impressed with the MD815V

1. SilverAngelFan
    SilverAngelFan
    I should start by saying that I wasn't looking to by another mandolin. I saw that Acoustic Vibes had a new MD815V and I was intrigued to hear and play a varnish F style mandolin with an adi top for around $1500. I did some research and found a used one at the Mandolin Store for $850. So I decided to drive there first. I played the Eastman and switched between the several Gibsons, Webers, and Flatirons they had in the store for about an hour. I have to say based on pure sound, this Eastman was the best mandolin in the store. So I bought it. I jammed with it last night and everytime I needed it, it came through. I had a good friend and mando player test drive it and look it over. I told him not to look at the name. After he said "Oh man!!!" a few times, he said "What is this a Nugget?". I'm a believer in this model and I'll try to get some youtube videos linked so you can hear and see this thing.

Thanks for reading,

John
  2. SilverAngelFan
    SilverAngelFan
  3. Mando Smash
    Mando Smash
    I love my 815 too!
  4. Rayne
    I love my 815V. It sounded so much better than any of the Webers in the store. Plus the name 'Weber' sounds like something my grandma would own.
  5. pdb
    pdb
    I own two 815v mandos. A new 2011 I purchased from Stephen Perry and a two year old model I purchased used recently. The new one has much wider grain on the top, it's not as pretty (wood quality) as the older one but it sounds better to my ear. The wider grained spruce really makes this mando have a deeper, more open sound. The fit and finish on the used one is better with better woods. It has more midrange but less woody and less deeper sound than the new one. I think this might be due to the tighter grain top on the used one. I don't think the older one has been played much and it is still opening up. It may take the tight grain top a little while to open up. Both are great mando's and I plan on keeping both. Very satisfied with Eastman mando's. One thing I was surprised by is the older mando has a sharp, pronounced v neck like a collins. The new one has a rounded non-v neck.. I guess this is something that Eastman has just recently changed in their 815v models. The fingerboard width is also a little wider on the new model. I actually like both but having small hands, I prefer the more narrow fingerboard of the older model. I don't know if this is something Eastman has changed for the new models or if it's just my mando. Regardless, I am really enjoying both mando's. Great bang for my buck.