Kid on the Mountain

1. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Recently Barbara played this tune in a "test" post, which reminded me that this is a fun tune. Not only is it a slip jig, but has more parts than I can count (I lost track at 5...)

Took me three video takes, but this one seems acceptable. - DWP
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Very Good Dude!
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good job! Fun tune, and workout for those fingers, right?
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Yep 5 parts, just like Dr. O'Neill's.
  5. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Eddie, You mean I CAN count after all?!?
  6. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    Great job. I have one question I have heard the term slip jig but I am not sure what it means. Can you explain it to me?
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    9/8 time
  8. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    I've also heard it said that a slip jig is a dance that, among Irish stepdancers, is danced only by the girls and is a bit of ballet piece for the dancers.
  9. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    Thanks for the reply.
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's my attempt...
    on a teens Vega 305 Cylinderback - note the percussive thump of the pick...

11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Very nice, Eddie! You almost broke into dance there!
  12. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    One of my favorite tunes. I especially enjoy listening to Tim O'Brien's version. It'd be a great kick to play it in the same setting but would take some transcription as it is a fugue style arrangement Tim has recorded.

13. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    As usual, played on my Sobell Mandolin.

14. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:8527
    T:Kid on the Mountain
    M:9/8
    L:1/8
    R:slip jig
    Z:id:hn-slipjig-31
    K:Em
    |:~E3 FEF G2F|~E3 BcA BGE|EDE FEF G2A|BAG FAG FED:|
    |:BGB AFA G2D|GAB dge dBA|BGB AFA G2A|BAG FAG FED:|
    |:gfg eBe e2f|~g3 efg afd|gfg eBe g2a|bag fag fed:|
    |:eBe e2f g2f|eBe efg afd|eBe e2f g2a|bag fag fed:|
    |:edB dBA G2D|GAB dge dBd|edB dBA G2A|BAG FAG FED:|
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Late entry, but after having known this tune for 30 years and never actually learned it, I thought a few years more wouldn't make such a difference. The funny thing about this is that all 5 parts are expressing differents moods - I suspect that's what you get when you take your kid hiking on a mountain (which is what the name must be all about); a more modern title version would be "The Kids on the Back Seat"

As if to support the theme, my daughter comes in at 1:20 to silently announce that she needs the DSL modem...
  16. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Wowser Bertram, you made it worth the 30 year wait. At least your daughter had the good sense not to say anything. My boys just barge in and yell, "Hey Dad! Whatcha doing? Are you recording there?"
  17. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That was a definite toe tapper, Bertram. Indeed, worth the wait. I just love this tune. Funny, I always think of a kid mountain goat skipping around a mountain. Maybe I'll invoke goats instead of offspring when I play it.
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Loretta and Martin.

Loretta, if you read Kate Thompson's "The New Policeman", and especially the sequel "The Last of the High Kings", you'll find out that goats have stronger links with Irish music than most people expect.
  19. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Goats also have rectangular pupils which allow them to see almost 360 degrees around them. I only learned that recently. Very hard to sneak up on a goat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/msmolly/3832812954/
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm going to let that one go this time, Martin...
  21. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Eddie, Eddie, Eddie . . . I owe you one.
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I thought those pupils were for watching 16:9 TV...
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's my video of Kid on the Mountain, a slip jig, on my Collings MT2O mandolin.

24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Interesting version Barb, with the C part on the lower octave taking away that aggressive wail the C part normally has.
  25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This tune is now an official SAW #163