Good idea for a group

1. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    I've got Neoclassical #481 built in late 2008.

Love to get another,but - don't play bluegrass
    don't play electric

I'm hoping Rolfe will develop another model - more jazz without the pickup, or perhaps something totally different.

I simply love the tone and playability of this instrument.
  2. lmartnla
    lmartnla
    I've got the Phoenix mandolin auctioned for Butch last year. I chose a Europa II, with a single piece back, I think one of the first 2 Rolfe made. He added a custom inlay of a Unicorn on the pick guard for me. I play it regularly and it may be my wife's favorite. It has the side port and that certainly makes it louder for the player, but I think it is quite loud out front too. I put in at least as much time on other mandolins with heavier strings so not to get too dependent on the light strings. Posting pictures if I can figure it out. My groups play at bluegrass, old time country, folk, and blues pieces. This Phoenix seems to come through well on everything. Since all mandolins can sound and play so different, I like to switch around a bit. I suppose that may retard technique, but it is so much fun.---Lou
  3. LKN2MYIS
    LKN2MYIS
    Lou -

Sounds like a beauty. I remember the auction and that I envied the winner!
  4. pickloser
    pickloser
    I love my Ultra. It was made in 2000, #250, and used as Rolfe's demonstrator until I lucked into it. I feel like it was made for me, though, because it meets every mandolin need, is kind to my hands, and puts a smile on my face with that marvelous tone. Sounds soooo nice with JM 11s. I leave work looking forward to playing it.
  5. lmartnla
    lmartnla
    I'd like to play all the other Phoenix models like the Ultra, Bluegrass, Deluxe or Standard, but the only Phoenix other than my own that I have seen is another Europa II. An older friend bought it after playing mine and liked the feel of the lightweight strings on his painful joints. It would be scary though because I might be tempted to buy a different one. I love mandolins.
  6. Eliot Greenspan
    Eliot Greenspan
    I play #438, a custom deluxe, finished in late 2006. couldn't be happier...
  7. Greg Sheik
    Greg Sheik
    Are serial numbers issued consecutively with each model or are instruments numbered consecutively as they come of the line?
  8. Rolfe
    Rolfe
    The serial numbers are consecutive from the very beginning, which means Unicorns were #001 to #149; Phoenixes picked up at #150. I think we are around #530 now. They are almost always in order of build, not of model grouping. Sometimes there are delays like "Quilting" #430 was just recently fiished after sitting on the shelf for a long time while I tried to figure out how to make tiny quilt patterns out of shell or wood, gave up, and did the thread inlay.
  9. Acquavella
    Acquavella
    It is no secret that I don't like flatback mandolins. However, I recently got a 2003 Phoenix Neoclassical. Absolutely love this instrument. It is so easy to play. It is the only American flatback mandolin that I will perform with. The Neoclassical is such a powerfull but delicate instrument. It is perfect for choro, contemporary pieces or even Calace preludes. I performed with it last night for the first time.......have been receiving compliments about it all day today. Well done Rolfe.
  10. lmartnla
    lmartnla
    I am surprised to read that the Neoclassical is a flat back mandolin. I do believe Phoenix backs are carved. What about this, Rolfe?

Oh, maybe you are considering all American mandolins as flat backed compared to bowl backs?
  11. Rolfe
    Rolfe
    It is a carved back, but all carved backs are flat compared the bowlbacks.