uber newb #2 with bonaparte's retreat

1. ColoradoKitsune
    ColoradoKitsune
    Ta da! newbie style.
  2. ColoradoKitsune
    ColoradoKitsune
    some audible mistakes but worlds better I think. LOL!
  3. scootergirl62
    scootergirl62
    Great Job! You can really see so much progress since your last video!
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wow, you've picked a difficult piece there! You are developing fluency quite quickly. Your left-hand technique is quite advanced for a newbie because you fret the right spot without looking - I've been practising for nearly a year and a half now, but I still stare at my left hand! Your right hand isn't visible in the video, but the tone is coming along nicely. What's the mandolin and pick you're using there?
  5. ColoradoKitsune
    ColoradoKitsune
    Thanks guys!!!! I appreciate it. I practice the scales needed for the song a fair amount so I get the muscle memory for the left hand notes. It's boring but it seems to work. I was having a difficult time finding the right place for that top note though. tooo much pause.
    So the mandolin is a Savannah 120 and the pick is " usa207"
  6. onawhim
    onawhim
    you can really see you've practised big time - i too am still at stage of staring at my left hand. on the odd occasion I don't i start thinking random things like 'what shall i have for tea' - then its all gone to pot
  7. jdawson
    jdawson
    Your progress is very apparent in that video. Whatever you are doing for learning/practice, it is working nicely!
  8. ColoradoKitsune
    ColoradoKitsune
    mostly just perseverance. I've been breaking the music down into measures and just getting those as good as I can before I move on. I don't have a ton of free time so I try to make the best of it. Keep in mind that song was recorded after an hour or so of "de de dee" stupidity and ugly mandolin playing. lol.
  9. jdawson
    jdawson
    You definitely can't have much "quit" in you when learning this can you? I wonder if there is a common timeframe, given say 1 hour daily practice, where the basics become automatic and you can just pick up the mandolin and play. I look forward to that time!
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm not sure if "me too" posts are desirable on this forum, but ... me too! :D
  11. ColoradoKitsune
    ColoradoKitsune
    well with any skill, to progress one should practice at least 3 times a week for 2 hours minimum. i'd say 6 months to a year on that scheduale and you would become pretty comfortable with things
  12. scootergirl62
    scootergirl62
    I try to practice each day - I aim for at least 30 minutes at a time. It's hard for me to do blocks of an hour - I'm hoping that splitting the time up doesn't backpeddle the progress. I don't want to over do the practice time, since I'm pron to repetitive motion injuries in my arms (tendonitis) and I err on the side of caution with that - I'd rather go slower than have to stop.
  13. jdawson
    jdawson
    I have been practicing about 1 hour a day and I think I am progressing at an acceptable rate. However, one thing that has made me stop and go back was alternate picking rules as defined in Greg Horne's Beginning Mandolin book. The rules state to always keep your hand moving up and down to the beat, but if you watch him on the DVD, he doesn't do that. When I try to do it, I get messed up quickly. I may start a new thread on this, but want to try to find an existing one first. So far I haven't found one that adequately addresses my questions about this.

Sorry to ramble.
  14. scootergirl62
    scootergirl62
    I haven't gotten that far in my lessons yet. I'm just working on downstrokes. I did make a video yesterday - let's just say I'm going to be practicing A LOT. LOL. I'd like to see a thread about these rules myself!

And isn't that what forums are for? No need to apologize!
  15. jdawson
    jdawson
    I can now play a simple tune like Soldiers Joy reasonably well at slow speed but I am hesitant to try to build speed unless I am following the "rules". The book states that strict adherence to the rules is required to build speed later. I will post a notice here if I have to start that thread to get answers. I just don't want to hijack this thread for another subject.

Very cool that you have made your initial benchmark video. I need to do that too I suppose.
  16. jdawson
    jdawson
    Ok, I just had to go ask the question and here is the thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...396#post950396
  17. scootergirl62
    scootergirl62
    Awesome! Thanks!
  18. jdawson
    jdawson
    Isn't it nice how fast you get sincere help on this forum? I don't know what I would do without it.
  19. scootergirl62
    scootergirl62
    It is. So much knowledge and help here - I agree!