New Ashton Bailey Cast Tailpiece

1. Bill Z
    Bill Z
    My Dorado came with the stamped tailpiece. For purely aesthetic reasons I changed to a cast tailpiece like the early ones had with the Ashton Bailey (before Morgan Monroe threatened to sue because it looked too much like their mandos).

The tailpiece did not lie flat against the outside as purchased (not sure why), so I carefully tapped the piece with a hammer and soft piece of wood, with the tailpiece lying on another soft piece of wood. Luckily, brass will bend quite a bit before anything bad happens. It now lies pretty much flush, with no stress marks anywhere. New holes had to be drilled, but the two outside hole are almost covered by the new tailpiece. Not going to mess with trying to fill the holes...

Kind of finicky changing strings now, but I won't have to worry about strings breaking around 90 degree tab bends (not that the high quality stamped piece did this, but it's happened on others).
  2. jake-mando
    jake-mando
    Take a gob of fun tack and stick it on the top of the post. It will stop the sting loop from coming off. It also won't leave a mark, and you can use it over and over. Just for fun! LOL. The bummer part of that tailpiece is that it does not match up with the holes of most stamped tailpieces. I'm a little to fussy with this mando. It is likely the last one for a very long time. That next price jump is way out of my reach. Besides depending on the brand your not getting anything better except for a big name anyways.