good on-line mandolin source

1. billkilpatrick
    for what it's worth, i've had two orders from this on-line seller (one tone guard with strings and another order of strings) with prompt delivery and reasonable shipping costs - owner, oliver waitze seems like a nice man:

http://www.newacousticgallery.com/
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That looks interesting, and just half an hour driving distance from me - Thanks for the hint Bill!
  3. WillFly
    WillFly
    Looks like a great shop - pity it's so far away from me (UK)! Some of the instruments look excellent - but I could never, ever buy online. In fact, I now have all my instruments made for me by this local luthier: Ian Chisholm - he's local to me, a friend, and we play in the same band. His guitar prices are currently in the £1,000+ range - mandolins would be less - and he makes instruments which have tremendous clarity and projection. I'm currently awaiting a parlour guitar from him.

Just down the road, in Brighton, there's also The Acoustic Music Company...
  4. billkilpatrick
    being just down the road from trevor would be sore temptation for me. i think (crossed fingers smiley symbol with eyes cast on high) i've got all the instruments i'll ever want - certainly more than i'll ever need - but strings are difficult to find here in italy and as with previous orders, postal charges from thomann and others was way over the top.
  5. WillFly
    WillFly
    Bill - I'm staggered to hear thatmandolin strings are difficult to find in Italy - the home of the mandolin! Are you in a rural area, i.e. away from a decent physical source? I can understand that Italian online services may be very different from over here in the UK, but I'd always assumed that mandolins were part of the fabric of Italian life. Or am I being naive!
  6. billkilpatrick
    it's true, we do live a bit in the woods but after 20 years, i've yet to find anyone who plays mandolin. here in tuscany it's considered "neapolitan" - beyond the pale. strings are available at the two music stores in siena - about an hour away - but one has light guage only (from gibson) and the other has a limited supply of expensive strings - dogal's calace, carbon steel strings being one: very well suited for my mid-missouri flat-backs but not for my F-4 and F-5 models.
  7. swampstomper
    swampstomper
    NAG *is* a great shop, and Oliver *is* a great guy! He often comes to EWOB (Voorthuizen NL), not sure about this year. He also holds concerts and workshops in a delightful small performance space in his shop in Solingen. Last year I went to a Beppe Gambetta concert and a Don Stiernberg mandolin workshop (the next day was Mike Marshall, too much for me to handle in one weekend!) Solingen is close to Düsseldorf, you can get there by S-Bahn. It is known as the cutlery capital of Germany (like Sheffield) and is in a nice hilly setting. If you visit don't miss the nearby Neanderthal museum to visit your ancestors :-)
  8. almeriastrings
    almeriastrings
    Looks like he has some interesting stuff, though his prices seem extremely high to me. I picked up a couple of brand new Lakota leather straps recently on Ebay from a store in the UK that cost only €27 (delivered) each to Spain.... NAG has the exact same ones at €59.90 each, which is quite a difference, to say the least!

Love those Alessi 'F' tuners with the ebony buttons, by the way... stunning, but I suppose at €500+ they should be.