Week #10 ~ Liberty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Looks like Liberty is winning, so I'm going to go ahead and post this a day early, to accommodate those going on holiday!

Here it is on thesession.org

Here's ABC

X: 1
    T: Ti-jean
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Dmaj
    |:ag|f2A2 f2A2|fgfe d2ef|g2B2 g2B2|gagf e2ag|
    f2A2 f2A2|fgfe d2ef|g2e2 cBA2|[d4F4] [d2F2]:|
    |:B2|ABAG F2A2|d2e2 f3f|g2e2 cBA2|dcde f2d2|
    ABAG F2A2|dcde f3f|g2e2 cBA2|d4 d2:|

Here is TAB on mandolin cafe

Here it is on Mandozine TabEdit file search
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Baby is sleeping, so I figured I'd go ahead and knock this one out! I saw one of it's names is Liberty Hornpipe, so I'm playing it hornpipe-y. I expect the rest of ya'll will play it as a lightning fast reel!

3. billkilpatrick
    there's a temptation to play this fast but i kept it slow:

4. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Bill, I love it! Nice little intro there! Like you said, there is a temptation to play this one fast. And I did. Unfortunately I have a tendency to speed up on already fast songs so the result is me finishing like 5 or 6 bpm faster than I started. Here you go...

http://vimeo.com/5428883

Chris
  5. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Wow ... three fine submissions ... on Thursday! I suddenly feel like a slacker.
  6. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Bill, Always the coolest take on a tune. You jump in and set the bar high and by golly I just threw my mandolin over the fence.
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well if we're all posting early, here's my first thought on the matter.

8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill, Chris & Sausage... all awesome versions!
  9. billkilpatrick
    barbara - stately, elegant - complimenti. compared to your, more accurate version, it appears i'm missing some notes ... the difference between listening to a song and reading it ...

chris - i have yet to hear you play. my computer's cpu is too slow for vimeo videos - i downloaded flash player10 and your video arrives faster but still plays all chopped up. see if your ol' man will relent on the youtube ban ... tell him we'll all keep an eye on you ...

ears - where do you live, exactly? ... which fence? ... (thank you)

david - (can i really call you sausage?) lovely version - just the right amount of ornamentation to make it lively and interesting - alà baloo the bear, "oo-oo-oooo, i wanna' play like you-oo-oo.)

this is the best list i've ever corresponded with ...
  10. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Bill, I'm sorry you guys are having trouble with vimeo. Are you letting it buffer all the way before starting it? Also, I'm using an HD camera to film myself so you may want to turn off HD. Just turn off HD, let load up all the way, then tell me what happens.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill.... I am a proponent of learning to read music, but this tune I learned from my fellow bandmates, not reading it.. and this is just how they play it! Well probably faster... I'm the queen of slow and steady!
  12. billkilpatrick
    chris - no dice. i turned off the HD button, clicked the "play" button and waited for the entire video to down load before clicking it again ... but it still sounds like an audio strobe effect. old computers and old computer buffs don't die ... they just fade away ...
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Another hornpipe-y version played as duet with my Fletcher tenor guitar.

14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was great! I like it as a hornpipe, don't you?
  15. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    The great Jethro Burns having his way with this tune. I'm not sure what is more astonishing: the picking and fiddling, Mark's shorts or Jethro's hat.

16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great rendition! Nothing like short-shorts on a man to date a video! But, he does have the legs for it!
  17. billkilpatrick
    there you go with the knees again ...
  18. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Hi all,
    I've been looking at the social group page every day and enjoying all the videos! I've been pretty busy with working and hanging out with the baby so I've been more a lurker than a poster. Here's my version of Liberty, the first song I learned when I got my first mandolin. Got inspired by the Jethro vid so tipped my hat off to the side a bit.....though that's as far as emulating Jethro that I have the ability to go! Hang Loose! I play it in G....well attempt to, that is.......

I really have enjoyed everybodies takes on all the different tunes! This group is so full of musical wealth!!!
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great playing, Rob! Gotta play with those babies while they are babies, 'cuz you'll turn around and they'll be asking for the car keys!
  20. jamann
    jamann
    Very nice submissions everyone! Bill, I'm really digging your very different version. Cool!
  21. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions everybody! I'm gonna try this one today and maybe post a video later. Will most likely do it as a hornpipe, inspired by Barbara and David's versions. David, every time you play that Sobell I just can't get over how GREAT it sounds - chimes like a bell!
  22. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    That's a good'en Rob --lots a nice ideas tossed in there along the way fine job!

Barbara: ....Gotta play with those babies while they are babies, 'cuz you'll turn around and they'll be asking for the car keys!

And which do we prefer? Carrying a diaper bag everywhere we go, or laying awake at night until the garage door opens?
  23. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    David, that Sobell is the perfect mandolin for this kind of a song -- that full sustain really comes in beautifully on a tune like Liberty. Great version.
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bernie... not only did my babies grow up too fast, now it's my grandbabies doing it!
  25. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    The Sobell is a pretty amazing instrument. You have to be careful not to sneeze in my music room because the recoil from the reverberation of the Sobell hanging on the wall might knock you over. It's quite unlike any other instrument, Stefan really knows what to do with wood.
  26. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Barbara, OldSausage, Bill -- I posted some comments on you offerings earlier and must not have posted it -- I think I got distracted with the grill. Anyway great tunes -- I agree this one sounds good fast or slow but I think an easy temp the allows all the melody to come out is best (unless you Jethro and can do both at once).

As to Mark O'Connor's legs -- I had not noticed until you pointed it out. But my legs looked good back then too and I didn't even have mine waxed like he did
  27. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Someone just posted a Sobell for sale over on thesession.org, I'm not in a position to even think about it right now, but one day maybe...
  28. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    OK I finally got my act togather here -- I decided after listening to all the other great entries that this tune might sound best on an oval hole so I got out my F-2 rather than the F-5.

Anyway here is how I play it -- more than a few clams -- of course!

29. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Chris -- I'm sorry that I missed your version earlier -- did not see the hyperlink. Its very cool -- you really have a knack for coming up with some tasty licks! Good job.
  30. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Thanks Bernie. Next time I'll post the link in all caps so NO ONE WILL MISS IT! lol Great job yourself Bernie! What's that other mando on the desk to your left?
  31. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    It is a Gibson F-5 Fern.
  32. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here is my feeble attempt.
  33. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Good Kyle you are coming along nicely -- you had most of it pretty smooth -- speed comes later. You are doing much better than me when I started!

Nothing the least bit feeble about your effort!
  34. Rando7
    Rando7
    You sound better than me Kyle, and you look a lot classier too!
  35. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Thanks Bernie and Rando. I practice so much I hope I am getting better. I am having my first lesson this Wednesday. I can play this song a lot better now. Once I get one memorized I want to hurry up and video tape it and not practice it enough to do better. When I first started playing all I wanted to do was play fast. I still want to, but I can wait till I get better.
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    In my humble opinion, a steady tempo is WAY more important than speed. Speed will come! One thing that is important to learn, especially when you are playing with others, is that when you fumble, don't try to get back to the note you missed... keep the tempo going, and get back into the tune where you should be. Playing with others, and playing along with recorded music helps this skill alot!

You're putting us to shame with your dress shirt & tie!

I agree, each video of yours is better than the last! That's what we all hope for, steady improvement! Way to go!
  37. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Thanks Barbara! The only reason I had a shirt and tie on is because I just had gotten back from Church. I don't dress like that all the time! lol Yeah I usually play once or twice a week with Tracy and we both often miss a note and we just keep going on any ways! I struggle with tempo. But I should be getting a metronome in a couple weeks to help.
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thought I might have linked to this online metronome before. If you can practice while you've got access to your computer, its an easy way to do it, till you get your 'real' metronome!
  39. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice job, all. Kyle's tie sets a new standard for dress (unmet in my video). Here are three variations: Fiddler's Fake Book, an Alan Bibey riff ripoff and a Jethro Burns riff ripoff.

40. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Mike that blew the tie right off my neck!! I literally just took my tie off and threw it on the ground. Nice Job!
  41. Susanne
    Susanne
    Barbara - your hornpipey version is lovely!!! You play nice and clean as well, it's great to listen to. I think your mandolin has a very nice sound, what maker is it?

Bill, your version is really neat, very particular and I love it!! You put in some different little things in it, and the intro is fantastic. Keep up the good work!

OldSausage - breathtakingly beautiful. If you ever make a CD send me one!!

David - great playing, and a lovely looking mandolin.

Rob - cool version indeed! And your mandolin is a beauty as well

Bernie, well done!!

Kyle, good job! Keep up the good work. And yes, you look great.

Mike, that's lovely. I like the little notes on the low strings there in the B part, that is sooo cool!!
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, thanks. This is my new Collings MT2 O mandolin that I didn't realize I was in the market for, until I found it in Fiddler's Green Music Shop in Austin, Texas back in March. I can hardly put it down!
  43. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears

Played on my 1500 Peso mandolin, made for me in Paracho, Michoacan.
  44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Sore Ears... nice! Cool mando, too! How much is 1500 pesos in american dollars these days? You and Bill, and maybe even Eddie, have been brave enough to video your knees.... I won't even go there!
  45. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Thanks Barbara, I almost feel guilty but the mando was $135 at the time. Shipped 3 weeks later to my house. I found a luthier in a little shop, had some interpreter help since the old craftsman spoke no English and I spoke very basic Spanish. We agreed on 1500 pesos, I went to the ATM,returned, wrote my name and address on a piece of scrap paper, shook hands and 3 weeks later.... The interpreter who is also a guitar luthier told me "the old guys are all honest". He was.
  46. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Decided to mix it up a bit. Now my hand is sore from sliding - hehe

47. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Here's my submission for Liberty.

Ah! The sound of brain cells frying in the background!!!
  48. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here's my recording of Liberty. A little oopsie in the beginning It's made in the kitchen with my MacBook and iMovie '08. It seems iMovie flips the videos by itself. Why have I been using Photo Booth all this time????

49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, Joe & Susi, great videos, all!
  50. Susanne
    Susanne
    Cool recording, Frank, very Irish hornpipey sounding. Great!
    David, great job, very neat with those slides. I'm just starting to use slides. (didn't in Liberty, though)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast