Whatever Happened to Week #4?

1. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Unless I missed something, we haven't heard suggestions for Week #4 yet. Barbara usually selects the tune for the next week on Friday, but here we are at Thursday and I haven't heard anything. If it's not too presumptuous, I think Soldier's Joy got a decent amount of support last week, so why don't we do that?

Other suggestions will be welcomed, of course. I like seeing all the other tunes that people are posting (I plan to add a few myself soon), but I think we should keep the focus on posting different versions of a new tune every week.
  2. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Yeah, what's the scoop for Week 4? Bring it on.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    No, Ken, you haven't missed anything. I'm OK with Soldier's Joy. If anyone has any other suggestions, please post! I'll post mid-day tomorrow with the final selection for Week #4! Thanks for everyone's contributions!
  4. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    Shussshhhhhhhhh. Some of us are still on week one!

John
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    An O'Carolan tune so that we can start an O'Carolan thread.... Fanny Power?
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey Eddie, I love O'Carolan, and started a thread JUST for O'Carolan tunes. I've already submitted O'Carolan's Concerto and Hewlett. Are you wanting to learn Fanny Power, or do you already know it?
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    I can play it on the tinwhistle, I'll try to add it to the O'Carolan thread...
  8. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Might be good to leave Ireland for a week. (g) I like Ken_P's "Soldier's Joy" suggestion. That said, I went looking for confirmation that it is an old-time American tune, but the origins are obscured in time's mists.

There are a host of different lyrics that go with the fiddle tune, which I know thanks to Google.

Chicken in the bread tray scratchin' out dough,
    Granny will your dog bite? No, child, no.
    Ladies to the center and gents to the bar,
    Hold on you don't go too far.

Here's a verse from the Skillet Lickers' in the 1930s:

Well twenty-five cents for the morphine,
    and fifteen cents for the beer.
    Twenty-five cents for the old morphine
    now carry me away from here.
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, That would be great! I'm kinda in a dilemma. There's those that are really wanting/needing the 'song a week', but there's also a members who may already know those tunes, and want to have the pool of tunes available here, to be bigger than just the tunes of the week. That's why I've been contributing the ones other than the tune of the week, and have been encouraging others who are already proficient at some tunes, to put theirs up, as well.
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    I'd like to learn "Wayfaring Stranger" at some point... There's so many different versions I need someone to copy from and "enhance" (make it easier)...

That said, I'm game to try Soldier's Joy...
  11. billkilpatrick
    "soldier's joy" is ok with me. i don't know it and would appreciate the "song-a-week" impetus to help me learn it. if we keep this up, come may, next year, we should all have 52 old-time songs under our belts - something i probably wouldn't do on my own.
  12. willh
    willh
    I'm up for Soldier's Joy. I don't know it, but I know it is popular. It's an appropriate song for me as my son is coming home on leave from West Point on Saturday.

Will
  13. billkilpatrick
    it should be noted that the song is about morphine ... dating from the civil war, i believe - hope that doesn't put anyone off.
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, having recently had morphine do it's wonderful job on me, in the ER when I was writhing in pain with appendicitis, I sure don't have a problem with it!
  15. DryBones
    DryBones
    Soldiers Joy has many faces and stories of origin. The Soldier's Joy 1864 is definitely about morphine but that is not the most commonly played version. Other stories relate back to the revolution when it was played to announce that payroll had arrived in camp.

1864 version

Classic fiddle tune version on mando, not me though!