new group in San Francisco Bay Area

1. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    Hi all,

I've just decided to start a new group in the Bay Area of San Francisco. Please join if you're interested, and soon enough we'll be able to get together for some jam sessions!

ED
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Greetings from member #2!
    I'm over in Brokeland myself.
  3. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    Welcome! Do you know of any good jams around the area?
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Not really - I'm just down the road from the irish trad session at the Starry Plow and want to drop in there soon. I was trying to start a "kitchen" session, posted an ad on craigslist about it, but didn't get any responses.
  5. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    I'm not much of a celtic player, but would love to dive into it. I don't really play bluegrass either. I guess I"m more of what they call a progressive acoustic player. I.E. Thile, Marshall type music. But I have friends who play celtic, and I play just enough to want to play it more.
  6. Toycona
    Toycona
    Greetings from memeber #3. Do you all go to the 5th Quarter Pizza Place in Redwood City on thursday's at 7:30? If so, what should I expect? I heard a lot of banjos.
  7. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    I was considering going to that jam, but never got around to it. We should go check it out, and if there are too many banjos, we should start our own jam night...thursdays won't work for me anyway.
  8. spailpin
    spailpin
    Hi all,irish trad mandolin player gigging for a few days in irish pubs,wondering if there are any jam type sessions about,i am over in san fran from 17th of september for about 10 days
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    There are sessions at The Plough and Stars pub over on Clement St. - check out the calendar on their website:

www.theploughandstars.com

I think there's a session that started somewhere in the South of Market area as well - if you do a search for sessions in San Francisco over at www.thesession.org you'll most likely find the info for it there. Someone recently posted there of some Sunday sessions starting up just across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Anselmo on Sunday afternoons. If you cross the Bay Bridge and head over to Oakland/Berkeley, there's sessions at the Starry Plough pub on Shattuck - on Sundays & Mondays I think.

If you're going to be in SF on Sept 26th, Paddy Keenan is playing at the Plough and Stars.

Oops - just re-read your post and you specify that you're looking for "jam type" sessions, so I'm assuming by that you don't mean a bog standard trad session. So possibly the info I've provided you with will be of no use!

Cheers,
    Jill
  10. Toycona
    Toycona
    that sounds great! I'll report back tomorrow.

Tom
  11. spailpin
    spailpin
    Thanks jill,will check out those places when i am over,also paddy keenan gig..willie
  12. Toycona
    Toycona
    I played at the 5th Quarter Pizza Pub in Redwood City last night. 4 banjos (3 too many, my wife says), 5-7 guitars, 2-3 mandolins (myself included). So many people a second jam broke out. Both were good...very welcoming for a newbie like me. I'd go back for sure.

Tom
  13. Scott Crabtree
    Scott Crabtree
    I'm not quite jam ready, but do any of you know of any instructors around Santa Cruz? My name is Scott, hello all!
  14. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    Im not sure of any instructors in the Santa Cruz area, although I THINK....big stress on think...the Dawg is there. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm thinking about teaching mandolin a bit myself, mainly beginners. I'm in the Palo Alto area (Stanford) I know it's a bit far, but if you're interested, let me knwo.
  15. Toycona
    Toycona
    I'm taking bluegrass singing lessons from Jack Tuttle at Gryphon (in Palo Alto) as well. I'd really recommend him for a private lesson or group lessons (done both). He's a great musician and teacher.
  16. cyeiser
    cyeiser
    Not quite bay area, but this seems like the closest group for me. I'm up on the Mendocino coast.

Greetings, all!
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, Mendocino - a lovely spot altogether! Welcome!
  18. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    Too bad it's not called Mando-cino...come on, y'all know you were thinkin it, somebody had to say it!
  19. gassman55
    gassman55
    I am somewhat new to the mando. I have taken some lessons and have been playing using that verb carefully, for about 18 months. I take lessons and know a few tunes, Whiskey before Breakfast and currently memorizing Blackberry Blossom. I have been playing guitar for about 7 yrs being an average player.

I love the mando and any involvement into the mando world would be a good thing.

Robert
    aka: gassman
  20. Toycona
    Toycona
    If you're on the peninsula, come to the jam at the 5th quarter pizza parlor on woodside road in Redwood City (7:30). It's a lot of fun and good vibes.
  21. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    what are the dates/day of the week are the jams?
  22. Toycona
    Toycona
    Local (peninsula) jam on Thursdays starting at 7:30 PM at the 5th Quarter Pizza Pub.
  23. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    Toycona, let me know the next time you go, we could meet up.
  24. Toycona
    Toycona
    I'm going to try and be there tonight (7:30 or so). If not tonight, then on 10/15. I have a conflict on 10/8 and 10/22.
  25. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    I think I'm going to be there on the 15th of Oct. I'm going to bring a friend...but look for an asian guy with a white bobelock fiberglass case and an eastman f-5. Look forward to meeting you.
  26. Toycona
    Toycona
    Sounds good. I might be there this Thursday at 9 PM. I have appointments until then, but 10/15 should be just fine. I'm the only regular mandolin in that group right now, so I'm pretty hard to miss. My picture doesn't do me justice.
  27. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    By the way, is the jam Bluegrass focus?
  28. Toycona
    Toycona
    Yes, very much so. i'm one of the youngest players (at 46), so occasionally it gets down right old timey. But there's an occasional gospel song, ample fiddle tunes, and abundant standard bluegrass fare. Mike (the guy who runs it) has a huge song book and repertoir. Very nice guy...like I said a while ago, good vibes abound. As it is, i may see you next week, but tonight is a train wreck, schedule wise.
  29. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    I'm gonna beat you at your "youngest" game. Just you wait! See you next thursday. I'll probably bring my "fiddle" (I play classical violin, but dabble in a little somethin somethin here and there).
  30. Toycona
    Toycona
    Ed, Nicely done!!!!! You and your buddy sounded really, really great. Keep coming back.

Tom
  31. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    hey thanks! I learned a lot from those guys also. It was a very nice way to end the day. See you around at the next jam!
  32. Toycona
    Toycona
    Ed,

Check out the "tabledit" application on the Mandozine.com site for quick mini-midi 'lessons' on the kinds of songs the group plays (fiddle tunes). I play along with the songs for practice. It's a cool tool.

I'll be at the one in two weeks. I have to work next Thursday.

Keep on jammin'

Tom
  33. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    Tom, Have you been going to the 5th Quarter jam lately? I've been meaning to go, but I've been really busy lately. I'll probably try to go either next thursday or the one after.
  34. Toycona
    Toycona
    Not for the last two weeks (work). But I will be there this week, and I'm trying to pursuade my singing buddy to come. He's really, really new to bluegrass, but has and exceptional voice and a willingness to try something new. I've learned a few fiddle tunes in the last few weeks, though, so my playing is not suffering too much from lack of jamming.

See you then!
  35. Toycona
    Toycona
    Sounded great last night. I am amazed at how you grab the melody out of the air and put a great break together. Just so cool. I think "Red Haired Boy" rocked hard last night. I was at a jam in September where at the end of the circle, we 'skated' in that everyone played the break together. That was awesome. So to get some of that going in our own way was cool. Did the vocals sound good on that side of the room? Joe is a really great pop vocalist, but brand new to bluegrass. He thought the whole experience was awesome.

See you next week?

tom
  36. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    Thanks for the kind words! I dont' know a lot of the songs, so I'm still learning, as of right now I'm pretty much pulling stuff out of thin air, but I want to be able to do breaks by embellishing the melodies. I'm learning quite a bit from you guys though. Your friend joe sounded awesome, adding all these harmonies and all. He looked like he had a blast. Make sure he comes back!
    See you around, not sure about next week yet.

Ed
  37. AndyK
    AndyK
    Los Gatos calling ... anybody else in the South Bay area? I just play for the fun of it right now and would love to play with others, but it's too far to travel up to San Francisco.
  38. Tony Avitua
    Tony Avitua
    Hi all! I am not in the bay area, but close by in Sacramento. I am totally new to the mandolin, actually still looking at buying one. I have been poking all around this site and others gathering information that will help me in my new experience.
  39. Toycona
    Toycona
    Welcome aboard both of you. We've got a good thing going in Redwood City at the 5th Quarter Pizza pub on Thursday nights at 7:30. Sacramento is a haul, but if you're looking for a mando, Old skewl 52, make your way to Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto, which is a few minutes from Redwood City (kill 2 birds with one stone). Andy K, I'll let you know if I hear about another Morgan Hill jam. there was one a few months ago. I imagine that there have been others, but i only know one person down there. She said there'd be another soon (spring?).

Happy Holidays!
  40. AndyK
    AndyK
    OK ... maybe I'll mosy up to Redwood City one Thursday. New subject ... I was looking for an attrative floor stand, couldn't find one and ended up making one. It's for home. It doesn't fold up. I'm wondering if anybody else wants one, in which case I'd buy an electric mitre saw and knock a few out ... just recovering the costs. I like it because it's easy to hang or grab the mando and the strap doesn't get in the way as with stands that the mando sits inside.

... anybody interested ??
  41. Toycona
    Toycona
    That's a nifty stand. If I were you, I'd market them in the classified section. As for me, I installed a wall mount, so I don't need one.

As for thursdays, I'll be back in the circle on 12/10. I work this week on Thursday night. I'm also going to see if they're at all interested in switching to Wednesday 12/23 & 12/30 to avoide the 'eve's".
  42. Marcus CA
    Marcus CA
    Hey, Andy,

I don't know how far you're willing to drive for a jam, but you probably could make the trip to 5th Quarter in a 1/2-hour or so at that time of day. If you take 280 to the Woodside Rd. exit, you'll be about 5 minutes away.
  43. Toycona
    Toycona
    Happy New Year everyone. Keep pickin'!!!!
  44. gratioli
    gratioli
    Ed, would you be interested in having any jam sessions in San Francisco? hope so Grace
  45. mando on the side
    mando on the side
    What kind of jam sessions are you thinking of? I'd love to come if it's on a weekend.
  46. QSmith
    QSmith
    Greetings everyone-- I am a new member to the Cafe. I have been playing the Mandolin for a year or so. B-grass banjo for ages. Picked it up due to band needs, found I really enjoy it. Imagine! I live on the Coast, South of S.F., and am always looking for jam possibilities. Hoping to find something local, but willing to travel. Any knowledge of a jam in Half Moon Bay? I have heard mention of one, but have not been able to track it down. I will keep trying.
    Regards, Quentin
  47. gratioli
    gratioli
    Hi there, I would be very interested in joining and participating in some jam sessions- thanx Grace
  48. QSmith
    QSmith
    I thought this might be of help to some of you. Peter Thompson has a web site with calendars of scheduled dates, workshops, festivals and"jams". Some of this has been discussed,but perhaps this info could help others. Go to <bgsignal@comcast.net and scroll through. Jam info is half way through it.
    Cheers- Q