how we got our SA's?

1. D C Blood
    D C Blood
    I regret to say I didn't get my Silver Eagle (Cynthia) from Ken himself, but rather second hand. (traded my wonderful '83 model Charles Horner for it at Elderly Inst. in Michigan.) Did most of y'all folks get your Silver Angels and Ratcliffs from Ken by order or trade or purchase from someone else..."inquiring minds want to Know"
  2. Mark Walker
    Mark Walker
    I got both of my Silver Angel mandolins directly from Ken. I almost bought a two-pointer from a guy just a few miles away who bought it from Ken directly and chose to sell it less than a year later, but didn't have the scratch to pony up at the time.
    A friend of mine (Angelfire on the Cafe') actually turned me onto Silver Angel mandolins in about 2001. She was taking mandolin lessons, and had wanted to buy one before I even knew about Ken's mandolins, and gave me his website link. I called Ken and he indicated he'd just sold an F5 to a guy about 35 miles south of me, and gave me his contact information. I called the guy, and he invited me to stop in and 'test drive' it. I did so, and ordered one about a week later! (I'll have to dig around and find the name/serial number of that mandolin I test drove...I DO have a picture of myself playing it!)
    It wasn't long after I got my first Silver Angel that 'Angelfire' (with whom I'm now a member of a Gospel Bluegrass band - 'For Heaven's Sake') bought a Silver Angel A-style - #33 - from the House of Silver Angel. I know of at least five or six Angels within maybe 30 miles of me here in West Michigan!
  3. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Got mine directly from Ken.

Found out about Ken initially from a guy that had a Silver Eagle, with the relief carving and a painting on the back. That was Pete Stiles of the Meat Purveyors, a high-energy bluegrass band out of Austin. I loved his music and his tone and asked him about his mandolin.

Maybe a year later I started looking into small builders and Ken was on my list. I exchanged a few emails and decided to pull the trigger with Ken. Couldn't be happier with the decision.
    Don
  4. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    I had been reading a lot about them on the Cafe. The tone (always described as deep) intrigued me.

Then, just browsing the Cafe classifieds, my model "A" came up for sale. I contacted the owner (in Seattle, I believe he was). Ran the serial number by Ken (and Laura) at the time. They described the instrument in great detail, and gave me a good idea of what they would value it at.

The price that it was being offered for fell much below their estimated value, so I decided to take the plunge.

No regrets!
  5. SilverAngelFan
    SilverAngelFan
    I found one in a music store in Nashville that was a varnish Neo-classical style from around 2000-2001. I fell in love but I wanted a traditional F-style. I called Ken and drove up "Ratcliff Mountain" and played several new F-styles. I picked out my tone woods the next day. My only regret is that I didn't get two! I think I might get a one-piece back distressed someday.
  6. tburcham
    tburcham
    I purchased mine second hand, but it was so close to new that I was able to transfer the lifetime warranty through Ken for a reasonable sum of money.
  7. jasona
    jasona
    Bought mine from Charles Johnston.
  8. Patrick Sylvest
    Patrick Sylvest
    Custom build directly from Ken. I'm quite attached to it.