Week # 64 ~ The Mouth of the Tobique (French Canadian Reel)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Mouth of the Tobique (French Canadian Reel).

I am not familiar with this tune, so if what I come up with is NOT what the person who suggested this tune has in mind, please share!

Here's what I found on www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Mouth Of The Tobique, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Gmaj
    (3DEF|GF GA (3Bcd ed|Bd BA GB AG|
    AB AF DF AF|1 GA Bc d2 (3DEF:|2 GB AF G2 ef||
    gf ga gd Bg|fd Ad f2 gf|ed cB AG FD|1 GA Bc d2 ef:|2 GB AF G2 z (3D/E/F/||
    G [BG] z [c2G2] z [B2G2]| z2 [c2G2] z [B2G2] z| FG AB cA FD|GA Bc d2 (3DEF|
    G [BG] z [c2G2] z [B2G2]| z2 [c2G2] z [B2G2] z| FG AB cA FD|GB AF G2 (3DEF :|

Here is a link to a page with both standard notation & abc.

Here is a link to an old time fiddle tune page, with a link to a midi file.

I know this is a busy time of year! I appreciate all ya'll who are continuing to contribute to our great group!!!
  2. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Mouth Of The Tobique from the Fiddler's Fakebook by David Brody, suitably mullered by me, featuring the JM10-B flatwound ball ended strings from Ted Eschilman at Jazz Mando....lighter than my favoured D'Addario FT74's but good nonetheless. Shameless plug.

3. dave17120
    dave17120
    May I humbly suggest, as a newbie, having just had a look at this one........ that there are a couple of abc writing errors..... this might make more sense, and flow better if you want to use the repeat function. Dave

X: 1
    T: Mouth Of The Tobique, The
    R: reel
    K: Gmaj
    (3DEF|GF GA (3Bcd ed|Bd BA GB AG|
    AB AF DF AF|1 GA Bc d2:|2 GB AF G2 ef||
    gf ga gd Bg|fd Ad f2 gf|ed cB AG FD|1 GA Bc d2 ef:|2 GB AF G2 z (3D/E/F/||
    G [BG] z [c2G2] z [B2G2]| z2 [c2G2] z [B2G2] z| FG AB cA FD|GA Bc d2 (3DEF|
    G [BG] z [c2G2] z [B2G2]| z2 [c2G2] z [B2G2] z| FG AB cA FD|1GB AF G2 (3DEF:|2GB AF G2 |
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes Tosh, that's the spirit - a fun tune worthy to be made fun of

Anyway, here is the version I play at our sessions, fitting pretty well with what the others play, but containing gross simplifications. Especially my C part is much influenced by the famous version of Sharon Shannon - she plays only B and C parts in the second half of that video, taking liberties with the rhythm that have confused sessions wordwide, I guess; in the end, I stuck with what goes rhythmically with the exact single-note version.

5. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Bertram, great stuff, love the way you play it. I was knackered after a hard days work and was just glad it was the weekend (instruments have to be paid for)!!! Had a shower, saw this and thought I can't do this. I looked up a few abc's and found it in the fakebook and tried it, did it. The pinky is working on the cello, hard work! I need bigger hands!!!! But fun....
    Here's the abc I used...
    X: 64
    T: Mouth of the Tobique
    B: Fiddler's Fake Book - David Brody
    O: French Canadian
    R: Reel
    K: G
    (3DEF|:"G"GFGA Bded |BdBG DGBG|"D"AGFE DEAc|"G"BdBG D2 (3DEF|
    "G"GFGA Bded |BdBG DGBG|"D"AGFE DFAc|1"G"B G2 G G2 (3DEF:|2 "G"B G2 G G2 ef ||
    |: "G"gfga gfeg|"D"fdAd fagf|"C"eGFE "D"DFAF|"G"GABc d2 ef|
    gfga gfeg|"D"fdAd fagf|"C"eGFE "D"DFAc|1 "G"B G2 G G2 ef :|2 "G"B G2 G [G2B2] ||
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, Tosh. I can usually count on you to spare me from learning these tunes from the ABC. That sucks a little fun from the process. Good playing and quick posting.

Great playing, Bertram, but I could tell you had this week's grocery list on the brain. Try to concentrate just a bit more, ay. lol (Liked your chording(
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Tosh and Marcelyn.
    It was not the grocery list, however - I am quite happy with my Clayton picks
  8. Tavy
    Tavy
    Those are really nice renditions both Tosh and Bertram!

Unfortunately I then made the mistake of watching Sharron Shannon's version and scared myself half to death

Looks like we all have some work to do on this one!! John.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    made the mistake of watching Sharron Shannon's version and scared myself half to death

It is really an excellent result of elaborate band rehearsal, good for the stage; if they tried to play it like that in a pub session, however, they'd get friendly yet blank stares and nobody could join in. We should not be ashamed as long as we do our best, picking (literally!) ideas out of those performances that work for us.
  10. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Marcelyn, thanks for that, do you play by ear? I couldn't do anything without dots, and although I am understanding where all the notes are on the fretboard now, I still need the dots! ABC is easy really, nothing to it.
    Tavy there is nothing wrong with watching how the pro's do it, just use it as inspiration. We may never play like them but it can inspire you to have a go at the tune no matter how simple we play it! As Bertram says, put it in a session setting and it would be totally different. Even I get baffled at some of the sessions and I think how can they play that so fast? But when the adrenaline and pints are flowing, there is no stopping some people!!!!!
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    Time to liven this place up a bit... Whimsically played on a Beard Bouzouki as an OM - GGDDAAEE.

12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That really was a lively version, Eddie. Sounds great.

I read music, Tosh, but I guess I prefer to learn songs by ear. I find they stick for me better that way. ABCs are helpful too, but I usually just use them when I'm stuck on a note. Of course, someone has to post first, so thanks for blazing the path.
  13. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for taking Sharon Shannon's crazy C part to new horizons of syncopated jigginess Eddie...

Somehow drains the shock and awe from watching her performance, now that we realized it is just a whimsical idea she stole from you.
  14. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Interesting the variations we are getting this one.

Tosh there is a lot more interesting melody in your A and B parts than my version.

Betram, I'll have to learn your way of the C part sounds great

Eddie, you're having way too good a time with the C part or is that the CCC part!

(I'm picking softly today as the rest of the house is asleep)

15. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Someone launched into this at our session here, last Friday night, which reminded me of this thread, so I thought I might as well give my slant on it.

16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Harry, that really made the sweet spots of this tune come out, just like the Tobique was a small murmuring creek - lovely!

Ptarmi, these twin speed versions are really interesting - 1. how it works, 2. in action - should be a great aid for learning by ear.
  17. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Harry, your version is just fine and don't worry about playing quietly. Some pieces require light and shade and it's good practice to play quietly sometimes.....and that's a fine looking instrument, is it a Weber?

Dick, Nice versions and I agree with Bertram it's nice to have the speed comparisons. That Sobell is getting some hammer, have you worn it out yet????
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful stuff from all this week. Here's my version:

19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David & David--very nice playing. OS, I always enjoy your versions of these tunes.
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    David H. like it or not, you did some syncopation on that C part

OS that's one light swinging groove there - leaving Sharon Shannon standing!
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much Don and Bertram! I hope we get some more versions of this, I think it's a great little tune.
  22. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice playing, everyone!!!! I've never heard this tune before, and it seems to complicated for me right now!! I've been quite energy-less lately and been quite unwell, so haven't been up to start playing around with new stuff (only some things on my little accordion) but I'll be back in a few weeks, I'm going to Italy next week and will be there for 2 weeks.
  23. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    OS, you are always a hard act to follow. And great work Tosh, Bertram, Eddie, Ptarmi, and David.
    Here is my simple version from the Fiddler's Fakebook:

24. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Everyone's a hard act to follow Manfred, that's why I get in early!!!!!!!! Beautifully played, you did a fantastic job with the Brody version.
  25. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Manfred, nice version. haven't seen you in a while, were you off camping again? hope your weather has gotten better!
  26. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Someone has to play it by the book, Manfred, otherwise nobody would ever know what the real tune is. I hereby declare yours to be the central reference version the rest of us are just in orbit about...
  27. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice playing Manfred.
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent work Manfred, you have great accuracy and tone.
  29. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks all for your kind and encouraging remarks. Although with Bertram's tongue-in-cheek comments .... you never know.

No Michael, I have not been camping again. I have a full-time job (although I may look well beyond retirement age ) and cannot always practice as much as I would like to. I am still working on the Diving Duck Blues and hope to post it sometime soon.
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I have a full-time job although I may look well beyond retirement age

I know exactly how that feels... and will continue to for a while. My role model is a colleague of about 70 who went to be a pensioner but found out he is allergic to the sound of vacuum cleaners and came back.

My comment was perfectly honest, btw.
  31. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Hey Manfred,

This one calls for an even and quick tempo and for me you got it nailed, good one!
  32. Toycona
    Toycona
    As you can see, I had a little time on my hands this evening.
  33. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Tom, another map through the official melody version with every detail. So that's how it goes, something to build on.
  34. Toycona
    Toycona
    I really prefer your version, Bertram, but I have to start over learning it to get it right. Let's see what heppens this week.
  35. Eddie Sheehy
    This appears in the latest poll...
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie... and again in the next week's poll! Sorry about that! I'm super busy this summer, right now, having to use the neighbor's internet, and with my 4 year old granddaughter! I'll make sure not to include it next week!
  37. Eddie Sheehy
    In no way meant to be critical of you Barb, just letting the newer folks know so...
  38. Francis J
    Francis J
    Well I'm just two years late, but I had to have a go at this one. I seem to have added empty credits at the end, in a spectacular display of my video editing (non)skills, so apologies for that!

39. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I waited for that vacuum cleaner to appear in the arrangement, but in vain.
    I also waited for a mention of the special FX director and the second film team in the cast...

Grand rendition Francis, as usual. I especially liked the tourbillonized syncopation in the C part.
  40. Francis J
    Francis J
    Tourbillonisation was provided by the Hoover of course! I'm amazed you did'nt spot that Bertram !
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job, Francis. I love the attitude in the backup strumming.