Looking to purchase first ukulele, Please help.

1. Ken Scarbrough
    Ken Scarbrough
    Hi everyone, I have been playing my Breedlove mandolin for about a year now and I have a desire to learn ukulele.I live in an area with no music stores that stock ukuleles, so it looks like an online purchase will be my only option.

I would like to try the concert size. I dont want to start off with a $40 instrument as I tried that with the mandolin and was not happy with the results. That is where the Breedlove came in and I could not be happier with that purchase. I have a budget of $300 with a little flexabillity there.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to name brands to consider as well as online dealers. Thanks in advance.
  2. Tenor Chick
    Tenor Chick
    Check out Hawaii Music Supply and tell them your needs. You can trust them to steer you straight. They have great sales, speedy service, and will set up your uke to your specifications, for free. They do a setup on everything they sell, as a matter of course. You can talk to them on the phone as well. Be mindful of the time difference. Hope that helps.
  3. Ken Scarbrough
    Ken Scarbrough
    Thanks for you help Tenor Chick, but I purchased a Lanakai a few days ago. I did not post back because it is still going through the string streching and wont stay in tune yet. When I get a chance to give it a real good spin I will let you know what I think of it. Glad that I have my Breedlove mandolin to play till then.
  4. bwachter70
    bwachter70
    Glad you got a good uke. My first was a Makala tenor. Only $80 but it sounds great especially after I replaced the plastic bridge and put some good strings on it.