Ordered a new Yellowstone HT F-style today

1. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Ordered a new Yellowstone HT F-style today.

I had a great talk with Cameron on Tuesday about wood, appointments, etc. Decided to go for a mostly stock Yellowstone HT F-style (in that gorgeous honey stain/tortoise binding) with the few small changes:
    • Red Spruce Top
    • Scooped fingerboard extension
    • K & K Twin Pickup
    • Abalone Fern pattern headstock inlay

Can't wait to spend quality time with it to break in the red spruce top.

In the meantime, my Yellowstone F-style sitka top varnish will have to keep me company...and it's breaking in nicely.
  2. Mary Weber
    Mary Weber
    Great! It would be fun to hear what you think the differences in sound are, and how/if you perceive the red spruce takes awhile to play-in over the next year, etc.
  3. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Will be my pleasure.

I think I'll do some recordings of the mandolin over time; this will help do an relatively objective comparison.

It's one of the great pleasures in life: playing a mandolin to break it in and to enjoy how the tone changes over time. Good times for sure.
  4. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    The HT arrived at my local music shop last Thursday. I drove down to Santa Cruz to pick up it Saturday and went straight to band practice. Got lots of "oohs" and "that's so pretty" comments.

Plays perfectly. Great feeling neck & radiused fretboard. Action is nice and low (how I like it). Tone is very nice and gets a nice projection into the room. Will get even better as it opens up. I'll post pics soon, but let's just say that I'm very happy with the new mando. Thanks to all good folks at Weber and Sylvan Music that helped make this happen!
  5. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Congratulations, Eric!
    Sounds like a great mandolin.
    I look forward to seeing pics!
  6. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Here are some pics of the Yellowstone HT.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3753342...7627817507613/

Been having a blast playing the Yellowstone. The sound cuts nicely in jams and in band practice. I put on D'Addario J75 to see if that makes a difference in tone and I'm quite happy so far, but I was also happy with the J74s. The J75 give a little more depth to the G and D strings, at least at this point in the mandolin's life.

I thought I was already hearing it open up, but when I changed strings, I realized the tonal difference I was hearing was just the strings getting dead :p

Still really enjoying it. I get lots of compliments on the "pretty mandolin" and I'm really liking the tone and the function it serves in the band so far.

Great mandolin, wonderful people and great service at Weber. Thank you all very much!