Celtic Connections

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just back from a great ceilidh evening (Friday 20th Jan) at the Pearce Institute in Govan where the band were the Occasionals, led by Freeland Barbour on accordion and featuring Kevin McLeod on electric tenor Deering banjo - a great instrument which sounded really well in the set-up of the band which also featured Mairi Campbell on fiddle and Gus Millar on drums, and Sheila McCutcheon who very ably called the dances.

Later in the month and of great interest to all the mandolin players and others here are David "Dagger" Gordon and his son Colin on guitar who are playing at the Piping Centre in Glasgow on Wednesday 1st February. Hope to see some of you there.
  2. Niall Anderson
    Niall Anderson
    Would love to go along to Dagger's gig, but suspect I won't make it free of commitments here in Edinburgh to get over the M8 in time... Have a great time if I don't see you there.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Dagger and Colin provided a great evening's entertainment at their Celtic Connections gig in The Piping Centre last night - Wednesday 1st Feb. They were one duo of two playing at the gig, the other being Kevin Henderson, the Shetland fiddler and Swedish guitarist Mattias Perez. A good and varied programme with the Gordons playing mainly traditional tunes from their new CD and K and M a mixture of Shetland traditional tunes and one or two Swedish pieces included.
    Dagger kindly welcomed some of us as members of the Mandolin Cafe site and Neil Argonaut and I had a good blether with him and Colin during the evening.
    Thanks for a great musical experience, guys, and especially the finale when all four musicians joined for a rousing set of reels.