Just an intro!

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Richard,
    Just saw this new group and decided to see where it will take us. i too am in Scotland, In Cowal in Argyllshire and contribute to the Song-of-the-Week Social Group and the Octave group.
    Lets see if we get any other takers!
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lonely in here, isn't it! There must be some others out there who might have an interest in this group. Do you need to live in our beautiful land to join in?
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    It is now June and maybe time to admit that we are not going to get any other posts in this group. I will retreat to the very active Song-a-Week Group once again.
  4. Shelagh Moore
    Shelagh Moore
    Hi John!

Yes, it is quiet here isn't it! I was hoping for more interest given that there are a fair few players around in Scotland. I'm based in Perthshire myself and started the social group hoping some folks might join up with the idea of getting together for the occasional jam or sharing local information. Hope to hear from you!

Richard
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Richard, and any lurkers out there,
    I am based in Cowal in Argyll and play regularly with a group of friends - we call ourselves The Old Bores and there's a story there for another time. Tomorrow we are playing at the Sandbank Gala here on the Holy Loch and have played at this event for the past three years. Last weekend we played over at Hill of Tarvit, a National Trust house near Cupar; it was the Annual Event for Girlguiding Scotland and a lovely day was had by all.

On the first Friday of every month we gather at the Whistlefield Inn on Loch Eck, about ten miles from Dunoon here in Cowal for an open mic night where anything goes and all are welcome, players, singers or just listeners. Folk come from quite a wide area and the music is very varied, from folk to ceilidh to pop. You might consider a visit to it at some point.

Let's keep the group going and maybe from small acorns we can raise a reasonable oak!

John
  6. Shelagh Moore
    Shelagh Moore
    Hi John,

Yes... I'd be pleased to come over to Cowal to one of your sessions!

Richard
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Richard, you'd be welcome. the next is tomorrow night (2nd July) though I am not going to be there. The one after that is Friday 6th August and then the first Friday of each month thereafter. There is bunkhouse accommodation at the hotel which some of the others who come from outside the local area use, and good food at the hotel.
    All the best, and great to see the group (well both of us) active!
  8. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Sorry lads, I didn't spot this group before I posted my own one, so as your group was already here, I will close mine down.

But seriously, of course there's certainly no sense in trying to run them both!

Cheers
    Dick
  9. 8stringthing
    8stringthing
    Hi Guys, greetings from the badlands of Lanark. would have joined the group sooner but news travels slow in south Lanarkshire! I will try to get down to Whistlefield for a tune at some point. where is the session in perthshire?
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Welcome to the group, 8stringthing! Since you are from Lanark I will assume this is actually your name and not a nom-de-plume! Just kidding, and please do not send round the boys to sort me out.
    It would be good to see you over here in Whistlefield as there are others who come over from "That" side of the Clyde fairly regularly and join in the fun. We are always keen to welcome new faces, and Kate and Allan do a good pint of Guinness among the many beers they sell there. Hope to see you soon,
    John
  11. Shelagh Moore
    Shelagh Moore
    Hi David,

The session in Perthshire is in the Tappit Hen in Dunblane every Tuesday night. You're welcome if you're about (as are all here).

Richard
  12. Conor Kelly
    Conor Kelly
    Hi all, i've been using this site (lurking) to learn mandolin for the past 7 months and in my quest to find another mandolin player in Ayr i've stumbled onto this group. I'm a guitarist of 13 years but since my partner got me a mandolin for xmas i've gone mando crazy and i play my first live session on Thursday, which i'm looking forward to.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hello Conor and greetings from another Kelly! I am across the Clyde in Dunoon, so not so far away from you.
    Two other site which might be of interest to you are Nigel Gatherer's www.nigelgatherer.com and the UK based Mandolin.org.uk.
    Ptarmi of this parish also has a lot of stuff of interest - see his postings in the Song-of-the-Week group and in this group too.
    You'll soon be posting your tunes on the SOtW group!
  14. Conor Kelly
    Conor Kelly
    Hi John, thanks for the welcome. Us Kellys are everywhere, eh?

Ive just checked up on all these guys (you included!) work and all i can say is wow. I feel like an imposter on this this forum now. But practice makes perfect, or so they say. I just wish more people in Ayrshire were interested in learning traditional music.

Those mandolins you make look amazing, by the way!

15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Connor,
    You have made the first big step in joining the group and from here on it gets easier. You have identified yourself, so certainly not an imposter! We have our monthly gathering at the Whistlefield Inn on Friday evening (this Friday is the next one, 6th August) and you'd be very welcome should you decide to make the crossing. There is a couple from Wemyss Bay area who come over regularly just to listen and they keep coming back!

It might even be possible that you could get across this side of the Clyde at some point in the near future; some of us meet up for impromptu sessions on Sunday evenings after the summer has gone (What summer, you ask?) and we have a real mix of abilities, music and people, usually about 6 to 8 of us.

Give me a mail should you be interested at some point.

Thanks by the way for kind comments re my mandolins - much appreciated.