that threat, Bertram. Start brushing up on your southern accent.
  10. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    One picture is taken in Holland where you see a wooden gate and a field in the woods Bertram. It's such beautiful nature round the river "Drentsche AA". Holland has some beautiful nature but no hills. That's why we cannot be a real Mountain Stringband... But I think If you drive 100 miles west into Holland you probably need your swimming trunks
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's a great version of this old song. Nice singing and playing from all the Transatlantic String Band members.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    swimming trunks

Nah, I simply wait for two more of your recordings, then the coasts touch and I row my boat down the Ijsselmeer, up the Potomac and into the Shenandoah. That will be a funny combined country of legal drugs and legal guns
  13. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Wonderful!
  14. justkaron
    justkaron
    WOW! This is just great! One of my favorite old songs.
    Reminds me of my Mom who used to sing it.
  15. richieb
    richieb
    I can't begin to describe how great this is! Such a modern way of recording for such an old sounding song. Not only have you shrunk the world a bit, but you've put a ripple in the space-time continuum. Einstein would be proud!
  16. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I love seeing things like this. Well done all the way around.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Einstein would be proud

Beam me up Luurtie!
  18. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Maybe I'll look you up when I fixed my Delorean Bertram. Still looking for a new energy boost to get her going, but I love the "Old days" music here.....
    And it's funny, my dog's called Einstein.
  19. Grommet
    Grommet
    What a great arrangement. Beautifully done.

Scott
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Using the DeLorean, you could do live gigs together with you and yourself, and you could sit in the audience and watch it all
  21. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Ehm, to be honest, that's actually what we "youtube-performers" do
  22. justkaron
    justkaron
    Hendrick...that IS what we do.

Bunch of hams, we are. Great fun isn't it!
  23. Francis J
    Francis J
    Super. Well done everyone, that's just the best!!