Billy in the Lowground

1. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Heard this on the radio the other day and realized I used to play it. Now, however, I'm struggling with the bowing--other than 2 and 6 notes per stroke, I'm experimenting with breaking it into two measures of 3 notes/stroke, then 2/stroke: 3 3 2, repeat. How are other folks playing this?
  2. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    yep. that's a good C tune. im knee deep in C tunes of late. Denver Belle, Back-up & Push, Frog on a Lillipad, Rawhyde.

i tried to play everything Missouri style, one note per bow. But watching Kenny Baker messed my mind. He often pulses that bow. So it's sort of a low-bow. Seeing how it's new to me, i over use it. im headed to the woodshed to see how it comes out, because i just don't pay attn.
  3. catmandu2
    catmandu2
    Yep...if I had to play it for you right now, I'd Missouri-bow it. That's my default if I can't figger anything else out. For me, I can accent and syncopate much more by grouping notes together, oddly.

I've been working with a Kevin Burke video to polish up my Irish chops, and his bow is always fascinating. I'm basically trying to apply that approach to everything!

Well, the B section (of Billy in the Low...) works very well with 4/stroke, and that works for the A part too, I guess.
  4. David M.
    David M.
    Here's my band's version of Billy In THe Lowground, for what it's worth.

http://www.fiddlehangout.com/myhango...6020&archived=