Report on Strings on my Jam-Master

1. Phil Vinyard
    Phil Vinyard
    Here's what I've tried:

It came with some Gibson strings that were fine but had been on it for a while & were a little corroded.

Switched to J74s and it sounded great.

Tried some Elixer 11525 coated strings. Not as bright a sound, and buzzed when chopping. Not sure why strings=buzzing but that's what happened.

Switched back to J74s and it sounds great again and the buzz stopped. I think I'm going to start buying them in bulk.

Also, last night hosted my Slow Jam buddies in the basement. My wife said she could clearly hear my mandolin playing over the others all the way upstairs and back in the bedrooms. Who needs a microphone!
  2. Space Pup
    Space Pup
    I favor the J-74's too, I have found that D'Addario is pretty consistent with all their strings.
  3. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    I have J74’s on mine right now but so far I still like the Flat Tops the best, cheers Brian
  4. 300win
    300win
    went with single strings from GHS, .115 E's, .16 A's, then J74 D's and G's. I believe this gives me the best results.
  5. 300win
    300win
    update: .115 GHs, .16 GHS, Gibson Sam Bush monels D and G course, OUTSTANDING !
  6. 300win
    300win
    I'd venture to say that my JM with the above combo of strings, plus the fact that I've whaled the tar out of it for the past 8 months, that it is louder by as much as a third than what it was the day I bought it. I'll have to say without any bias that this mandolin is the best one I've ever held in my hands. Everything about it is as close to perfection on sound and playability, as any I've ever picked ! Have I played prettier mandolins ?, yes, but never have any of those sounded as good as this mandolin does. It's a lot like women, I'll take a gal that can cook great biscuits and gravy, rather any super-model thats ever lived.