Whidbey Island

1. Sarge
    Sarge
    Hey everyone,

Im living on Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor...transplanted here from Virginia a year ago. Ive been attending Irish sessions in Seattle for a few months now, but Im curious if there's any bluegrass/old time sessions going on on/near the island or even in Bellingham. Ive been itching to play some bluegrass for a while.

Not really new to the cafe, just dont post much...

-Sarge
  2. Al Bergstein
    Al Bergstein
    Sarge, just saw this. I've not heard of any bluegrass/old time sessions, but we occassionally do one over here in Port Townsend. We have a couple of 'real' players from Tennessee, etc. Also the Fiddle Tunes workshops at Centrum (Fort Worden) in Port Townsend in June/July is the place to be. Put it on your calendar. Look up Centrum.org. If you send me an email at albergstein@gmail.com, I'll add you to my mailing list if a music event happens here. My main music is swing and choro. I don't do Irish, but came out of the bluegrass world.
  3. johndear
    johndear
    Hey--Total stranger here -- My wife and I live in Seattle, but have a weekend place here on Whidbey. I play mandolin in a bluegrass band called Ryegrass, guys from all over King County--Lynn Oliver on banjo, Jim Hanna on guitar and vocals, Chip Diemond on bass and John Burke on fiddle. (John was Mark O'Connor's fiddle teacher.) I sing too. (I also play fiddle, guitar, banjo and other stuff, but not in the band.)

We're playing near Clinton on Saturday (10/29) at a house concert. We'd love to pack the place--it's a fun venue, in a shop, intimate and great sound. Obviously you're invited, and it would be great to meet you. We're actually pretty good, in my entirely unbiased opinion.

Hope to see you Saturday!

-- Paul Michel
    206-478-4511

Here are the details:

The Chicken Barn Concert Hall Presents:

Ryegrass

Cherished & Contemporary Bluegrass Songs & Melodies

Saturday, October 29th @ 7 p.m.

Hailing from King County, the members of Ryegrass have been performing individually since
    the 1960s and collectively since 2001. The band features Jim Hanna on guitar, Lynn Oliver on
    5-string banjo, Chip Diemond on bass, John Burke on fiddle, and Paul Michel on mandolin.

Inspired by the pioneers of classic Bluegrass as well as modern pickers and songwriters,
    they’ll warm up a chilly Autumn evening with hot licks, sad songs, bad jokes and high, lonesome harmonies.

This intimate house concert in Clinton has limited seating and reservations are highly recommended.
    Suggested donation $15-20.

To reserve a space, contact Ed at:
    (425) 791-1719
    fickbohm@whidbey.net