Kudos to all the participants

1. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I really enjoy hearing everybody's posts.

It takes a bit of nerve to make a video of yourself playing a new tune or one you only kind of know (after a bit of practice), and post it in public.

Recording yourself and then listening to what you like, and don't like, is an excellent way to improve, in my opinion. I learn something every time I (force myself to) hear myself play something in an audio or video recording. You hear it one way when you're playing it, and another when you hear it played back. At least I do!

My guess is everybody, no matter what their playing level, hears things they want to work to improve when they listen to recordings of themselves. This is a great learning experience. I hope y'all stick with it.

And thanks to our gracious hostess for starting this and her kind words of encouragement.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Yes, I second that! I hope that we are able to turn this 'social group' into a great learning tool for us, and for those that come behind us! I know that there are a number of you out there, who can pretty easily video yourself playing tunes that you really like, and do well. I encourage you to go ahead and do it, and post them as new discussions... don't wait for them to come around in a song of the week selection. We are all chomping at the bit to learn!

You DO learn something about yourself when you record. More so, if you end up, like me, having to do something like 10 takes before you'll even consider submitting it! I have yet to submit a video that isn't FULL of flubs (not to mention bad hair days, sitting around in my jammies, & worst housekeeper of the year!)! Instead of being overly critical, and not submitting a video unless it's near perfect, I tell myself that videos, even those with flubs in them, are beneficial and educational to others (and ourselves!) These videos aren't meant to be viewed as "LOOK HOW PERFECT & PROFESSIONAL I AM".... but rather, what we would be doing, as friends, if we were able to sit around and jam together!

So, thanks to you all for joining & participating. I would love to see the membership in this group grow and grow! So, if you don't already have a link to this group in your signature that shows up in the regular message boards, take a minute to do it now.

If you look at all the other social groups.... they started off with a bang, but the majority of them, don't really have much to TALK about! Our group is the most active one of them all!

Keep it up!!
  3. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I agree Barbara, I've been doing videos of me playing my bouzouki ever since I started playing because I learn so much from watching other people on youtube I felt I would be benefiting the cause by recording myself. Maybe I can help someone learn a new tune by watching me. And my videos are far from perfect. I have to laugh sometimes... if you watch my face, my mouth moves when I play complicated melodies. It takes so much concentration to play some tunes, it's impossible to look cool all the time. It's all about the music though
    Keep on sharing everyone!

www.youtube.com/kyle25rs
  4. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    "I have to laugh sometimes... if you watch my face, my mouth moves when I play complicated melodies."

I do that also, my wife kids me about it and I have tried to stop but the more concentration playing requires the more I am likely to. (I tell her I am giving the tune some extra mojo)
  5. Chris Keth
    Chris Keth
    I pretty much missed the whole Whiskey Before Breakfast thing, so I'm working on that now because I really like the tune. When I'm a little more comfortable with that I'll be right here to learn the next one.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    PanaDP, when you feel good enough about WBB, go ahead and video it and post it as a new discussion here on this discussion board, and maybe we'll get a whole new thread on it here!

The good thing about the way this social group is set up; whenever a reply is posted to an old discussion, it moves it back up to the top of the list, where we can all read it again. So, our as we get older, our earlier songs of the week can still be bumped up, just by replying and hopefully posting a video!