Cupid's Waltz

1. SweetTea
    SweetTea

This waltz I learned from "Steve Kaufman's Favorite 50 Celtic Jigs and Waltzes for Mandolin". I played it all except for about 8 bars of the "B" part. Pinky required in that section and I still am working on using it so I just played what I could. Hope to hear some more Mandolin Waltzes. Care to share?
  2. Leigh Coates
    Leigh Coates
    I have that book too,... I'm going to dig it out and learn that one. Thanks!

Leigh
  3. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    Leigh,

Page 17 in the book. Have Fun.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is the ABC for that tune, for those that want to use it to generate the notation:

X:1
    T:Cupid’s Waltz
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    R:Waltz
    K:G
    D2|GFGABc|d2B2B2|c2A2A2|B2G2D2|GFGABc|d2B2B2|
    c2A2F2|G4:||GB|d4 Bd|e4 ge|dedcBA|B2G2 GB|
    d4 Bd|e4 ge|dedcBA|G4||g2|fa d2f2|gb d2g2|
    fa d2f2|g4 GB|d4 Bd|e4 ge|dedcBA|G4||

If anyone wants, I can scan the standard notation and include it in this discussion. Nice tune! Thanks for adding it!
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    SweetTea, I have a suggestion that might help with your pinky playing. It looks to me that you could straighten out your left wrist more, instead of having it bent back the way that you do. This will bring your fingers around toward the top of the fingerboard, and should give you more spread and reach with your fingers.

Maybe pictures are better than words. I just made a quick video, to try to show you what I'm saying.

6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Let me add that the straight wrist position is one of the very first things they tell you when you learn to play the violin. There usually is plenty of opportunity to see it in action when there is a classical concert on TV.

Bertram
  7. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    Thanks for the advice and picture. It really helps to see what you are talking about. I will practice the hand position. I have noticed a little soreness in my fingers lately after I have been playing for awhile.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    I liker waltzes. Let's keep this category going...
    Here's The Pernod Waltz.

9. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    Eddie,

I like your Waltz. I am going to learn this one.
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    The ABC etc. is in TheSession.org
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    SweetTea, I've made a short video of the 4 measures of Cupid's Waltz there at the end (not the last 4, but the 4 before them). I really like this tune, and shall video the whole thing shortly.

We talked about your wrist/hand position, and how changing it should enable you to play the 7th fret with your pinky.

The key to these measures is: Keep your first finger planted on the 2nd fret of the E strings the whole time. On the 3rd measure, where you play the 3rd fret with your 2nd finger, keep IT planted as well, when you play the 7th fret with your pinky, then the 5th fret of the A strings with your 3rd finger. Keep your first and 2nd fingers planted, and bounce your 3rd finger between the 5th frets on the E and A strings.

In looking at the video, I see that I'm not always keeping that 2nd finger planted, but it would help.. keeping that first finger planted is crucial, and lets you get that pinky and then the others, without losing your place
  12. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    Barbara,

You are exactly right. I have been able to use my pinky since I have changed my left hand position. I am feeling muscles that I have not used before but I can tell it will help if I keep practicing. I am trying to retrain my left hand now by practicing this correct position with the FFcP scale exercises. I will try planted my 2nd finger as you desribed above as well.

Now that you pointed this improvement out to me I look back at my video and realize how cramped my hand was. Unbelieveable!!! Surprised I could play it at all. Ha. Thanks for the advice.
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Those FFcP exercises are perfect for getting your left hand into the correct position. You don't have to really think about your HAND, because the act of playing those notes the way he's got them, your hand just gets into the correct position! I love this tune, and am still working on it! Barb