Week #14 Bill Cheatham

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Since it seems to be a runaway winner, I'm going to announce this week a couple of hours early, so I can get on with my packing!

Bill Cheatham (Cheatam, Cheathum?) which I believe is an old-time tune. I can't readily find ABC or TAB or notation for this tune, but a You-Tube search does come up with several submissions. If anyone can find ABC, TAB or notation, please post it!

I'm going to be gone till August 11, so ya'll behave!
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    There's plenty o' tab in TEF files at Mandozine:

Mandonzine Bill Cheatham search
  3. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    I'll start this one off. This is taken form Adam Steffey's version on Mandozine.

Chris
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wow Chris, some tunes we talk about for almost a whole page, before anyone posts their submission! Here it is before 9 AM on Friday, and we've already got our first! Sounds great!
  5. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Thanks! I actually recorded it yesterday knowing it was gonna be this weeks tune anyway. Can't wait to hear others versions.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris, I did that with Swallowtail Jig! If I knew this tune, I'd do it, but I don't, and I don't have time to learn it AND record it.... I need to be packing!
  7. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    O.K. Well, enjoy your trip. Where are you headed anyway?
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Oh wow! My man and I are headed to Colorado (from Iowa).... my daughter is getting married there in Grand Junction on August 8, and we decided to make a leisurely car trip out there, and last night, I decided we just might do some camping along the way.... so I've got to get all that camping stuff packed.... plus, all the stuff you need to be beautiful (haha) mother of the bride!
  9. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Well congrats to your daughter! And Enjoy your camping trip. Come one people, lets see some other submissions!
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Give us a chance Chris, we're not all as speedy as you. Nice job, by the way. Currently I am playing this tune along with a metronome at 80 bpm, so there is a ways to go.
  11. billkilpatrick
    ".... plus, all the stuff you need to be a beautiful (haha) mother of the bride!"

guess you'll be traveling light, then - tante auguri to you and your expanding family.

here's a v-e-r-y-s-l-o-w version from japan that seems to change its character altogether - i'll be using it to learn the song - don't know how many BPM i'll eventually play it at:

12. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Bill Cheatham, Probably named after William Cheatham (whose father Richard was a Revolutionary war general and Cheatham Co., TN is named after him) Here is his biography:

WILLIAM A. CHEATHAM
    1820-1900

Antebellum medical reformer William A. Cheatham was born in Springfield in 1820, the second son of Robertson County's General Richard Cheatham (1799-1845) and Susan Saunders (1801-1864). He received his medical degree in March 1843 from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School. In 1847 he married Mary Emma Ready of Murfreesboro. They had two children, Martha Strong and Richard B.

Cheatham was practicing medicine in Nashville when the legislature appointed him superintendent and physician of the newly constructed Tennessee Lunatic Asylum on March 1, 1852. The hospital was constructed in response to the reform movement which swept Tennessee in the 1830s, in particular to the crusade of reformer Dorothea A. Dix, who stated in 1858 that few institutions anywhere were superior to it. The program, which incorporated the most advanced theories of moral treatment, was praised not only by Dix on her frequent visits there, but also by Dr. W. K. Bowling, editor of the Nashville Journal of Medicine and Surgery. Sterling Cockrill and other trustees, upon unanimously electing Cheatham to a second eight-year term in 1859, gave him much of the credit for the hospital's reputation as one of the best in the nation.

The Civil War and the Union occupation of Middle Tennessee disrupted the work of the institution and its administrator; on July 25, 1862, Andrew Johnson, military governor of Tennessee, informed Cheatham of his dismissal as superintendent. Subsequently, he and Mrs. Cheatham were arrested and ordered to be confined to federal prison in Alton, Illinois. As they journeyed north, however, the order was rescinded due to Mrs. Cheatham's failing health. She died in Nashville on April 27, 1864.

In 1867 Cheatham remarried, choosing as a wife the wealthy Adelicia Acklen, mistress of Belmont. He also established a private practice in Nashville, which he continued almost up to the time of his death in 1900.

The ABC's from Fiddler's Companion:

X:1
    T:Bill Cheatum [1]
    L:1/8
    M:C|
    S:Jay Ungar
    Z:Transcribed by Andrew Kuntz
    K:A
    [A,2E2] [E2A2] [E4c4]|cBAc BAFE|DFAc d2 de|fgaf ecBc|[A,2E2] [E2A2] [E3c3]B|
    cBAc BAcA|dcde fgaf|1 ecBc A4:|2ecBc A3||
    |:af|ecea fdfa|gefg a2 af|ecea fdfa|ecAc B2 af|ecea fdfa|gefg a2 (3efg|agae faed|
    cABc A3:|
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Talk about displacement behavior! Since Bill posted that very slow version (very cool slow version, I might say) that he found to use to learn from, I took the notation from the ABC, and played through it once or twice, and figured, heck, I can't let a week go by without submitting! So, I videoed it in between trips packing the minivan... it's pretty slow... and some mistakes, but at least I've submitted something!

14. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Wait a minute, Chris - did you embed a Vimeo video? I didn't think that was possible? Nice playing, as usual, BTW. This sounds familiar, but I can't think of where I might have heard it.
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    CD, Scott just recently announced the ability to embed Vimeo and MySpace videos.
  16. Eddie Sheehy
    Thank's for the background info Mike. I really appreciate knowing where a tune is coming from and what it's about. I try to put that feeling into it when I play it... sometimes without success, but I try.

Very nice rendition Barb. It's obvious that music is an integral part of your life when you can fit it in to any gaps that present themselves. I wish you a very happy time as you sojourn to your daughter's wedding. I wish you, and your extended family, blessings and good times. I sprained my right wrist badly yesterday so I won't be contributing for a while - although I have heard of a liquor and steroid combo that might get me back on track...
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, thanks! Hope you have a speedy recovery.... whatever it takes!
  18. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Barb,
    Great job! Best wishes for your trip and the wedding.

Here's my try....

Joe
  19. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Nice one Joe!
  20. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Chris,

I really liked yours...extraordinarily smooth. I just post to provide comfort to other "late starters" like myself. So here's the last version of this one for me....

Joe
  21. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Man, I love it when you have two of you playing at the same time! Sounds great!
  22. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    Very nice, Dave. Out of curiosity, what is the scale length?

Joe
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Man, I don't know how you find the time to play so well when you must have a full time job just changing the strings on all those instruments I've never seen one of those before, thanks for the great demo. That's a really cool thing.
  24. Eddie Sheehy
    Great job guys... still working on it...
  25. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Love it Dave. Very pretty instrument. Sounds great too!
  26. Newtdude
    Newtdude
    Nice pinky work Dave!
  27. sbarnes
    sbarnes
    here's mine....as usual, no video, just audio....multi-track...i play all parts....
    www.grits.addr.com/billcheatam.mp3
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's mine. I messed up right at the end a bit, but I'd gone too far to turn back by then. Oh well, I'll save the finished version for the CD

29. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Awesome OS!
  30. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Y'all are doin' find work at the institute for the maniacally mando-insane!
  31. billkilpatrick
    you know ... people here in tuscany are not as backward as you might suppose - we've heard of channeling and how amazing accomplishments are made through contact with those gone on before. all i want to know is who do i contact in mandolin valhalla and how do i get there?
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    Mando players don't go to Valhalla... try the harp...
  33. Joe-TN
    Joe-TN
    OS,

That's really great, and a great learning tool for me -- not that I'm likely to get there anytime in this life. Thank you very much.

Joe
  34. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice submissions so far. I don't seem to play this tune more than once through without silly mistakes, especially when recording.. I removed some oopsies so here's one of the dozen attempts:

I'm trying to upload with Vimeo but every time I try to embed it here, I get an error message saying that the video is unavailable or can't load. I'd prefer to use Vimeo for this stuff... and keep my You Tube account for the good videos... but it seems impossible. Any ideas? Chris doesn't seem to have any problems with Vimeo.
  35. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Susi, Here's how you embed Vimeo videos. Get the the vid you want to embed, copy the set of numbers in the URL for that video. (Example: http://vimeo.com/5856928) 5856928 would be the numbers you would copy. Then, when posting on the cafe, hit "go advanced" and in hit the Vimeo icon on the right of the tool bar. Paste the numbers you copied earlier in that space. Only the numbers, not the entire URL. That should do it! Hope this helps! Great job on Bill Cheatam by the way!

Chris
  36. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks so much for your help, Chris!! And thanks for your compliment too This video is actually good enough to stay on the tube... I was quite satisfied with the little remaining clip after I removed all the oopsies. Short and sweet
  37. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice Susi, your mandolin sounds great, you're getting a really good tone there.
  38. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks, OT. Here I'm using yet another pick If now that has anything to do with it..
  39. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Summer is such a tough time for me to do videos! I had a chance to do a quick one today. This has long been one of my favorite tunes to play on guitar - it's a vastly simplified version of David Grier's solo arrangement. Enjoy!

40. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's quite a big mandolin you've got there . But I'll let you off because you played it so brilliantly.
  41. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Bill Cheatem on my '30s Gibson A-50 mando using a Weggen M150 pick and used D'addario strings...I forget who used them, Grisman or Skaggs...gotta love those 'used' strings!

Nice job, y'all! You're still tough acts to follow.
  42. Susanne
    Susanne
    A very nice version indeed, close to the one I was supposed to play (). Well played!
  43. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Well I tried the "one take" approach and of course was tight as a drum. Hey, its a marker aint it?
  44. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hey you made it! And it is good!
  45. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Thanks Susi, I made it. Of course I was curious and tried a second take which went fine until a train wreck in the home stretch. Now THERE is a mixed metaphor for you. For some reason yesterday I was using this Clayton triangle pick and I usually use the rounded edge of a Dunlop. I shall see if the rounded pick might have helped.
  46. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Now I start to find other youtube videos of Bill Cheatham...This one's a very nice version at a nice easy to follow tempo. Don't know but KTBriggs had posted this on YouTube...not sure it's him in the vid or not but the avatar looks like someone from the Cafe...could be dreaming.

47. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Darn good first take, Sore Ears!

Thinkin' of your sayin' about 'hand's as tight as a drum,' is too right...or left...or both, sometimes!

The guy in the vid below has got some small wrist movement in that pickin' hand and his left hand fingers are so close to the neck...that's really the only way that speed can be achieved! Aaah, to reach that mountaintop!!!

48. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Killer first take Sore Ears! Beefy sounding mando....great tone! That's a different one from what you usually play, yeah?

Thanks for sharing those videos, Joe!
  49. Eddie Sheehy
    Good first-take Sore Ears.
  50. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    You're welcome, Rob.

Here's another vid I just found with Aubrey Haynie (fiddle) and Mitch Simpson and they think the second mando is David Harvey...I don't know either of 'em...the audio level is pretty low but there's some pretty good pickin' goin' on plus a great twin mando turn in it, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast