Week #27 Paddy on the Turnpike

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This was a close one this week, but the winner is Paddy on the Turnpike. It was submitted as a Bluegrass tune, but I'm wondering if it couldn't also be Old Time.....

From www.thesession.org

X: 1
    T: Paddy On The Turnpike
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Ador
    AG |: EAAB A2AB | cAdB cBAG | EGGF G2GA | BGAF GFED |
    EAAB A2AB | cBAB cdef | gage dBGB |1 cABG A2AG :|2 cABG A2cd |:
    eaab a2af | bfaf gfed | efga g2gf | bfaf gfed | eaab a2af | bfaf gfef |
    gage dBGB |1 cABG A2cd :|2 cABG A2z2||

From the fiddler's companion

PADDY ON THE TURNPIKE [1]. {primarily mixolydian versions}. AKA and see "Bunch of Keys [1],” "Flowers of Limerick [1],” “Half Past Four,” “Indian Nation [1],” "Jenny On the Railroad," "The Mills Are Grinding," "Old Town Reel," "Paddy on the Handcar," "Paddy on the Handlecar," "Telephone Reel." American, Old‑Time, Bluegrass; Reel or Breakdown. USA; Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, North Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Nebraska. G Major or G Mixolydian: A Major or A Mixolydian (Silverberg, Thede) {see Wilson Douglas's recording}: B Flat Major (Howe). Standard tuning or AEae (Wilson Douglas, Edden Hammons). AABB (most versions): AA'BB (Phillips, 1994). Key of ‘A’ versions are more common than key of ‘G’ versions. Bayard (1981) identifies this rather common tune as a descendant of a once well‑known Scottish song air known usually as "The Waukin o the Fauld." Stylistic considerations, maintains Bayard—namely the modal character (with sets appearing in more than one mode), wide diffusion, and often renamed—indicate the tune has some "respectable" age—although Bayard points out it has not been traced before the early 18th century. Wilson Douglas, a fiddler from Clay County, W.Va., points out there are two versions in ‘old time’ repertory, with "the West Virginia one ...different from the one they play in Kentucky and North Carolina. The one I play is the West Virginia 'Paddy on the Turnpike.' Its got a hornpipe time, if you notice, and a drone. Its played by all the old mountain fiddlers; even (eastern Ky. fiddling master) Ed Hayley played the West Virginia 'Paddy on the Pike' [Ed.—recorded by Hayley as “Half Past Four”]. It was first played by the (West Virginia fiddling families) Carpenters and the Hammonses." Rush, Ky., fiddler J.P Fraley notes that two portions of this melody are similar to the fiddle tunes "Pidgeon on the Gate" and "Bluebird(y) on the Snowbank." The title appears in a list of traditional Ozark Mountain fiddle tunes compiled by musicologist/folklorist Vance Randolph, published in 1954.

Missouri fiddler Bob Holt mentions the tune in the following. His love of traditional music derived from his family, and he told Bittersweet magazine in 1981:

My dad and my Grandad both loved fiddle music though they neither
    one could play. My Granddad kept a fiddle in his house. He lived
    down the road here from where I now live, and this used to be the
    main road from Ava down to the southwestern part of the county.
    There were a lot of travelers on it, and a lot of times they’d stop and
    stay all night. If they could fiddle, Dad said they never got any sleep
    ‘cause Granddad would make them play all night. He always wanted
    ‘Paddy on the Turnpike’.

X:1
    T:Bunch of Keys, The
    T:Flowers of Limerick, The
    S:Sean Ryan, fiddle (Chris Delaney collection)
    Z:Transcribed by Paul de Grae
    R:reel
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:GMix
    DG{A}G^F G3 A|BGdG eGdG|DCDE F2 ~FG|AF (3FFF dFcF|
    AGG^F ~G3 A|B2 GA Bc d2|(3^fga ge fdcA|BGA^F DGGF||
    DGG^F G3 A|BG (3GGG cGBG|DCDE F3 G|AF ~F2 CFA,F|
    DGG^F ~G3 A|B2 GA Bc d2|(3^fga ge fdcA|BGA^F DGGB||
    dgg^f g2 dg|bg ~g2 bga^f|d^cde f2 ~fg|af ~f2 cfaf|
    dgg^f ~g3 a|bga^f gf d2|(3^fga ge fdcA|BGA^F DGGB||
    dgg^f g2 dg|bg ~g2 bga^f|d^cde f2 ~fg|af ~f2 cfaf|
    dg ~g2 dg ~g2|bga^f gf d2|(3^fga ge fdcA|BGA^F DGGA||
    BG ~G2 BGdG|BG ~G2 (3Bcd gd|AF ~F2 AFcF|AF ~F2 ABcd|
    BG ~G2 DG ~G2|BAGA Bc d2|(3^fga ge fdcA|BGA^F DGGA||
    BG ~G2 DCB,D|BG ~G2 (3Bcd gd|AF ~F2 CFA,F|AF ~F2 ABcd|
    BG ~G2 DG ~G2|BAGA Bc d2|(3^fga ge fdcA|BGA^F G4||

X:2
    T:The Bunch of Keys
    M:4/4
    L:1/8R:Reel
    S:Brian Conway
    Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion
    K:G
    DG({A}G)F ~G3A|B(Gd)(G e)GdG|D=F({G}FE ~F3G|A=FcF dFcF|
    DG({A}G)F ~G3A|({c}B)AGA Bcde|~=f3(d c2) A/B/c|1 B(GA)(FDG) G2:|2
    B(GA)(F DG)Gd||:Bg({a}g)f ~g3a|b~g3 bga=f|d=f({g}e) f2 ef|d~=f3 dfcf|
    dg({a}f ~g3a|bgag =fdde|=fa (3gfe f(dc)A|1G(BA)(F DG)Gd:|2
    G(BA)(F DG)GA||:BG (3GGG BGcG|BG (3GGG Bdgd|A~=F3 CFA,F|
    AF (3FFF ABcd|B~G3 D(~G3|B)GGA Bcde|=f3(d c2) A/B/c|B(GA)(F DG)G2:|
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    continuned from fiddler's companion

PADDY ON THE TURNPIKE [2]. {primarily dorian versions}. AKA and see "The Broomstick," “The Bunch of Keys [1],” "Down the Hill," "Ducks on/in th e Pond," "The Ewe Wi' the Crooked Horn" (floater), "The Flowers of Limerick [1]," "Jinny in the Lowlands" (Pa. floater), "League and Slasher," “Marie a Pierre,” "The Mills Are Grinding [1]," "Molly Maguire [1]," “The Old Reel,” "Patty on the Turnpike," "Pigeon on the Pies," "Rainy Day [1]," "Salt River [2]," "The Telephone Reel," "The Yellow Heifer [2]" (Pa.). Irish, Scottish, Canadian, Old‑Time; Reel. USA; southwestern Pa. Canada, Prince Edward Island. G Major/Mixolydian (Perlman): G Mixolydian/Dorian (Begin, Perlman): G Minor/Dorian (Brody, Cole, Miller & Perron): A Dorian (Bayard, 31A): A Minor (Kennedy & Raven). Standard tuning. AABB (most versions): AA’BB’ (Perlman). This is a common tune in Scottish and Irish tradition, but 'Paddy On the Turnpike' is its usual title and dorian the usual mode in western Pennsylvania, reports Bayard (1944, 1981). “Paddy on the Turnpike” is found in the United States in Richmond County, Ohio, musician Ruben Fisher's notebook from 1842 as an A minor/modal setting of the tune also known as “Paddy on the Handcar.” Ken Perlman (1996) remarks that it was one of the most widely known "good old tunes" on Prince Edward Island, and that a more modern version which changed the tonality from dorian/minor to mixolydian/major emerged on the island in the 1920's.

X:1
    T:Paddy on the Turnpike
    M:C|
    L:1/8
    R:Reel
    K:G Dorian
    |: DG G^F G2GA | BG dG eG dG | DF FE F2FG | AF cF dF cF|
    DG G^F G2GA | BA GA Bc de | fe fd cA FA | BG AF G4 :|
    |: dg g^f g2 ga | ba ga bg af | df fg f2 fg | ag fg af gf | dg g^f g2 ga |
    ba gf dc de | fe fd cA FA | BG AF G4 :|

And from www.mandozine.com, the search for Paddy on the Turnpike
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Well being a Limerick man I'll be attempting the Flowers of Limerick...
  4. Susanne
    Susanne
    I like the non-Monroe-ish version of the tune!! Way cool! The first one seems to be what I can handle right now. For some reason I'm absolutely out of the bluegrass mood right now. And can you imagine, some month ago I got into the Irish music mood and never got out of it. That's why I've been playing the concertina more than the mandolin lately. But I'll try some on the mandolin too.
  5. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I'll get things started with the Monroe version. There's 3 speeds in the video so if anyone wants to learn the Monroe version, that's available. Monroe really burned this one on the Smithsonian Live CD he did with Doc Watson. As with all Monroe versions, there's some sneaky things on this one, especially that run at the end of the B part. I learned this one a long time ago and this particular version is based on Monroe's studio recording of the tune.

Listening to the abc's of the other versions, it's interesting to see how Monroe changed the tune to fit into his style of playing.

6. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    How do you know which one or if one is a Monroe version?
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Monroe played this more like a breakdown, out of chop chord shapes using characteristic rhythms and note patterns. If you listen to a lot of Monroe playing fiddle tunes it becomes quite easily recognizable. The Smithsonian Folkways CD with Monroe and Watson taped at various gigs that Don mentions is a great place to start, and Don's video of course gives a really clear demonstration of the Monroe style.
  8. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    I thought maybe there was something in the standard notation that indicated a Monroe style/version. If it's just a feel thing that you know when you hear, it will be harder to identify for someone who's not completely versed in Monroe doctrine.
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    Dave, I think it's a good thing to not know the doctrine. Play the tune and have fun with it and don't care if you play it Monroe-ish or Irish style or whatever. I tend to get a bit of fearful to everything that is Monroe-related, because then I think that oh, it is so difficult. I should try to get out of the doctrines and just play away! I guess that's what I'm unconsciously doing by more or less leaving the bluegrass settings. I just play what pleases me, before I rigidly tried to learn to play bluegrass and just got down by all my failures.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I've never played bluegrass. My preference for tune genre is OT, IT, fiddle tunes, (tunes you find in books like Fiddler's Fakebook & O'Neill's Music of Ireland, etc). I'm not a follower of Monroe, like so many here are. So, I usually end up playing a bluegrass tune, and making it sound like an OT or IT tune....

But, those that are accomplished bluegrass players, seem to have almost as hard a time, getting the feel of the IT genre.... (do BG players ever play jigs, slipjigs & slides?)... Many of their submissions of an Irish tune, come out sounding like BG.... and that's OK! So, I'm hoping it's OK for me (and others) to play a Monroe-style reel, and have it come out like an Irish Hornpipe! I agree with Susi.... we're here to have fun~
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Dukaine,

If you look in the first couple of posts by Barbara, those abc files have the old time/ITM tune. There's also a link to the mandozine TEF files. There's a transcription (might be close to what I'm playing) of Monroe's version.

To oversimplify Monroe's style: he plays the essence of the tune and changes the tune to fit into his style of mandolin playing which includes setting the right hand in motion and keeping it going, playing out of chord positions, use of arpeggios, use of blues notes (flatted 3rds), use of downstrokes and tremolo, and implying more notes than he actually plays by his slides. If you compare what I played in my video to the melody in the abc's above, you'll hear what Monroe did to bring this tune into bluegrass.

While I play the Monroe style, I hope I don't come across as a Monroe snob. The power/emotion of Monroe's playing grabbed me when I first started playing and that's why I play it. But I love a good melody and enjoy playing pretty too. I don't get to participate as much as I'd like in this group, but I've learned a lot of new tunes and new styles of tunes from all y'all. Thanks.
  12. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    OS, Susi, Barb and Don,

Thanks.
    Don I like the quote, "implying more notes than he actually plays by his slides." That's a place I'd like to get to one day.
    So its the fun doctrine that we're sticking with - I think I can do that.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's mine, I didn't get all Bill Monroe for this, it's just plain old sausage-style.

14. Newtdude
    Newtdude
    Wow, that was outstanding! Whew.
  15. jamann
    jamann
    Here's my attempt at Paddy On The Turnpike. I'm sitting in a Hamilton, Ont. hotel room with a little free time before it's off to work I go. Sorry for the poor quality video and sound. Using my netbooks built in camera and mic. This is a very cool tune I learned a few years back and forgot about it. Good memories, great tune! I enjoyed this one.

16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Newtdude! Nice slides, Jamann, even through the netbook mic I can tell your mando sounds great.
  17. jamann
    jamann
    Very nice as always old sausage. First rate all the way! I really enjoyed your take on it. Thanks for sharing.
  18. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OS, you always come up with great versions of the tunes. I can hear some Monroe in there, too. Jamann, I like those slides too. You've got that cool arpeggio kind of run at the end of the B part that's so fun to play.
  19. jamann
    jamann
    Don, thanks for the kind words. Someday I hope to capture that Monroe feel that you seem to have perfected. My hats off to you! I'm always impressed with your videos. Gives me something to strive for.
  20. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Sorry I'm so late on this one. Had a really busy weekend! I decided, for diversity's sake, to go ahead and do the Gm version of this tune. Hope you like it!

21. Eddie Sheehy
    Great job Chris. Very Celtic...
  22. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    Paddy and I need to part ways. I struggled with this one, even changed the B part just to get through it. Not a Monroe version, more like an IT or OT version.
    Hope you like it.
  23. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice! And your mandolin is so gorgeous... I can't stop looking at it. It's a real beauty.
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Finally back home in Iowa.... playing catch up here on the cafe!

Here's my Paddy on the Turnpike, played on my Collings MT2O.

25. Susanne
    Susanne
    Very nice version Barbara!! It sounds so old!!!
  26. Dukaine
    Dukaine
    Sweet sounds Barb. Love the tremelos (sp?).
  27. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Thought I'd add my version to this tune. We play it in our weekly BG jam. It's a goodun!

Jim
  28. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Jim. You've been busy today. And, on multiple instruments. Good job.
    I'll be in Breedlove country on Friday. I'll try to just dri ve by.
    Gary