Larger Frets

1. Marc Berman
    Marc Berman
    Laird was wondering about advantage of larger frets. I don't think that there is an advantage, it's more of a personal preference thing. I friend of mine has a Smart F-5 with "banjo" frets. Both our daughters take a fiddle class together which we get to sit in on. He also plays the fiddle so every week he hands me his Smart. After switching back and forth I decided I like the feel of the larger frets.
  2. Marc Berman
    Marc Berman
    I'm continuing my post because I ran out of room on my first post.

As for the CA bridge I think it makes a BIG difference! I sent my mandolin down to Big Joe's and they installed the frets, bridge and the bone nut. When it came back I noticed the tone was clearer both for the highs and lows, it had more sustain. It also sounded louder to me but that might be because of the cleaner tone and sustain. My only issue is with the height of the CA saddle. My action is a little higher than I would like and I've pretty much have run out of adjustment on the treble side. Steve does supply the bridge with a lower saddle. I'm going to give him a call about possibly switching saddles. Since the big issue with bridges is fitting the base I don't think there will a problem switching them.
  3. Laird
    Laird
    Thanks for the lowdown, Marc. I guess I'll stick with the frets I've got.