I am now a Bowlhead!!!

1. Leigh Coates
    Leigh Coates
    Hi:

I just acquired a 1975 Suzuki bowl back mandolin from a tiny music shop in Topeka, Kansas (called The Kansas Guitar Exchange). We're passing though on our way to Oklahoma, for a holiday. There she was, hanging in a window calling my name,... so I bought her. I don't think this mandolin was ever played, it's in perfect condition. It's funny, because I didn't bring a mandolin on this trip, so as to make the flights and connections easier,.... and then I go and buy a bowl back in a gig bag. The trip home should be interesting. I think I'll be holding it on my lap the entire way.

So the strings are vintage 1975. A fellow suggested I restring it with lights, or perhaps extra lights. I'd also like to buy it a proper case. But even with the ancient strings it sounds marvelous. I'd post a picture, but I don't know how to do that on a social group; but I did post a couple already on the main group.

I'm glad there are others on here with these beautiful, graceful-looking mandolins,

Leigh
  2. tortuga
    tortuga
    Congratulations on your recent addition to the family. I am starting to really understand that feeling of a mando "calling your name"! Sometimes you just can't resist. I had trouble too trying to add photos to this group. Maybe someone can help us out. Let us know how that flight with your bowlback on your lap turns out.
  3. Richard Sanabia
    Richard Sanabia
    Congratulations from me also. I got my Suzuki with a cracked neck joint, otherwise, a beautiful 1975. After debating on whether to hang it on the wall, or strip the hardware off, I planed off the fretboard, repaired the well done joint, (it was easy to remove and copy, then I grooved the neck and added a steel square rod, then made a new fret board, glued the whole thing back together, refinished it, and I am very pleased at my "new" mandolin. I really like this Suzuki. I recently got an Italian mandolin from Jake, a restoration he did. After comparing the two, the Suzuki has more sustain and brilliance.
  4. Richard Sanabia
    Richard Sanabia
    Here's a picture of the repaired Suzuki. The fret board is thicker than the old one, and raises the board higher, and I changed the scale length to 13 7/8. Never having heard the mando before, I am curious about the changes the length made. Sounds good....OOOPS, I don't remember how I got the "browse" button to upload a picture.....
  5. Richard Sanabia
    Richard Sanabia
    Well, I was able to post the picture of my weird Suzuki on my blog. Take a look there until I learn how to move the picture here.
  6. Leigh Coates
    Leigh Coates
    Well, I made it home with the little mandolin. It was in a really thin gigbag, and the flight attendant wouldn't let me keep it in my lap; but she did put it behind the seat (I was in the last seat of the plane). We had a REALLY rough flight coming into Denver, and it was thrown out into the isle. Luckily it was unharmed.

I put new strings on it, and the sound improved a lot. I really am enjoying it, plus it's a nice reminder of how lovely Topeka was!
  7. zookster
    zookster
    I started life as a mandolin player when I inherited an old Rex bowlback that had belonged to a great uncle. The neck was bowed, but playable. Over the years, I've moved on to many brands of mandolins, both carved and flat, but in the last couple of years, I have returned to the bowlback fold. I now have a Rex Professional with a lovely vine fingerboard inlay (quiet but sweet), a Washburn with the inlayed pickguard and engraved headstock backplate, and a Martin Style 4 with the original leather case. Lately the Washburn has received a lot of playing time. Something about that Cremonatone...... I normally don't perform with any of this trio, but they sure are fun to have around the house. I'm always surprised at the volume and bassiness that these instruments have.

I know a lot of players scoff at bowlbacks as inferior antiques, but they are very fine instruments in their own right.