2011 Tour

1. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    The 2011 Tour starts in one week. Will you be tuning in this year? Any dark horse predictions?

Looks like another Contador-Schleck battle, with the same likely outcome. The Americans might have one or two in the top 10, but we are unlikely to see a podium finish. It will be interesting to see if Chris Horner edges his teammate Levi Leipheimer like he did in the Tour of California. I hope Tyler Farrar can win a stage from Cavendish this year.

In any event, I am looking forward to hearing the play by play from Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen with color commentary from the Bobke all while noodling on the mandolin.
  2. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Should indeed be interesting. Wiggins looks to have regained some form and Evans appears rested, for whatever that's worth. Andy Schleck hasn't yet demonstrated good form, as recently as Tour de Swiss, so we'll see. Contador says he's still tired from the Giro, but he seems to be from another planet, so it's hard to bet against him. I'm guessing we'll see at least a dark horse or two. Van Summerin or Sammy Sanchez might surprise a few people.

I'll be noodling right along with you!
  3. Scott Tichenor
    Scott Tichenor
    Tuned in. Laptop in hand, check. Coffee, check. Tour recorded on DirecTV so I can fast forward through the same commercials over and over, check.
  4. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    I like your approach Scott. Those commercials take a lot of time and break up the flow. It was a treat seeing Tyler Farrar win a stage on Independence Day. The Americans are doing well so far, but we'll see how they hold up in the mountain stages... Stage 5 is now in the books. Some spectacular crashes (okay, small by NASCAR standards) and a classic finish by the Manx Missile.
  5. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    What a crazy first week. Hard to believe that there have been so many high profile crashes eliminating riders I really wanted to see contend in the mountains, especially wiggins and horner. Not sure how many more TdFs that Horner has in his legs at his age, but he sure looked fit and ready this time around. Very sad.
  6. craigmurray
    craigmurray
    Indeed a great first week. THOR!!!! what a showing. Looking forward to the mountains.
  7. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Interesting days in the mountains. I thought maybe we'd see more separation of the favorites, but no one seemed to be able to ride away from the select group of contenders on Saturday. Let's hope we see more fireworks in the alps this week!
  8. Spencer
    Spencer
    Voeckler has been amazing, nobody expected him to keep the jersey, but he was right up there with the big guns on the mountains. Don't know if he can last, but he has been the highlight of the Tour for me. He has never been afraid to try something.

Could be a couple of wild days coming up, word here is the Contador is feeling better and will try to attack. Can't remember a Tour when so many have had a real chance to win so late in the race. I'll be in front of the tv the next couple of days, retirement has it advantages! We get to see the entire big mountain stages here, with no commercials.

Enjoy - Spencer
  9. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Wow, what a tour this has been. I'm happy to see that Evans finally won the maillot jaune today. The Schlecks Achilles heel (time trialing) did them in, but they are so young, that it's just a matter of time before one of them is victorious. Contador put in a noble effort the last few days but could not overcome his substantial time deficit. Voeckler rode out of his mind this tour and wins the True Grit award (okay, I made that up).

Evans deserves the prize IMHO after years of coming close, and it must be a huge relief for him and his Aussie fans. Also nice to see BMC kick some butt with long time domestique George Hincapie hauling the mail. Hats off to Evans, the Schlecks and their teams.

USA notables: It was nice to see Tom Danielson finish in the top 10, and Tyler Farrar win a stage and Christian Vande Velde in the top 20. Better luck next year to Levi Leipheimer and Chris Horner.

For our friends across the border, congrats to Canadian Ryder Hesjedal for a top 20 finish.

Champagne on the Champs Elysees tomorrow. Vive Le Tour!
  10. Spencer
    Spencer
    Agree pretty much with Steve-O, just want to acknowledge Voeckler again, made a bad choice on the Alp d'Huez stage in trying to catch Andy and Contador on his own. Had he fallen back with Evans, he could very well have been on the podium. Don't forget his young teammate Rolland, who helped him most of the way through the race in the mountains, and took the last stage and the youth jersey. Someone to watch in the future.

Good to see a competitive and interesting race.

Too bad a wonderful effort by our Norwegian neighbors Thor and Edvald, with 4 stage wins, was darkened by an enormous tragedy in Oslo. Send a kind thought to the Norwegians today, they need it.

Spencer
  11. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    The Tour is now history. I'm with you Spencer on congratulating the Norwegians. They were marvelous this tour, winning 4 stages with only 2 riders in the race. Yes, and a bittersweet celebration for them with the tragedy in Oslo.

I also agree with your assessment of Voeckler on Alp D'Huez, but I'm not sure he'd have made the podium anyway as he was running on fumes for the last week. He made a super human effort though and should be proud as is his country.

Congratulations are due to Mark Cavendish and HTC. Nice to see the UK get 5 stage wins, especially after losing Brad Wiggins.

It was a very enjoyable tour, despite all the crashes. The one that really sticks in my mind is the one where the press car swerved and took out several riders. That's a fear I live with every time I road bike. Let's hope next year's tour is safer. Thanks for the sharing your thoughts here guys!

P.S. Time to turn the TV off and get back to playing manolin!