Week #68 ~ Mississippi Waltz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Mississippi Waltz, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune.

I am not familiar with this tune, and my searching for the abc or notation isn't readily coming up with anything, so I'll ask that whoever suggested this tune, or whoever knows it and can link to notation or ABC, please do!
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Mike Compton plays Mississippi Waltz
  3. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    That's a great version. Mike's playing his Duff H5 mandola there.
  4. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    That is a nice tune. Can't wait to hear what folks do with it!
  5. jamann
    jamann
    Ok, I better start this off since it was my suggestion. I've been working on this tune all week hoping it would win and I don't have it completely down but here it is anyway. This is another great Bill Monroe tune off the Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe CD. I love this tune so it was fun to learn. Hope you enjoy.

The only tablature I'm aware of is from taterbugmando google group. It's not what I used but it's close and it's a good start.
    Here's link: http://groups.google.com/group/tater...ltz.tef?part=2

6. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That was great, John.
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Love it, John. What a pretty tune. I'm looking forward to learning this one. Thanks for a great example to work from.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent job John. This tune really is total Bill Monroe. Whoever said it was good at the end was absolutely right.
  9. jamann
    jamann
    Thanks for the kind words all. Yeah Bill continued to write great tunes all the way to the end and Mississippi Waltz is a fine example of that.
  10. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic John, I'll have to find that CD!!!! I'm not very good at picking things up by ear so I'll search out the dots.......
  11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    The Taterbug site appears to be for members only. On the " Music for the Nation" website is a facsimile of a piano piece by Howard Harris entitled "Mississippi Waltz" consisting of several sections in different keys. I tried the first but it was not Jamann's tune.
    Can anyone supply some more information about the tune and where to get the music for it?
  12. jamann
    jamann
    Maudlin, I would highly recommend joining taterbugmando group. It's a wonderful source of information and music related to Bill Monroe. Mike Compton is very knowledgeable regarding Bill Monroe and is more than happy to share it. Why not take advantage of this. This is the only source of information regarding Mississippi Waltz that I'm aware of.

Tosh, Thanks for the kind words. The CD is "Kenny Baker Play Bill Monroe" by Kenny Baker. Bill Monroe does play on the CD. It's a great all instrumental CD. I recommend it.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's some abc for it, based on Kenny Baker's break, I adapted it from the tef file posted on the taterbug mando site by "Fred". Sorry Fred. Everyone send some love to Fred.

X:1
    T:Mississippi Waltz
    C:Kenny Baker's Break
    L:1/8
    Q:240
    M:3/4
    K:F
    z2 aa zg | f2 zc (3dfd | c2 zd cB | _A4 (3GAG | F2 zD ag | f2 zc (3dfd | c2 zd (3GFG | \
    F4 zG | F4 ag | f2 zc (3dfd | c2 zd cB | _A4 (3GAG | F2 zC DF | A2 zc (3AGF | _A2 _zG (3FGD | \
    F4 zG | F4 zF | [c4_A4] (3AGF | [c4_A4] (3AGF | [c4A4] zd | [c2A2] zG (3FGF | [c4_A4] (3AGF | \
    [c2_A2] _z3[BG] | [BG][d4B4]z | [d4B4] ag | f2 zc (3dfd | c2 zd cB | _A4 (3GAG | \
    F2 zC DF | A2 zc (3AGF | _A2 _zG (3FGD | F4 zG | F6 | \
    K:C
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

Jamann, you're right about that CD "Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe", it's one of my all time favorites.
  14. jamann
    jamann
    If anyone is interested I'd be happy to tab out (by hand) the version I'm playing. Just send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a PDF with tab.
  15. jamann
    jamann
    I've been getting lots of requests for my tab so I decided to make an up close video to help out with trying to learn this tune. There's not much out there so hopefully this will help. This is such a great tune so I hope everyone interested will try to submit their versions.
    Keep it Bluegrass!

jamann

16. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    jamann, that's some mighty fine playing right there. Thanks for the close up version. My memory is good, it's just short--what mandolin are you playing? You're getting some serious tone there.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, sounds great Jamann. Wish I could afford one, whatever it is. Here's my attempt:

18. jamann
    jamann
    Don, Coming from you that means a lot. Thanks! I'm playing my distressed Silverangel and yes it does have some serious tone.
    OS, That was incredible! You made that one your own. That's some serious playing there. You always impress me. Thanks, I really enjoyed that.
  19. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Great pickin' jamann and OS! I hope to put up version in the next couple of days. It's been one of my favorite tunes to play lately!
  20. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    OS, I heard the Kenny Baker version for the first time yesterday.
    I don't know who played the mandolin break there.
    But I know that I like YOUR playing and embellishments better. Outstanding!

John, thanks for the excellent demonstration.

The bar is now so high I can't even see it anymore.
  21. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Jamann & OS, that's absolutely fantastic playing and I love the tremelo, you guys are a joy to watch. Manfred, I don't know about the bar being raised, I couldn't see it in the first place!!!!!
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I just hope that bar's not so high I can't get a drink at it It's a fun tune and not really so hard to play if you know your double-stops well. It also exercises your ability to switch between single notes and tremelo, always an area I need to work on. I'm really looking forward to hearing your versions.

Manfred - Kenny Baker recorded (to my knowledge) two versions of this song, one on "Kenny Baker plays Bill Monroe" which I suspect is the one you heard, and the guy playing mando on that is in fact Bill Monroe, so I'm definitely not worthy of such praise. The other version is on his equally excellent CD "Spider Bit The Baby" where Aubrey Haynie trades some really wonderful mandolin breaks with a great banjo picker.
  23. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice slidey version there, OS. Great playing and I like the up-the-neck variation.
  24. jamann
    jamann
    I just found on taterbugmando google group transcriptions (notation and tablature) for all the tunes on the Kenny Baker CD "Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe" in PDF form. 25 pages of them which includes Mississippi Waltz. Definitely worth checking out.

http://taterbugmando.googlegroups.co...zSgvndaTPyHVdA
  25. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much Don.

Nice find John! That's going straight into my vaults. Do you know who put those transcriptions together?
  26. jamann
    jamann
    OS, No I don't. It just says uploaded by Jim. Jim doesn't sound very Japanese to me so I doubt he transcribed these but what do I know. Maybe this guy. He's from Japan and he's got Monroe down for sure.

27. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Those transcriptions from Tater's group are for Kenny Baker's fiddle playing, not Monroe's mandolin breaks. Still highly instructive. Love the playing and the Gilchrist on that clip.
  28. jamann
    jamann
    Don, I figured as much but still value all the instruction there. There's a lot to keep the mind and fingers busy for a while. Always worth checking out such a find.
  29. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Hey Old Sausage I tried to PM you but it said that your private message box was full. I was just wondering if I could get a copy of your backing track for M. Waltz? Thanks! Now back to our regularly scheduled program!
  30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, I just saw that, I've emptied my inbox now. Anyway, he's the Mississippi Waltz Backing mp3, and this way anyone can have it if they want it.
  31. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Hi all,
    Here's the tune played on my new(used) Collings MT. Nice to be able to contribute once again!

32. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job, Rob. That's a mighty pawful mandolin you got there.
  33. jamann
    jamann
    Rob, Mighty fine pickin' there. I liked everything about that one. Yes indeed, very nice. The new mando sounds great too. I've always been a fan of Collings. Good choice.
  34. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yes, Rob, great sound and playing!
  35. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Thanks a WHOLE bunch guys! Very kind of you! I think the overalls really helped me play this tune! I'd recommend them!
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Rob, maybe that's a fun idea. Start a thread called Tunes in Overalls..... and all submissions (you get to pick the tune) has to be performed in a pair of overalls!
  37. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Yeah, Rob obviously thinks the Overalls have something to do with Mike Compton's and Jim Richter's mandolin prowess.

Good to see that our Lady Boss is still around.
  38. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, it would be right up there with the naked mandolin videos.
  39. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    I guess I can only do 5 lauging faces but I wanted to do 10!

Good to hear from you, Barbara! I think we all miss you 'round here!
  40. Eddie Sheehy
    Where exactly does one acquire said overalls? Would Lederhosen - shown only from the thighs up - suffice? Herr Hacker?
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You are given the overalls when you play your first bluegrass show by the ghost of Bill Monroe.

I think he gets them from Walmart.
  42. Eddie Sheehy
    How long do Mssrs Richter and Compton have to play before they get a shirt?
  43. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That's some really fine playing, Rob. And your new mandolin sounds great--congrats on landing that one.
  44. RobinG
    RobinG
    Here's my pop at it, actually did this just before the song was announced, but that made me join this group, so there!

I notice that everyone, including me, seems to end a tremolo bit with a louder note, and I have to say I don't like this habit in myself: it undermines smoothness in my opinion.
    Best
    Robin
  45. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Welcome to the group, Groucho, uh, i mean RobinG! Tell us about your mandolin! Very nice!
  46. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Overalls..... I'd get them at the local Goodwill or Salvation Army (Thrift stores, for ya'll not in the US!)

I promise I'll get back to videoing, once my life calms down some! I have been trying to keep an eye on ya'll, keep the "Table of Contents" current, and keep the polls going! I've got my granddaughter here with me, and will be back on the road next week, taking her back to Colorado. Then, it'll be Labor Day weekend, and then hopefully, things will calm down!

For those of you in the midwest, don't forget the Annual Iowa Friends of Old-Time Music Fiddler's Picnic on Sunday, September 19, in Iowa City. Tons of fun!
  47. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    Saw this song thread and decided I'd post, as it's my favorite Bill Monroe Waltz. Lot of blues in there for a waltz. One of my favorite times I ever had was sitting around with Roland White picking this tune.

48. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    You guys are killers, fantastic versions all, I need to start working on it, probably take me a year!!! Manfred pointed out this is in the book by Todd Collins, Monroe Instrumentals for those who want the tab and music............
  49. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great stuff from Robin and Jim.
  50. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm learning it slowly and painfully from Jamann's slow version - if thar ain't no pain it ain't BG. David, I tried importing your ABC to ABC Navigator and it turns it to mush... so I'll keep trying by ear (Jimi Hendrix style - or was that teeth?).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast