picking....

1. Wayne Bagley
    Wayne Bagley
    I am finding that picking is quite different on the mandolin than the guitar.

Any hints on finding those strings and /or picking exercises that we should be doing?
  2. Ryan Zerby
    Ryan Zerby
    I started with some open string exercises and didn't worry about the left hand. Do patterns like GDGAGEGA, DGDADEDA, AEADAGAD, EAEDEGED... If you're the kind that likes instruction material, then I liked Mike Marshalls' "Finger Busters" and his first DVD on HomeSpun, both of which give ideas for patterns similar to the one I mentioned (He calls the pattern a "pivot" in the book).
  3. Raganlarry
    Raganlarry
    An exercise i am working regularly. Take the G/D/A strings, down stroke on top or G, up and up on A, then D. D/U/U, until familiar with patterns, then work thru scales thru the top string. Can do same with D/A/E. Gives solid cross picking, as well as scale memorization. Thanks to musicmoose.org for the idea .
  4. Wayne Bagley
    Wayne Bagley
    thanks guys
    that's the sort of information I'm looking for. Anything to help improve Right hand technique is good. My picking is just beginning to come along on the guitar but I find picking on the mandolin quite different.

I am using a Blue Chip pick on the guitar but so far I find I like my V Pick on the mandolin.
    But technique is what it is and I know (no matter what pick I use) it's going to take time.

It' seems like it necessary to dig in more at every course of strings to get both strings evenly?????......
  5. Ryan Zerby
    Ryan Zerby
    I also had the sensation of needing to "dig in" to get good tone. Counter-intuitively, holding the pick much lighter helped my tone considerably. I was gripping it so tight that I was even dampening my pick clicks. Look at this video of Chris Thile and see how floppy his pick is!

My exercise was to try to hold the pick as lightly as I could and let it be floppy in my hand. I would imagine "passing" the pick from thumb to finger as it went over the string, as if only one digit was touching it at a time: Push with the thumb, catch with the finger and pull back, catch with the thumb and push...

I was going slow and listening for the double pick click.. k'klick... k'klick.. k'klick. That also helped get both strings going for better tone. It also let me lower the pick deeper into the strings without having to fight them like I did with a tighter grip.

Of course, I'm a self taught beginner, so your millage may vary.
  6. Wayne Bagley
    Wayne Bagley
    thanks Ryan

very helpful advice - I'm going to sit down and give this a try.
  7. Wayne Bagley
    Wayne Bagley
    thanks everyone for your replies.

I will try the exercises.
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I don't play guitar so I have no idea how it compares, but I've found that I'm catching both strings in a course evenly by doing the precise opposite of "digging in" - that is, making sure that only the tip/edge of the pick touches the strings so that you don't get stuck on the first one.
  9. Wayne Bagley
    Wayne Bagley
    I wanted to come back to this post and say thanks to everyone for the very helpful responses.

Particularly Ryan's description of how lightly he picked the courses was quite helpful. I feel that my down-strokes are improving (as I keep this in mind) and I'm striving for efficiency in my picking .

Now I'm getting to the section of the book covering eighth notes so I need to work on the upstrokes.

It's just begun............
  10. Theo W.
    Theo W.
    Just remember! Loose grip, loose wrist! If you want to make sure you're hitting both tune one string in a course flat, then you'll hear if you hit them both! I used to do that .