Week #7 Poll

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the link to the poll for Week #7.

Right now, my plan is to have a new poll each week (subject to change, once I start traveling this summer!). I've changed it so that you have just ONE vote, so please vote for the tune you'd MOST like to have be week #7's tune of the week.

Some of the suggestions submitted, were for tunes already submitted as 'other tunes'. O'Carolan's Concerto is in the O'Carolan Tune thread, and Banish Misfortune has already been submitted.

My instinct, to try to keep this a manageable collection of tune/videos, for people coming to this group late, is to try NOT to duplicate tunes. If a tune already has a discussion thread started, I would like to see others submit their versions in THAT thread. However, I'm here to just see that ya'll's wishes are carried out to the best of my ability, so if I'm overrulled, that's OK!

I will post the new tune of the week for week #7 on Friday!

We hit the 100 member mark this weekend.... yippeee!
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    I agree Barbara. Those other threads are still open and can be posted to anytime... Multiple threads for the same tune will be just confusing...
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Okay, ya'll, it's Tuesday, and only 7 of you have voted for next week's tune. Maybe that's because just 7 of you are even going to consider submitting??? If you haven't already voted, please use this link to go to the poll.

Barbara
  4. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    I was thinking that we are going at such a pace, that we may not remember the tunes we learned 4 weeks ago. Perhaps for week 8 we could do a 'before and after' - everyone select one tune of the ones from the first 7 weeks, and link to their original video, plus post an updated version to record how much progress has been made.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That sounds like a good idea! There are many directions this group can take, and many functions it can perform! Since these will be here forever (well, for a long time anyway), if the tune pace is too fast, you can work on them at your own pace! By people continuing to post videos to old threads, it brings them back up to the top.... Weeks #1 & 2 still come around pretty frequently!

Some of our members have only been playing the mandolin for a few weeks, others a few decades! I want this to be a fun group, from which we can all benefit. One in which we are SOCIAL, in addition to learning tunes... Interaction, and all that stuff, you know!

I also think that members posting separate 'additional' 'non-tune of the week' videos, of simpler tunes, played slow enough to be of educational value to the 'newbies' is a good way to give them something to work on to build up the skills to the level of the harder tunes. And if it's next year before they get to the point that they feel confident enough for video week #1, well, we'll get to see it come around again!
  6. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    This is probably not the right posting to ask this, but is there a way to have subtopics within the Group, like performances, weekly tunes, information, etc.? There are already 2 pretty full pages of topics and the group is still young. In a few months it may be pretty hard to find anything but the latest postings.

Tom
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Tom, I don't really know. It's a discussion board at it's root, and it looks like this format is all that is available to me. I would like to try to keep some continuity, in having the title of the tune as the topic of the discussion, or, in some cases, the 'type' of tunes within (Carolan tunes, Cowboy tunes, etc). I haven't investigated what kind of search function comes along with this format...
  8. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    You could make 1 topic and put there the links for:
    Song of the week 1
    Song of the week 2

Then you'll be linked to these topics without having to look for them. Every week you can edit the 'main' topic and ad 'song of the week "insert number"'.

So there will be still individual topics about every song, but you can put them in a list (with there link) and that make's it possible to find them muc faster (you could make 2 topic: one for the songs of the week, and one for all the other songs). It's not the intension to post video's in those topics, these are there only to find the songs.

I hope it's a little understandable what I'm saying?

greetz,
    Kenneth
  9. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    agree with Kenneth- it would be like the Table of Contents post - and if you edit it every week to update the next song it would stay near the top
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok! I've spent the morning working on this. Each discussion has a limit of characters, so I had to break the table of contents up into parts. Official Tune of the Week, Other Tunes (so far, parts 1 & 2), & Discussions. There is no way for me to make these 'sticky' to stay at the top, and, at the rate we submit stuff, they will move down, but I will update date them as I can (shouldn't take as long to do as it did today, if I stay on top of it!), so they should come back around near the top somewhat regularly!
  11. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    This is great. Thanks so much, Barbara.

Tom
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    Barbara, we really appreciate all the hard work you've put into this group. Visiting the messsage board has become a highlight of my day. It's like getting together with old friends.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks! It is like getting together with old friends!!! I can envision a world-wide network of mandolin connections.... just think, for those who travel, we might just have a mandolin friend everywhere, who we can visit in person!

My summer is about to get hectic, and I will try my best to keep this thing updated while on the road!
  14. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Barb, I like the new format. It's a great way to keep everything organized!
  15. billkilpatrick
    absolutely - mega kudos to barbara. "serendipity" can be described as pools of good fortune waiting for one out there in the dark and distant future. if i (we) keep at it, in the space of one year, i (we) will know and be able to play - in one form or another (still working on a descent rendition of "squirrel hunters") - 52 fabulous songs ...

grazie barbara! yay!
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, it's Thursday. We have 22 members who have voted so far. If you haven't voted for week #7's tune, please do so now! So far, Big Sciota has 6 votes, Salt Creek, Liberty & Cold Frosty Morning each have 3 votes, Harvest Home/Off to California, Lost Indian, & Colored Aristocracy each have 2 votes, Bill Cheatam has 1, and Brian Boru's March & Swallowtail Jig have none. So, with 106 members, I'm sure we have some more of you who care about the next tune! It will be announced Friday around noon!
  17. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Happy Friday, everybody!
  18. billkilpatrick
    tgif ... been leaning heavy on the end of the week ... bye-bye "squirrel hunters" ... wha's next? ... avanti!
  19. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    I'm still fighting with "Squirrel Hunters" (they're still winning) and I am not familiar with any of the new suggestions, so I have no preference.
  20. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Squirrel Hunters didn't appeal to me at all (not a Mike Compton fan), so I'm looking forward to something I know (assuming the current leader holds on).
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    So, there have been 25 voters. I'm wondering, since this poll was one vote per person, if ya'll would rather use this poll for another week or so, and this week will be the first place winner, and next week, the next highest. That way, ya'll wouldn't have to be prodded to vote, AND, eventually, everyone's tune would come around? Or, do you want to start a new poll every week?
  22. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    You could do the best three songs. And make a new poll in about three weeks? Or every month a new poll and the best 4-5 songs are done in that month?
    I don't mind, it's ok for me if you start a new poll every week
  23. billkilpatrick
    i'm ok with whichever is easiest for you, barbara.

i'm glad we did "squirrel hunters" - showed me that i may think i have a song when in fact, i don't. thanks to david's ssslllooowww video, i think i've got it at last - graziemille, david. to paraphrase some advise i read elsewhere, i've got to listen more to suck less.
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ha ha Bill! At our band practice, we'll often end a tune, and one will say, well, that didn't suck!