first electric mando

1. mr.Bill
    mr.Bill
    any suggestions for a first electric mandolin(solid body) i really dig the looks of the eastwood mandocaster but havent played one and will have to mail order.
  2. rico mando
    Gee what to say. if money is not a problem try and buy something really nice from jon mann,steve ryder/schwab/rono/bacorn ect....(better yet one of each). i have a 4 string epiphone mando bird that is very useable, and if it gets stolen or broken no tears shed. but really you should be more specific about what you want the instrument for to tailor better advice for you. ie 8 or 4 string or 5,how much do you want to spend? do you want blistering string bending leads or just a mandolin sound with no feedback issues? haven't read any reviews on eastwood but heard the j'bovier are good
  3. mr.Bill
    mr.Bill
    never played a 4 string just 8s,lotsa blues and zeppelin.catch my self bending alot and have been known to play iron maiden and hendrix just for fun. would like to use distortion now and then.got a wife and three lil girls so my toy budget is sparse .need to stay under 400.00.
  4. rico mando
    well that narrows it down a bunch.I have read some reviews on the eastman and aside from possible set up issues its decent so looks like you should decide whether you want the 4 or 8 string and buy the eastman or the mando bird. both have lots of bang for the bucks
  5. mr.Bill
    mr.Bill
    thanks rico! think i'll get the mandocaster.gonna use elderly instruments cause they do a pro set up before they ship and the prices seem real fair!!
  6. Elliot Luber
    Elliot Luber
    So you've decided that you want an eight-string, as opposed to a four or five. That's fine. It all depends on what type of music you like. Check out the 4 5 8 electrics forum here to information on how to hotrod it. Many who buy the low-cost mandos aren't happy with the pickups, which can be swapped out pretty easily. (NFI)
  7. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi there

Am rather new to this forum. Very interesting discussion. Having an electro accoustic mandolin I found the remark on pickups interesting. Do I understand that if there is room for a pickup it can easily be swapped? I even have controls on the side: tone and volume control.

With thanks

Vanillamandolin
  8. Daniel Nestlerode
    Daniel Nestlerode
    'Easy' is a judgment call. But yes, pickups can be swapped. There are a few folks who make replacement pickups. Ask on the Electrics portion of the forum.
    Hope this helps!
    Daniel