Week # 16 ~ I Am A Pilgrim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm announcing this a little early, it's a tie, so I'll decide it's "I Am A Pilgrim" which can be bluegrass, blues or jazz! I know nothing about this tune, so if anyone can link to notation, TAB, or the tune itself, that would be great!
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's some tab from Mandozine, I could only find one:
    http://www.mandozine.com/music/table...Stangeland.tef

Also, listen to the old Kentucky Colonels recording of this from "Appalachian Swing" (Also on the "Kentucky Colonels" album). Do not miss hearing Merle Travis doing this song. Also, Grisman and Rice do a not too poor rendition on their "Tone Poems" album.
  3. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I couldn't find any other tabs, but here is a video from 1973 of Clarence and Roland White playing "I am a Pilgrim" and "New Soldier's Joy". This is basically the same as their version on Appalachian Swing that OldSausage referred to. For those you not into Bluegrass, Clarence White was a phenomenal and tremendously influential flatpicker who was tragically killed by a drunk driver in 1973.

4. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Tom, thanks for posting the video --it's hard to top Clarence and Roland playing this tune--they put so much soul and feeling into it. And Roland's the master of the doublestop--there's always something surprising about what he comes up with.
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, I certainly won't top Clarence and Roland, but here it is anyway. For "first take" fans, this is my first take. I did all the backing too, in more than one take.

6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, that was awesome.... what all other instruments are you playing for the backup?
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Barbara - there's an electric bass, acoustic guitar, 5-string banjo and rhythm mandolin - a full bluegrass band
  8. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OS, great playing as always with wonderful improvisation. You're always an inspiration.
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Don. The encouragement I've found here has helped me a lot.
  10. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    And OldSausage set's the bar high once again being the first poster....on the first take nonetheless!!

How long did it take you to record all the backup tracks, BTW?

Envious, man. Envious!
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Rob. It took about an hour to set up the backing track. Here's the backing track as an mp3 for those interested.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Old Sausage, that was the business! Well done sir!
  13. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    It rained today, so this is what I did. I need to remember to used the click track if I multitrack. Backup vocals by the Singing Shriners.

14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent in every way!
  15. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Man....that rain really made you productive today, Mike! This is my favorite video of yours yet and may be one of the best productions I've seen here at the SAW! AWESOME!!!!

I need some rain here in Humboldt!
  16. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Anyone got any better tabs than what's on mandozine? It's a good transcription, but it doesn't seem to be the whole song. Am I wrong? Thanks for any help!

Chris
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike.... WOW! That was awesome! Between you and OS.... I'm figuring most of the rest of us are gonna say "No way can I compare with those two!"
  18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Mike, that was truly wonderful, best I've seen yet.
  19. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Thanks, y'all. I just wish everything wasn't playing to a slightly different beat. If you're going to multitrack, I really advise using a click track. I don't have a clue as how to play this as a straight mandolin tune, Chris. Hence the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Very Cool Mike!
  21. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Loved it, Mike. Travis style guitar too! Tasty mando break.
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Chris I took a look at the tab on Mandozine, and it seems to be one full run through of the tune, so it's like a typical break you would play if someone was singing the song, same length as the break on Mike's video.
  23. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Thanks OS. I may just end up posting just the break and not the entire song. Appreciate your help OS!
  24. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    And here it is...

25. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I like that a lot Chris, you got a good groove going there with no backing tracks to help you - very cool.
  26. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Thanks OS! I Love your version! I wanna see some other too! Come on people!
  27. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here was my best take for this, but my brother just had to come in and ask me to help him with his math homework.

And here is my singing and playing. I don't know the song very well so there are a few tempo mistakes in there.

28. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Nice singing, Kyle! Sounds like you're plugging away nicely on the break too....ohh those pesky brothers I tell, ya'!
  29. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Nice kyle! I'm not brave enough to sing on camera yet. Maybe sometime around week 100 on here. You know how it is... I'm 17 and my voice just ain't right!
  30. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Thanks Rob and Chris. Haha yeah I know Chris, my voice still does that at 19. I sing tenor in a quartet and in Choir. I want to sing higher, like bluegrass high, but my voice wont let me!
  31. Eddie Sheehy
    I wish I could sing like Mike Romkey... that was a real treat...
  32. Eddie Sheehy
    Now I'm learning it on the guitar in E and on the mandolin in G... So I'll be putting a capo on the 3rd fret on the guitar and hoping for the best... I have no fancy equipment so it'll be a challenge to get 'em to match up. I thank Dave and Mike for showing the way. I think this particular song is very appropriate at this point in time with the recent passing of Mike Seeger, Go nDeana Dia Trocaire ar a hAnam... R.I.P.
  33. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice posts, folks! Good singing, Kyle. This is a great song to sing. Playing mandolin on it (beyond the chords) is, I think, not so easy!

Eddie, I learned this off an old Doc Watson record back in the day, hence me leaning on the guitar to get through this. I "think" Doc did it in E, but it might just have been that I used to like to play guitar and sing in E. Not for any good reason, just because I did.
  34. Eddie Sheehy
    Well I'm no Mike Romkey, but here goes anyways... Gonna take a lot longer than a week for me to get this any way smooth...

35. jamann
    jamann
    Here's my attempt at a couple different solos on "I Am A Pilgrim". Hope you enjoy! I struggled a bit with this one.

36. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Love that cross-picked version - awesome!
  37. jamann
    jamann
    Thanks OS! I must say your video is probably my favorite so far of all the SAW videos submitted. You play so smooth and make it look so easy. Then on top of that you're playing all the backing. I wish had your talent. I always look forward to seeing your videos and your take on the tune.
  38. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    OS, I've got to know, just because I'm curious and I've got questions...Are you doing music exclusively? Do you have a day gig? Are you married and have a family? I can only imagine that your vids take an enormous amount of time to put out what you're putting out let alone learn a new tune. I'm not trying to slam or flame you as I, too, admire your work but I also know that one has to put an enormous amount of time and effort into producing what you produce. You're definitely skilled not only your instruments, and the music but also on the digital recording/engineering technology, too. Either that or you're really fast at it or you have a whole studio crew at your disposal!

You're welcome to choose not to answer my questions if you feel I'm being to nosy.

I won't think less of you if you do.
  39. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Joe, I'm happy to answer - in fact I have a very demanding day job as a programmer and web designer, plus I'm also in about 4 different bands that mostly just play for fun. I work from home, though, which means I can take odd moments in the day to work on this stuff. I usually set aside an evening or a couple of hours at the weekend to do the SAW things. I am quite quick at putting the multitrack things together, I've had a little professional experience, but mostly I just keep it simple. My wife is very understanding.
  40. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Thanks for the reply, David.

What equipment you use in your studio setup. Also, how long have you been at the digital recording end of things?

No doubt, working from home is most advantageous. No younguns running around helps, too.

I saw a posting in the Cafe Classifieds for a mando player wanted in the GA AL area. Time to add a 5th band to your list?
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I use a small Alesis Multimix Firewire mixing desk hooked up directly to my computer, and I usually record through a single AKG Perception large diaphragm condenser mic. I use Sonar software (formerly known as Cakewalk), I like it. So everything is just sitting on my desk ready to go whenever I have the time. Digital recordings have been part of the way I practice for about 6 years, and I've been involved in digital recording for about 15 years. Oh, I also run the live sound for some of my bands. I saw the ad, that guy is just too far away, otherwise I'd give him a call
  42. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Thanks, David. I kinda figured you've been at the recording for longer than a week or two. Had a friend who used Cakewalk and really liked it. He was a keyboard player, performer, and sequence artist. No longer in this realm of existence but he sure worked hard at his art. Did some really good work and was a cousin to Danny Gatton.

So how big a harddrive, or externals, or does your PC have? Perhaps you're continually upgrading to larger memory?
  43. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    The computer I do the recording on is kind of old, I just have an external 250 GB USB 2.0 drive that I write the data to as I record, which seems to work fine. Windows XP, 1GB RAM, nothing fancy. I throw out old audio files once I've mastered things to MP3, and occasionally remember to defrag the drive.
  44. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Sounds like it works well.
  45. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It's very easy to set up as long you're reasonably handy with computers. It doesn't need any special skills or equipment beyond the sound input mixer. The mixer I use is way more than you need when you're working alone. Anyone could get started for about 150 bucks or less and do just as well, especially once YouTube has finished with it. If you can already make a video and edit it in Windows Movie Maker (or similar app), the principle is much the same in Sonar or any audio editing program.
  46. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    What sound mixers and mic(s) do you recommend that fall in that $150 range?
  47. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    If you only have one input to worry about the M-Audio one is fine for $70, I've used that. If you think you might want to record from more than one mic at once then this little Peavey mixer will do the job for $100.
  48. SteveJ
    SteveJ
    Hi, I've been playing mandolin for a year and a half and part of my working on my improvising skills is transcribing bits of tunes here and there. Here is my shot at a transcription of the first part OS's "I am a Pilgrim".

X: 1
    T:I Am a Pilgrim
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:Amaj
    E2 EF A2 |{_B}"E"[=B4 e4] [B4 e4]-|[B2e2] {=c}^ce cBAF |"A"A(=F ^F)A B2 =cB|A2 {B}cecBA2|
    "D7"B4 A4-|A2 {B}cefz =gf|"A"{B}ce=cB AFA2-|A2 E2 EF A2|
    {=c}[e8^c8]-|[e2c2] ([e2e2] [e2e2][e2e2]|"D7"[e2e2]) [e4d4] A2 |=cBAF EFA=c-|
    "A"^cefz =gfe=c-|"E"^ce=cB AFEF|"A"A=cAc BAFE |A8|
  49. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's great Steve, I checked it out and it looks just about perfect. It's not always easy to see the exact fingering and some of the effects like slides and hammers on .abc, so I filled them in and made a TablEdit file - I hope it's helpful. I hope you don't mind if I post the tab on my blog (mandoliniana.blogspot.com) too.
  50. SteveJ
    SteveJ
    Awesome,
    Thanks for giving me feedback and filling in the rough spots. That's my first one for mandolin (I'm a trumpet player) and hearing the double stops is hard right now. Also the pull offs in the last measure kind of threw me, but sounds great the way you wrote them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast