How much can one ask of one's pinky?

1. Roger Kunkel
    Roger Kunkel
    I've seen some significant improvement since I've been working on ffcp and other exercises (for about a year), but do people get to the point where it's just like any other finger? I can make the stretches and play the scales, but not with a feeling of authority. I totally get the advantage of the approach, but I fear my I may need a pinky enhancement pill or something.
  2. Ted Eschliman
    Ted Eschliman
    I don't want to monopolize this thread, and would really like to hear what others say. Since I've been doing the FFcP the longest (10 years), I can give a long term perspective...

The physiological structure of the 3rd & 4th finger (they are more or less "wired" together) will make complete independence for the pinky a relative impossibility, but I sure hate to see someone make that an excuse to not even bother developing strength and flexibility. After all, piano players use all ten fingers! I will say I'm not uncomfortable using the pinky for long sustained notes, and I think especially in the upper frets, the pinky is an invaluable tool in the cramped quarters of that part of the fretboard.

It definitely takes time, measured in weeks, if not months. I'm still gaining skill, despite the years I've already invested.
  3. MandoSquirrel
    MandoSquirrel
    I was going to say yes,but Ted is right about the pinky being physiologically limited. It can be pretty much just another finger, though.
  4. Roger Kunkel
    Roger Kunkel
    Well, besides the physical development, this method is improving my fretboard comprehension.
    So I'll keep at it. I'm curious to hear about experiences with progressing on the physical front.
    If you still see improvement after ten years, that's encouraging. Thanks.
  5. MandoSquirrel
    MandoSquirrel
    While it's been 10 years since Ted Founded the FFCP system, closed position scale patterns have been around as long as the instrument, are proven in bluegrass, jazz, & probably other music styles. They certainly should open up the fretboard to you, as well as strengthening the fingers & improving agility.
    Ted's FFCP system is an excellent way to learn positions & patterns.
  6. Roger Kunkel
    Roger Kunkel
    For anyone interested in a follow up:
    I've continued to see improvement in pinky strength and coordination. I include basic FFcP scales in my daily routine and I'm also working through the Marilyn Mair book and learning fiddle, routinely utilizing my fourth finger in scale work. Also, when I play guitar the new pinky strength is having a big impact on my lead playing. Better late than never.
  7. swampstomper
    swampstomper
    I see tremendous improvement. I've been at ffCp for four years now, pretty consistently. I had broken my pinky in a fall a few years before that and it was stiff and almost useless. The pain was pretty bad at first from the unusual stretching and even the placement of the pad onto the string. But I persisted -- S L O W L Y -- as Ted says, just ten minutes a day and I began to see progress right away. After about 4 months I could do the super ffCP slowly and deliberately, but I still had (and have!) problems getting the stretch. In my case it's the 2nd-3rd finger gap that is not so large and flexible. The pinky is actually pretty strong now. At this point the ffCp is more about mastering the fretboard than about finger strength, although it sure helps. I play fiddle tunes in Ab and Eb for practice and ... hey, I can do them! Open strings are great for certain sounds but closed position allows you to react no matter what the key or situation. I play a version of Rebel Soldier from G by 1/2 steps to C... the Country Gentlemen just do it in G, A and C to make things easy (for the guitarist, I guess) -- without ffCp I would never dreamed of trying that.

BTW I supplement ffCp with tunes in the practice key. Jethro's Ab stuff is particularly helpful for finger strength and stretches -- try Flicking My Pick.
  8. JonZ
    JonZ
    Ever see one of those people with no arms do stuff like play guitar with their feet? There is plenty of untapped power in the pinky.
  9. chasgrav
    chasgrav
    Interestingly, I worked hard on FFcP for a few months, during which I noticed a huge improvement in pinky strength and usability. Then I stepped away from it for about a year, and played very little mandolin at all, (for a bunch o' reasons -- none of 'em good).

Coming back to FFcP again, I'm finding that very little of my ability was lost. The pinky is about as strong and agile as when I had last played. I'm back onto a structured daily study routine now, and basing most of it on Ted's excellent adventure.
  10. Duane Graves
    Duane Graves
    I have made an effort to incorporate my little finger at note making too. The effort is paying off but I find that I can hover my pinky over a note ready to strike when needed but in my case it has a kind of a snap to it like it has to role over something in the joint and when it does it is on the note before you know it but is nearly impossible to control real well. Still, it is useful and you know to me it's fun to use it and it throws notes in there that otherwise would not be heard. --dgg
  11. billkilpatrick
    ... to reach the 7th fret - that's all
  12. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    My thanks for this thread. Being an individual with small hands I do struggle with strengthening the pinky and it is good to hear it can improve.