What part of Alabama?

1. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    What part of the state are you from?

I live in Woodstock, which is halfway between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, just off I-59/20.
  2. Trey Young
    Trey Young
    well I don't live in Alabama any more, but I used to live in Madison (right outside of Huntsville) and I live about 15 miles from the Bama/Georgia state line, so if ya'll will accept me as a honorary member...
  3. Chris Wofford
    Chris Wofford
    I live in Pelham, just south of Hoover.
  4. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    That's close enough, Trey.
  5. Phillip Tigue
    Phillip Tigue
    I'm here in Old Oxford, by way of Gadsden, by way of Scottsboro, by way of Gadsden!
  6. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    In that case, I'm in Woodstock, by way of Brent, by way of Birmingham, by way of Brent, by way of Sheffield, by way of Brent, by way of Auburn, by way of Jasper, by way of Lexington....whew!
  7. Charles Andre
    Charles Andre
    Hello, I live in Dothan. I grew up playing the guitar and have been learning the mandolin for the last couple of years.
  8. Phillip Tigue
    Phillip Tigue
    You win Marty!

But, I was in the Navy...so, can I count all the ports? HA!
  9. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    You've got me there, Phillip. I have a brother that was in the Navy. By the way, is "Old Oxford" the Oxford near Anniston?
  10. Phillip Tigue
    Phillip Tigue
    Yeah...I guess really, just "Plain Oxford" to be precise...
  11. Alan Taunton
    Alan Taunton
    I live in Tallassee. It is about half way between Montgomery and Auburn. I have been playing mandolin about 4 years and am really enjoying the journey. I am 61 years old and still working full time, but I play every time I get a chance.
  12. Phillip Tigue
    Phillip Tigue
    Anyone pick in any groups?

I play with Valley Road out of Alexandria.. (plug www.valleyroadbluegrass.tk or www.valleyroad.weebly.com)

Maybe I'll see ya'll at some festivals.
  13. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I'm in Ashville. An hour north of B'ham
  14. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    Phillip, I thought your name sounded familiar, maybe that's why.

I don't play in a real group, but I do play guitar at church almost every Sunday. I'm just starting to learn to play mandolin, but I'm hooked.
  15. Trey Young
    Trey Young
    I play in a old time/americana/bluegrass group in Carrollton-The McGuillicutti ScotchHoppers and with my good buddy Matthew Williams...
  16. CoMando
    CoMando
    I'm in B'ham. I don't play with a group. I'm not good enough. I join in the slow jam at my place occasionally, but I am usually too busy.
  17. Alan Taunton
    Alan Taunton
    I play in a group called "Camp 1921 String Band". We play old time and traditional mostly. I have recently started going to a Thursday night jam in Lochapoka (west of Auburn on highway 14) hosted by Fred Lord. Fred is a hoot and a great musician.
  18. James Sanford
    James Sanford
    I live in Fayette, Alabama and play locally with The Belk Bluegrass Band. We have a regular show each 2nd Friday night at Belk, Alabama, a small town West of Fayette. Nice to know there are others who enjoy the mandolin
  19. sbarnes
    sbarnes
    i live in madison - just outside huntsville - i do play in a band but it's not bluegrass and i don't play mandolin - well actually i do play mandolin but not in that band......
    www.grits.addr.com
  20. Plectrosaurus
    Plectrosaurus
    I'm way down here in Enterprise. I play mandolin in the group "Pure and Simple". Hello Charles

Ronnie
  21. Plectrosaurus
    Plectrosaurus
    I'm way down here in Enterprise. I play mandolin in the group "Pure and Simple". Hello Charles

Ronnie
  22. Charles Andre
    Charles Andre
    Hey Ronnie, Welcome. Ronnie's band, Pure and Simple, play all over and are good folks. Check them out if they are in your area. Ronnie, yell at me when you are in Dothan and we'll pick a little. I've learned a couple of more since last time.
  23. Plectrosaurus
    Plectrosaurus
    Will do Charles. I'm over there just about every Tuesday night for band practice. I am usually at Perry's Music store by 6:15. We don't get kicked off with practice until about 8:00. I'll be there tomorrow night.
    RR
  24. JohnBean
    JohnBean
    Another Madison resident. I'm taking Guitar lessons (mostly bluegrass, of course), but like to mess around on my mandolin too. I've actually been playing my octave mandolin more recently. It probably just feels more comfortable after playing my guitar.
  25. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    JB, I'm a guitar payer intrigued by mando as well. I've wondered about the difference in a mando and octave mando. What's the scale length on the OM?
  26. James Sanford
    James Sanford
    Marty,

The scale length for OM's seems to vary. I am building a copy of a Gibson H5 mandola at this time.
    The scale length for it is 15 5/8 inches. An OM would be somewhat longer. Probably in the 16 1/2 to 17 1/2 inch range. I as quite a few questions about this on the cafe and got a lot of variation.

I ended up building one which had a 20 inch scale which is quite long. I later put a new neck on it and reduced the scale lenght ot 17 inches.

Hope this helps.

James Sanford
  27. James Sanford
    James Sanford
    Marty, the scale length for OM's vary from 16 inches to 17 1/2 inches the best I can tell.

I asked a lot of questions about this on the cafe and got a wide range of answers. I ended up building one with a scale length of 20 inches. I had problems with the neck so I renecked it at 17 inches.

I am building a copy of a Gibson H5 mandola at this time and the scale length is 15 5/8 inches

Hope this helps.

James Sanford
  28. JohnBean
    JohnBean
    My OM (a Johnson MA-550) has a scale length of ~20", which I think is about average. I've been looking at upgrading to a higher end one, and it looks like some are over 23", which seems closer to a guitar to me. You don't get the long 8 fret stretch that you have on a mandolin, but you do get easy 4 fret coverage, and I've enjoyed the deeper tone compared to the mandolin. You can even do guitar style boom-chick accompaniment without it sounding too odd.
  29. BauerHaus
    BauerHaus
    Howdy....I'm in LA (Lower Alabama), in Daphne, which is east of Mobile. I play in two local bands, The Wayfarers, www.wayfarersmusic.net and Lock, Stock, and Barrel.
    Thanks,
    Steve Bauer
  30. jeff francis
    jeff francis
    from pinson here , play with a group of fellas mostly gospel kinda stuff but having a blast
  31. Phillip Tigue
    Phillip Tigue
    HA HA! I read "prison" at first, not "Pinson!"

Is there a difference? HAW haw haw!
  32. Marty Henrickson
    Marty Henrickson
    It's probably a little easier to get out of Pinson.
  33. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    I live in Auburn most of the time, but live around Dothan during the summer.
  34. bbice58
    bbice58
    Hello everyone just started with the Mandolin a few months ago and i hooked on it . i live in Merdianville just north of Huntsville.

Bruce
  35. Col. Suggs
    Col. Suggs
    I'm in Athens.
  36. Carroll49
    Carroll49
    I live in Woodville. Between Huntsville and Scottsboro. I'm new to the mandolin,,,as in, I don't own one. I was bitten by the bug over a year ago...I thought it would go away...well it's not...so I want to devote myself to this strangeness. It's great being sixty. I need all the help that I can get!!!
  37. Phillip Tigue
    Phillip Tigue
    HEY! I used to live in Woodville. Right down from the rock quarry (and an old log cabin - now gone)! I feel like I'm back home!
  38. Lance Pitts
    Lance Pitts
    Hi everybody nice to see people take some pride in what they love and where they are from. I live close to the Tennessee state line in a community called Piney Chapel just north of Athens which is the county seat.
  39. flscci
    flscci
    Hello, I am in the Holtville area above Wetumpka. I have been practicing mandolin for 5 months. I was surprised how it has helped my guitar.
  40. jeff francis
    jeff francis
    yep pinson, by the way the #1 request from prison is ill fly away... I play in a band called Tableland we do a lot of doyle lawson stuff and hyms that we have added a good bluegrass feel to .. flscci I have played guitar for about 33 years now but have found that I just dont have the likin for it as much as the mando .... its has been my favorite for about 3 years now
  41. flscci
    flscci
    I've been bit....I already have two mandos with different sound an styles. I am shopping for an F to complete my "herd" or is that a "covey"?