My cheap and low-end mandolin Crafter M70e

1. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Thanks for this group. When I read about all the expensive mandos such as Gibson I feel somewhat pedestrian and paroquial. So let's just say I think my Crafter finds a home in the cheaper end mandos and has quite a good sound. It is actually electro accoustic, but I love the sound. Am still very much a beginner. Mandolins are a rarity in SA and one is certainly not spoilt for choice.
  2. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    I empathize..when I got here, I read about all of these high-dollar mandolins, knowing that I wasn't ever going to have one, and now - I couldn't care less. My Rover RM50 A-Model and my Bon Air F-model are wonderful. I've had several folks ask about my F-Model, and they have said how nice the tone is, and they are surprised to find it wasn't expensive and is almost American-made..lol. I love both of my mandolins..heck..I love my closet full of instruments - the strings and the woodwinds - without the music, and learning all of these instruments, life would be very empty for me. I spent the best part of two hours with my autoharp early this morning...got the mandolin and guitar work done after that - and this evening will be the sax, clarinet, and tin whistle. I had no idea how much fun a tin whistle could be! Do you have one? If you dont'...get one..they're a hoot!! I'm so very glad you love your instrument. They know when they are loved and they respond to hands that value them as more than a bit of wood and wire.
  3. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kristiebob
    Love my mando very much. Agreed. They respond well when one loves them. Autho harp sure sound interesting. Do we need a forum for things with strings other than mandos and Ukes? Would love to learn more about your auto harp. I love harps and mandolins and things with strings, that is other than guitar. Absolutely love clarinet. Took up oeboe for a while, but renting an oeboe at R400 in SA was simply not financially feasible. Best Vanilla mandolin
  4. sean cannon
    sean cannon
    i love the sound of both of my mandolins and unless i get a lottery win i cant see me getting one of the higher end mandos but wouldnt part with these if i could afford
  5. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    Autoharps are so much fun! Anyone can play one...and play one right away. I was amazed at the number of strum and picking patterns there are! I got a great how-to book that explains and illustrates everything really well and goes from the simplest of strums to the more complicated picking and strumming patterns, and the book has a wonderful selection of songs from several different genres...not all bluegrassy-type stuff...shows how autoharp really does fit well with just about all kinds of music. Tuning can take awhile, but, once I got the initial tuning done, there is just a little fine tuning each time I play. I have an Oscar Schmidt Adirondack, 21-chord, autoharp..solid spruce top and sides, and solid, gorgeous birdseye maple back..sounds so nice. It even has a built-in tuner with fine-tuning nuts, as well, so you don't have to use the larger tuner every time you play. It stays in tune pretty well...just needs a little tweek now and then. It's a great joy to play, it's easy, and it's lovely...
  6. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi there

That sounds like fun. Though judging by how I struggled to find a decent mando just for a beginner in SA I should probably not send the Vanillamandolin household on a goose chase after an auto harp, though I would absolutely love one. Howmany strings? You say 21 Chord? Very interesting.

For now, loving my cheap mandolin. fibre glass back, Ingleman spruce top emboya bridge and mahogany fret board.
  7. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    The autoharp is fun...I don't know how many strings are on the thing..I've never counted them..lol....Oscar Schmidt has been in the autoharp business for a long, long time, and they are such an easy instrument to play...I can see now why they are so popular. I always loved listening to Mother Maybelle Carter play her autoharp, and she's a bit of a pioneer of many of the strumming and picking patterns used today. You can set it on a table or something and play it, or you can hold it. I had strap buttons installed on mine, just in case I have it somewhere that I can't set the thing down. If you want an instrument on which you can play right away...get an autoharp.
  8. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kristiebob

Really interesting. Do you know the music of Andreas Vollenweider? I think he plays a a real big harp, but I absolutely love the sound of a harp. It is equal to the mandolin. Will, for the sake of sheer interest look here in SA to see if any autoharps are going at a reasonable price.

Regards

Vanillamandolin
  9. bmac
    bmac
    One of the advantages of starting with a low end mandolin is that, if it is playable you can begin to learn whether you want to explore further and move to a higher end mando for its advantages. Most folks as beginners , know nothing about instruments and quality and learning on a lower end mando will at least tell you if you want to move on and up in quality. In face some great players worked with instruments of lower quality,,, but they knew how to get the best out of them.
  10. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    oops--wrong thread