Tell Us about Your Highland Strings Mandolin!

1. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    I recently began a search for a builder for a two-point mandolin. After a thorough evaluation of many builders, I decided to commission a 2-Point blackface Orpheus mandolin from Jason.

My search is detailed at length in this Cafe thread, but what really sealed the deal for me was having the opportunity to spend a week with one of Jason's Orpheus mandolins. Jason graciously allowed me to demo Orpheus # 035, and that mandolin just blew me away with its tone and playability! My review of this great mandolin can be found in this thread (see post #4).

So, I'm quite excited to say that I will soon be the owner of Highland Strings Orpheus # 047! Here are her specs:

Two Point Orpheus Mandolin (Highland Strings Instrument #047)
    Took Possession on 11 June 2011
    Body Style: Custom two-Point
    Soundhole: Custom Highland Strings Segmented S-hole
    Bracing: tone bars (Red Spruce)
    Soundboard: Engelmann Spruce
    Neck, Back & Sides: Natural Cherry
    Fretboard: Radiused Custom Bocote - (12" Radius) with shortened fretboard extension (no pickguard). Fret markers on side only.
    Nut Material: bone
    Neck Width at the Nut: Just a hair under 1 3/32" (2.75 cm) with the edges of the nut rolled for comfort and appearance.
    String spacing at Nut: Just a hair under 1"
    Neck Shape: Shallow Offset V profile
    Frets: large (Gold EVO .080 X .043)
    Neck Construction: one piece with wings at headstock
    Neck Reinforcement & Joint: (1/4" X 1/2" carbon fiber with handcut dovetail)
    Headstock: Custom with Imbuya Burl overlay and bound Ebony stylized Raven's head inlay.
    Tuners: Grover tuners (Gold with white pearloid buttons)
    Tailpiece: Highland Strings custom wood and brass (Bocote, Ebony & brass to match appointments)
    Bridge: Custom Highland Strings adjustable (Bocote Bridge with radiused Ebony saddle)
    Colors: Opaque Blackface on Soundboard, Natural blond on sides, back and neck
    Finish: Oil Varnish (with Tung Oil violin or 'speed' finish on back of neck)
    Point tips: Bocote wood to match binding
    Additional Inlay work/appointments: Top & Bottom Bocote wood binding, plus purfling.
    Armrest: Highland Strings original (Ebony)

I'll be sure to post pics of the build as work progresses over the coming months.
  2. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    I took possession of my Orpheus today.
    Named "The Raven", this mandolin has exceeded all of my expectations. Fantastic build quality, appearance, tone, and playability.
    Some pics of the finished mandolin can be seen in this forum post.