Gilchrist Timeline

1. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Here is a post by member Mark Daly with a basic timeline of Gilchrist models. I felt like this needed to be posted here for posterity:

Here is a very brief Gilchrist mandolin chronology from the post I provided on the Mandolin Café in 2006.

Steve began building mandolins in 1975. He has built over 600 instruments. They have evolved. Notable Gilchrist milestones include the following:

1975 – First mandolin built using a Bill Monroe album cover as a guide.

1979 -- First mandolin sold in the United States (#49).

1980 -- Move to Nashville to work at Gruhns for about a year. Steve introduced his x bracing and use of varnish finish (versus lacquer) with mandolin # 80-81 (81st instrument). He built 19 instruments while at Gruhns.

1981 – Move back to Australia. 100th instrument built (F-5 mandolin). Logo changed to underlined script "Gilchrist" (similar to Coca-Cola typeface).

1984 -- Change from nickel to sterling silver plated hardware.

1990 -- 200th instrument built (F-5 mandolin). Began new model designations (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).

1991 -- Built new workshop in Warnambool with new tooling and gigs. First Red Spruce topped mandolin (#203).

1992 -- Classical model introduced (#221). Carmel Music becomes USA distributor.

1994 -- 300th instrument built (Classical Model 5 mandolin). Artist Model introduced (#298). "Blueprints" catalogue published.

1997 -- 400th instrument built (A2Z oval-hole mandolin built for Andy Statman). Hinged tailpiece introduced. Change to French polishing varnish finish.

2001 – 500th instrument built (Model 5 mandolin -- formally owned by Steve Gilchrist). D log (400 year old maple for backs and sides) used on certain mandolins.

2006 – 600th instrument built (Model 5 mandolin)

There are excellent examples of Steve's mandolins from the early days to his most recent batches. I have had the pleasure of playing many of his instruments. Like any mandolin luthier, instruments vary. With that said, one of my favorites is a mandolin he built in 1981. However, I believe that Steve keeps getting better. Specifically, the consistency among his more recent batches is very high. Steve’s craftsmanship and attention to detail have always been exceptional. He has a great “eye” for choosing the right wood. Even more important, he has a terrific “feel” for turning wood into tools for musicians that enable them to create great music. Another point to consider is that Steve is a wonderful Monroe-style mandolin player. I believe this helps him create instruments that are appreciated by players and listeners alike.

Today, there are many excellent mandolin luthiers out there. Steve's mandolins are certainly among the best -- both his old and new mandolins. His personal quest is for his best instrument to be the next one he builds.

End of 2006 post.

Mark Daly