Hello from the new moderator

1. Richard J
    Richard J
    Greetings all. Please tell me introduce myself, Richard Johnson, as the new moderator for the Band Room. I have only been playing a mandolin for 8 months and have never played any instrument of any kind, unless you count the kazoo as an instrument. I am a 8 year survivor of a traumatic brain injury, and bought myself a mandolin, as memory therapy. Learning a new skill helps short-term memory immensely.

Being a huge fan of the Band, & seeing them play many times, and remembering that Levon played the mandolin in many pieces, I started wondering if a mandolin is something I could do. I guess I really didn't think that much about it until last year when I saw two people jamming together in a coffee shop playing guitars and folk music. After a song, one put down his guitar, picked up his mandolin and they played "Life is a carnival" followed by "The Shape I'm in". When they were on a break I talked with him who told me just enough about playing mandolins, that I was hooked. Started driving around pawn shops, local music stores selling new/used instruments, online mandolin stores trying to figure out prices and what kind a mandolin to purchase. Since my budget is limited I knew that a used A-style mandolin was more then enough for a beginner. I was able to find a really good sounding & looking Kentucky KM-172 on Craiglist (less then half price of a new new). It's been 8 months now since I bought that mandolin, and 7 months after I found a class with a great instructor in the Homestead Picking Pallor. Practice at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours everyday and can play 6 songs by memory. Am I any good? I can't judge that, but I love playing my mandolin, and am now saving money to buy a better mandolin then my cheap one. My classes are all traditional or bluegrass songs, so my "song list" doesn't include songs from the Band. Except, I can play "Life is a Carnival", but only strumming chords not picking (I'll have to ask my instructor to write that song in tabs).

So anyway, when Ed asked for a new administrator for this group, I though "why not" and here I am. I will try to post new items on our board as time allows, and I hope that all members of this group will as well.

Keep on picking, RJ.
  2. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    RJ, thanks again for taking over moderation of the Group. I appreciate it, and I'm here if you have any questions.
    My first mandolin (two years ago) was a KM-172, and I still remember it fondly. Great mandolins and incredible values!