Local Bands

1. Mootin
    Mootin
    Who are your favorite local bands?
  2. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I always enjoy The Grass Pack. They're a hard driving traditional bluegrass band.

I also enjoy bands that have Mike Jonas, though I haven't had the pleasure to see his latest project, The Michael Jonas Band

How about you? Got any favorites?
  3. Mootin
    Mootin
    I've heard the Grass Pack several times and I like their playing. Very solid. Having spent some time at the Folk School, like you, I guess you hear them a lot. I remember John Higgins from the Flying Mules (love that band).

The fiddle player in my band mentioned yesterday that he went to hear the Foggy Memory Boys and I believe he said Jonas sat in. Whoever it was, he said they played some great music, including several Tony Rice and Grisman tunes.

Swing DeVille is outstanding.

I wish Natural Bridge would play out more.

I just have feeling there is some outstanding music going on in this town that I am not hearing.
  4. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Swing DeVille is outstanding, I agree. I'm sure I'm forgetting others - let's hear some other bands.
    Don
  5. Mootin
    Mootin
    Thanks for the link to the Michael Jonas Band. Terrific solos!! I'll definately go see them.

I'm really impressed with Andy Ploof (of Music Folk). He's mostly playing with Rough Shop these days. I have taken guitar lessons from him and I was amazed by his attention to detail. I would play back a fast passage and he would say things like, "That is OK but the 7th note should have been struck with an upstroke." He would be right but how in world he could hear it was beyond me.

That's it for now. I guess I need to get out more!! Part of the problem is that I can't sit in smoky bars for long.
  6. John Flynn
    John Flynn
    The Buckhannon Brothers, with Curtis Buckhannon on mandolin and his brother Dennis on guitar. Also rare appearances by Cousin Curtis and the Cash Rebates, an expansion of the Buckhannon Brothers, adding two fiddlers, Emily Buckhannon and Lindell Blackford.
    http://www.thebuckhannonbrothers.com/index.htm

Duddybreeks, with Ken McSwan on octave mandolin and mandoln, as well as guitar. It also occasionally includes Thayne Bradford on mandolin and fiddle; and Steve Hartnett, who plays Irish tenor banjo and 'zouk, as well as guitar and bodhran.
    http://www.myspace.com/duddybreeks
  7. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    By the way, the Grass Pack are playing tonight at the Atomic Cowboy in St. Louis. Outside, free, nice weather.

4140 Manchester Road
    St. Louis, MO 63110
  8. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    the Grass Pack show last night was great. They seem to have added more material. Did 3 full sets. Beautiful night.

Don