Northern New England Mando Setup Recommendations?

1. Michael Gowell
    Michael Gowell
    I live halfway between Boston and Portland. I'm looking for a skilled setup person in this general area to tweak a good bench made instrument. No big issues, just the feeling that it would be a good thing to have an expert look it over... I'd like to make an appointment so I could get the mando back within a few hours of dropping it off.

I did a search on the Cafe and found only one suggestion, Jack O'Brien of Jaffrey NH. That's doable, but given that would be 5 hours of driving round trip I wouldn't mind something closer.
  2. Salmon Falls Strings
    Salmon Falls Strings
    Hi Michael, I would highly recommend Acoustic Outfitters Music Shop (NFI) in Stratham NH (about 15 minutes from Portsmouth NH). I had a bunch of fretwork and a full set-up done on my mandolin about 6 months ago. I was lucky enough that John Miller (played with Junior Sisk among others) was visiting from Virginia and did the work for me. They do amazing work over there and are really good people to deal with.
  3. Michael Gowell
    Michael Gowell
    Yes, I know AO & like the folks, have purchased from them & consigned to them.
    Their banjo work is great, owner Gary played professionally years ago. It sounds like you were fortunate that a gifted mando setup guy was visiting, but I'd rather work with someone who will be in his own shop dependably year after year.
  4. Toast
    Toast
    Have you tried the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. Not really halfway between Boston and Portland. I use them consistently for setup, repairs, etc on my mandos and I have been very happy with their work.

http://www.themusicemporium.com
  5. beanpole
    beanpole
    i had Bill Tippin in Marblehead refret and setup my Eastman and was very pleased with his work.
  6. Michael Gowell
    Michael Gowell
    Thank you all. I also PM'd John McGann & he also recommended Music Emporium as well as Sandy's Music in Cambridge and Richard Stanley in Concord Mass.

For those of you making up your own list of possible luthiers, see the thread on this subject in the 'General Mandolin Discussions' part of the message board that occurred around mid-Oct. Several additional suggestions there. I hadn't known of 'Acoustic Artisans', a 3-person part-time shop in Portland Maine...sounds interesting.
  7. Michael Gowell
    Michael Gowell
    Just to cap this off...I went with Jack O'Brien from Jaffrey in western NH. A long drive but fortunately he picks up/drops off at Acoustic Outfitters in Stratham once a week or so. He made a new bone-saddled bridge for it as well as a setup...fine work.