nitrocellulose finish

1. billkilpatrick
    here's something you might find interesting -

i have a cheapy, chinese-made, shoulder-less fiddle with a nitrocellulose finish. in an attempt to make it look more "early" ("baroque-izing" it) i took some fine grain steel wool to the finish and knocked the nitrocellulose "bling" back a bit. as a consequence it looks less like a giant piece of caramel coated candy and more like a fiddle. it also yielded a noticeable improvement in tone.

i did this to my loar-600 at the same time i substituted its bridge for one from cumberland acoustics. might be a combination of the two procedures but my mandolin's tone has improved a lot.

if you try this, wear a mask or - as i did - sit outside in a stiff breeze and avoid the fine dust. your loar will look less glossy but if mine is any indication, it'll make it sing
  2. Ron McMillan
    Ron McMillan
    You are getting brave, Bill. I don't have my LM400 yet (July delivery to here in Bangkok is anticipated anxiously), but I doubt if I could contemplate taking steel wool to it.

I see frequent mentions of 'fine grade' steel wool on the forum, and while I understand what it probably is, I have never come across the stuff. It must be pretty darn fine if it can amend the finish on a mandolin without the results looking like a kindergarten woodshop project.

ron
  3. billkilpatrick
    stumbled across some in the local paint shop - i was curious about it too. the result knocks the high gloss back a bit, that's all - makes it look like you've had it for years.

july is a very, very long way away - commiserations
  4. mfeuerst
    mfeuerst
    I'm amazed at the thought of taking steel wool to a new Loar 600. Any pictures? Is this steel wool 000 or 0000 or something else?
  5. Ron McMillan
    Ron McMillan
    July long way away? What are you talking about - it's only the month after next, or anything from 8 to 11 weeks or....you're right. It's too darn long away
  6. Ben Milne
    Ben Milne
    Interesting Bill... I think I'll grab some grey scotch rite from a jewellers supply and give this a shot when I get to swapping out the bridge. I've noticed how NC finish seems brittle and chips when dinged... From a lesson called one mandolin on the couch at a time.
  7. almeriastrings
    almeriastrings
    That's because it is not a 'real' nitro finish. It is a coat of nitro over an enormously thick coating of poly. The outer nitro seems rather prone to flaking off... much more so than a 100% nitro finish that is properly bonded to the wood. So much for truth in advertising!