brands of mandolins

1. jeffmac74
    jeffmac74
    Hello. My son, who's 8 and has been playin' mandolin for over 2 yrs, wnats to go from the a style fender mandolin to the f style. We've looked at some Kentucky and some lower end Gibson models. Any suggetions on which one is better or if anyone knows anther brand. Thanks....
  2. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Can't say cuz' I haven't tried either. But I think you'll get a lot more answers if you post your question on the main message board.
  3. Lance Pitts
    Lance Pitts
    Hi Jeff, there are several great options to choose from for one seeking an F Style mandolin. As with most things higher priced does not always equal better. Look for key words such as, solid wood, carved top-back. One thing to watch out for is making sure the mando you choose actually has an F5 scale neck. Some names I would suggest would be Michael Kelly, Kentucky, Eastman, Entry Level Gibson. Like I said Higher does not always equal better. I also would advise you to actually play before you buy. I have owned and traded several lower end mandolins and have had good luck with all the above mentioned makers. Good luck and best wishes on your mandolin hunt.
  4. flscci
    flscci
    I just purchased a morgan monroe MMS 8 and I am very please with it. It barks like the best F models and has very nice action. This was a new mandolin so there is a break in period and I adjust the intonation ect. Shop prices! Good luck!
  5. jeff francis
    jeff francis
    Hi Jeff, I understand what your asking I was in the same boat .. 1st mando fender a style elec. got me hooked then went to a Michael Kelly legacy plus , and now a weber SE but I agree with lance, lots of imports that will keep you motavated reckon thats the main thing in someone thats just getting the bug. same as above, a good set up is key .. great fella in homewood will do the job for about 110.00