Let's hear them!

1. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    For the first post of the new group I thought I would focus on the most important thing about a mandolin, the sound. Let's hear some sound clips of your Gil!

Here's an older one of mine:
    Fishers Hornpipe
  2. JFDilmando
    JFDilmando
    My gosh... talk about intimidation !!!! LOL. I will try and get something together but how can I get into the same barroom as that number... bravo... fun picking, great .
    I will try and find something on my gil and post.
    JohnD
  3. SternART
    SternART
    Who were you playing with there? Mike Marshall or Chris Thile?

Man, I have a "killer" Gil 3A on the classifieds for 3 weeks now.........this instrument would have sold in a day or two a few years ago.

Hey Chip, do you have a Smart fan fret 10 string?
  4. JFDilmando
    JFDilmando
    OK... I've been defeated... I have no idea how to get a sound clip downloaded to this site... I don't havce one of my own to which to link like Chip does... nice site BTW, Chip...

JohnD
  5. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    John, email me your clip and I will post it. Thanks for the nice comment about my clip.

Arthur, I play Smart 10 string #4, it's Lawrence's personal demo instrument but he has been kind enough to give me a long term loan as we play in a band together. He has been building #5 which I hope to be the owner of soon. I have even had the chance to help with it's construction in some minor ways!
  6. SternART
    SternART
    I played Mike's at the Mandolin Symposium.........those 10 strings are quite the beast. You should have heard Danillo Britto wailing on it!
    I used to jam with Lawrence & the Yurt Bros. when I'd visit McCall. Becky Smith & I would drive up when Lawrence finished instruments for me......those Yurt Bros. like to jam on the Dawg tunes I like to pick. But hey......this isn't the Smart zone, so back to Gils.......lets see I've owned a Model F5, a Model 3, an oval hole A4, an F5 Artist w/ bound f holes, a Model 3 Artist w/ bound f holes, and an F5C classical Gilchrist. I think that is it.......a few were Dawg hand me downs, I ordered two of them from Steve. All were stellar instruments!!!
  7. SternART
    SternART
    Looks like my Gil 3A is returning to Australia.
    The gentleman there certainly won't be disappointed.
  8. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Sorry to hear that Arthur, hopefully it's because you have something even more exciting!

Tell me about your classical, I have not had the chance to play one of those.
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Arthur, I'm glad (and sorry) someone bought your A. It was certainly calling my name like a Siren song.

Chip, I can't keep up with you, but here's a little promo video I made for a recording I did that features 3 Gilchrists: a Model 1, Model 5, and H-1 mandola. The cello is a 20s K-1 that I no longer own.

The first lead is the Model 1, low lead is the H-1, and the Model 5 plays the high harmony the last time through. The photos are all near my place, a hundred miles from nowhere out on the desert sand in New Mexico. I hope the video's not too commercial.

You can hear more tunes featuring the 3 Gilchrists at http://hillbillychambermusic.bandcamp.com and on my youtube channel.
  10. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Don that sounds great! 3 Gils, what a treat.
  11. Ronbo
    Ronbo
    Here is my 1983 Gilchrist F5 that I've had the pleasure of playing since 1988.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rpenning...10/41TIdJ5Jdwc
  12. masa618
    masa618
    Nice to meet you.
    I think that the Gil sound of all of you is really splendid!
    And I look forward to a lot of your nice sound clips.
  13. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    My website has changed so I am updating my first post and adding a new clip I recorded today as demo with my duo partner. It features him playing a Smart D18 style guitar and me on my Model 3.

Fishers Hornpipe

Summertime