M11W/Last Minute Jitters

1. Japhy
    Japhy
    Anyone have any experience with the M11W? I'm poised to buy one next week and I'm having last minute jitters about buying something I've never played. No dealers near where I live. Also I can't find too many reviews on the M11W. I'm a fairly new mandolin player and anything is better than what I have now but I still need a bit of reassurance I suppose. Thanks.
  2. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    I had a M-11 for a short time, the neck had been "improved" (I bought it used) and I really didn't care for that aspect, but that was the sweetest, nicest sounding mandolin I've EVER played. I'm going to order another one (new) as soon as I have funds available. No worries.
  3. multidon
    multidon
    Are you buying new or used? I haven't played the M-11, it's all mahogany, so I imagine it would have very distinct voice. The wide nut is nice, I wish mine had it. I can tell you that Mike Dulak uses top quality wood and his workmanship is top notch. As long as you don't try to use it for bluegrass (the voice will not be percussive enough for that- no "bark") I think you will be very happy. Mike's instruments are often all the mandolin many people need.
  4. Japhy
    Japhy
    Thanks for the advice. No I'll definitely not be playing bluegrass. Also, I am buying a new one. Hopefully mine will be ready this week. I haven't been able to find anyone that's disappointed with them so far. I'm going to keep this mandolin it being my first real mandolin. My next step is to figure out what to do about a pickup or if I even want one at all. Thanks again.
  5. Japhy
    Japhy
    So what do you make of this quote?

"Just unpacked the M11W. It’s very nice and seems to be a bit lighter build than the last one we had, making it significantly louder and more responsive."
  6. multidon
    multidon
    Well, a couple of things come to mind. First, the evaluation is very subjective. He thinks it "seems" to be a "lighter build". Based on what? Did he weigh the old one and compare the weight to the new one? No. I highly doubt that Mike Dulak has changed anything about how he builds his mandolins, he has a winning formula, and his equipment is set up to build mandolins using his tried and true methods. Secondly, though, if the perception that it is lighter than usual is correct, it may be Mike got in a batch of lighter mahogany This can happen with mahogany, it does vary in density. I would think that, in an all mahogany mandolin, lighter would indeed be better, as your guy says. The lighter density would indeed make it louder and more responsive. And that is a good thing.
  7. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    One of the nicest things about Big Muddy mandolins is that they are built by a super nice guy named Mike Dulak. Call him and ask him, he'd be happy to talk to you and answer any and all questions (not that we mind), but you could get it straight from the horses mouth. I've got an M-0 (mahogany/spruce) that is lighter than my walnut/spruce, but it plays as well. These are solidly built mandolins.