A newby with a question

1. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    A newby to mandolin and FFCP and playing for under two months I have played the g major scale using ffcp. As there is no mandolin teachers in SA, I wondered, is there any specific curriculum, or plan to follow when doing scales in FFCP? I feel as if I am doing a bit of everything, which I guess is OK, but perhaps a planned attack on learning patterns by way of FFCP will make me the winner?

With thanks

Vanillamandolin
  2. swampstomper
    swampstomper
    My strategy is one position a day, rotating (so, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th) and then working up the neck. So day 1 is Ab 1st FFcP (G string)/Eb 1st (D string), day 2 Bb 2nd FFcP (G string)/F (D string), day 3 C/G, day 4 D/A. This is all out of 1st position. The next 4-day cycle is A/E (1st), B/F# (2nd), Db/Gb (3rd), Eb/Bb (4th). You can go as far up the neck as you want with this, then start again at the bottom.
  3. "Umm, fish?"
    "Umm, fish?"
    My strategy was to work FFcP until I understood the concept that it was trying to teach (that the various scales are all interlocking patterns all over the neck). Once I had that, it was better to go off and use the tools to make music than to spend lots of time repeating exercises. I still use FFcP every day and in many ways. I hardly ever bring the book out any longer, though.
  4. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Swampstomp and um fish. Many thanks. Would love to reap benefits of ffcp. My main challenge is playing lead, chords, rhythm all come very easy with perfect pitch. Now it is the frets and patterns I must master.
  5. swampstomper
    swampstomper
    Dear Vannilla, if you hear the leads so easily, a good way to "lock in" FFcP is to play the lead in an unfamiliar key using as much as possible one FFcP. For example "Gold Rush" in A makes nice use of the open A string -- play it in Bb using 4th FFcP with the root note (Bb) on the 8th fret of the D string. That will give your pinky a workout and you will use all the scale notes in 4th FFcP. Actually, that would work in A (the original key) also. If the lead spans more than one octave + 2 tones you can use "linked" FFcP. In the Bb example, 1st FFcP beginning on the low Bb (3rd fret G string) ends with your pinky on the 8th fret of the D string -- the starting position for 4th FFcP as above.
  6. "Umm, fish?"
    "Umm, fish?"
    You don't even necessarily need to switch keys (though you should, of course): Move the lead to every song you play to different positions on the neck. You will find some to be much easier than others. You will find some positions will lend themselves to adding in bass lines. You will find the different positions showing up in your soloing.
  7. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi all thanks for your advice. To Um fish and all others who responded. I appreciate. Have to work on lead - needs the most attention - chords and rhythm and cross picking coming on good enough but the lead playing leaves much to be desired.
    Definitely following these strategies.
    Vanilla