Week #3 ~ Irish Washerwoman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is a pretty widely known tune, even for people who don't follow this genre, and don't realize they even recognize the tune! I'm sure there are lots of ways to do this, so bring it on! I generally play a harmony part, while the rest of our band plays melody...

This is a jig (6/8 time) in the key of G.

Here is standard notation.

Here is TAB from the cafe's TAB section

And another TAB from the cafe's TAB section

and yet ANOTHER TAB from the cafe

I don't play the tune exactly like any of the above, but close. This is a tune that you can play a lot of ways, and they mostly all go with one another!

Chords:
    G G G G D D D D7
    G G G G D D G G
    G G G G D D D D
    C Bm C Em C D G G

(Note, these are the chords as our band plays them. I'm sure that there are other variations, so whatever works for you!)

The tune is played AA BB AA BB (etc!)
    We play it in a medley followed by Kesh Jig.

Try to remember the picking pattern for jigs: DUD DUD (1 2 3 4 5 6)

I'll post a video later today, I'm sure there are others out there who can post their version pretty quickly!
  2. billkilpatrick
    gad! ... the suspense was killing me! - i'll get right on it ...
  3. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    But can ye' do the Irish Jig to go wi' it?
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is me fumbling through the melody on my Petersen Octave Mandolin.

and then I recorded me playing the harmony part on my Collings MT2 O mandolin, along with the first video.

I still need to work with the volume when recording on my mid-range priced webcam.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kat, I couldn't do an Irish Jig wit' it, but I'm sure THIS gal could!

6. mark sinkoff
    mark sinkoff
    hello to everyone, thought I would try to master the technology involved and join in posting. Barb, what a great idea and cool way to learn new tunes and variations. Thanks for starting this group. anyway here is my first ever webcam/utube attempt.
  7. mark sinkoff
    mark sinkoff
    well, it looks like I`ve not yet mastered the technology.(can`t seem to get my video to embed). oh well... it`s back to the drawing board.

but here is the url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvsCR_Fhlc
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mark, lets see if I can get it embedded for you...

9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mark, very good! Thanks for joining our group, and submitting your video! Tell us about your mandolin...

Barb
  10. mark sinkoff
    mark sinkoff
    Hey Barb, my mandolin was made by andrew mowry of bend oregon about two years ago. It has a one piece curly maple back and engleman spruce top. My daughter , who was a high school jr, at the time designed the headstock inlay. I`ll see if I can post a few pictures.

mark
  11. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    Mark, I don't know if this may be your problem, but when I was posting my video last night, I had to wait about 45 minutes before I was able to embed it. I don't know if that's a processing time or what, but I kept pasting it, and about 40 minutes after I tried originally it displayed my youtube. Did anyone else have this issue?
  12. billkilpatrick
    don't know if it's still the case but as i recall, fridays used to be youtube's maintenance day - that might explain it.
  13. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    In general after you upload a YouTube they say 'processing' - and depending on traffic that may take anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes.
  14. willh
    willh
    I decided to record one tune with my classic, Russian mandolin. It was made in 1957. My wife put a new neck on it in the late 70s. It is the instrument that started me playing mandolin.

I thought I could do better playing my current mandolin, a Hohner MM-200. Here it is flubs and all.

It is better than my last week entry, but I have plenty of room for improvement.

Will
  15. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here is my attempt at the tune (3 video takes), and my first attempt at posting a video here. This, like many tunes, is one I learned on whistle a long time ago, but never tried on mandolin, until now:

I can't believe how serious I am. Maybe my cameraman (my son) needs to make more faces at me ...
  16. billkilpatrick
    cd - well played - slightly different than the version i'm working on - we're just loaded with options.

will - she would be a rather stately washerwoman i'm thinking - not one to be unduly hurried.

bravi - bill
  17. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Okay, I haven't had time to learn the song yet, but you may enjoy the Ed Miller song set to the Irish Washerwoman tune

The Devil Made Texas by Ed Miller
  18. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    I will get around to learning and recording the tune of the week, but right now, I think I'll take a nap instead.

Long weekend of spreading almost all of 18 yards of mulch. This was supposed to be a "low maintenance" landscape. Yeah - tell that to my back!

No mandolin at all this weekend. Must make up for it this coming week.

Good versions so far all.
    Don
  19. billkilpatrick
    note freshly cleaned pile of laundry in background - pure happenstance:

20. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Bill, sounds great and I love the hat but I think that was the Fisher's hornpipe again
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ha! I watched his video, know both those songs, and didn't catch that! We do that all the time, our band, that plays this kind of music... We'll say, lets play 'such & such', yeah, lets! How does it go again! We all know the tunes, but have to wait till one of us can hum it or start it! They don't sound the same, but it's easy to get them mixed up! Bill, we'll be waiting for the REAL Irish Washerwoman! Barb
  22. billkilpatrick
    yikes! ...
  23. Eddie Sheehy
    Not my favorite tune being widely associated with Stage-Irish, but there ain't no such thing as a bad tune so watch this space...
  24. billkilpatrick
    a hurried, red-faced ... only slightly less fishy rendition of "washerwoman" (i'm with eddie - the original title of the tune was "washerwoman jig" - what do the hibernians have to do with it?) second appearance of rags the wonder dog on her way to an after breakfast nap ...

25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill, I knew you had it in you! I love animals, you should FEATURE Rags The WonderDog in one of your videos, instead of those little teasers!

Barb
  26. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Bill,

Nice version; I'm liking the B-part a lot (A is pretty close to what I know). Thanks (and also to Rags' cameo...)
  27. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Awww, I had a dog named Rags years and years ago!

Here is my poor version. And to date myself, I remember when this tune was used in a Malt-o-meal TV commerical when I was growing up.

28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kat... you're too hard on yourself.... I'd suggest turning the recording volume as low as you can on your video recorder (are you using a web cam?) It's the general concensus that having the recording volume too high is what makes the pop and cracking noises when recording instruments playing. I have to turn mine down as low as I can, and on my tenor banjo, I still have to turn away from the camera AND try to play softly!

Thanks for contributing!

Barb
  29. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Yes, I"m using a webcam, and it's built-in, at that. I haven't yet figured out where I can adjust the gain on the microphones - but I'm still working on it.

Some of these tunes I get tangled up trying to decide whether to fret the two adjacent notes, or just slide up and down into them - for celtic music, it seems that you get a crisper sound if you fret and pick each note individually, but that sometimes ends up with me getting my fingers tangled up together trying to play up to speed. Decisions, decisions.
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kat, isn't it crazy how difficult it is to figure out how to operate all the new-fangled electronic stuff we must deal with nowadays!!! My webcam is something I bought that sits on top of my computer, and has it own software you install, but I know my daughter's MAC has the webcam built into it...

The more you play these tunes, the easier they get...really, it's true!

Barb
  31. billkilpatrick
    kat - you sure got that rhythm thing down - nice strong dancing beat! check out this 96 year old mandolin player (died just recently, alas) using what sounds like the same mandolin as you - this is just one of many videos his son made - "harbor lights" is my favorite:

32. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Bill, i dedicate my hat to you in this video haha
    Recording this video was a real teeth clincher this week! Fun tune though, I'll have to practice it and try to play it faster over time. Seems like it could be a good one played quickly.

~Kyle
  33. billkilpatrick
    well done! ... hats off!
  34. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle that was wonderful! Tell me again what the tuning is on your bouzouki? And, you're capo'ing where? Making it what? I'm gonna have to find me a hat!
  35. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Barbara, it's tuned GDAD. I capo'd the 5'th fret to put me into an open G tuning which gives me the ability to create a bit of a droning sound.
    Thanks
    Kyle
  36. Eddie Sheehy
    I finally remembered where I'd heard this tune before... There was a movie in the late 60's "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" - starred a young Sean Connery amongst others. This tune was the recurring theme music for the happy times... Anyway, even though I don't have down pat yet, I couldn't resist speeding up on the last A part to play it at the speed I remember hearing it... Now I gotta dig out that old VHS movie and annoy my kids into watching it with me...

37. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    eddie, woo hoo!
  38. billkilpatrick
    excellent! ...
  39. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    wow Eddie! That was wicked fast at the end! I love it
  40. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Bill -love the Spanish Eyes - I'd never heard that on a mandolin before. Eddie - I remember that movie - long time ago, that.

When I was in junior high I attended a parochial school, and we had to take Highland Dance - I learned how to dance the Irish Jig - to this same tune. Perhaps that is why I have the rhythm stronger than the melody - I am remembering dancing to it.
  41. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Finally got around to trying to record this one. I just started this morning, so I'm reading it from the sheet and having a devil of a time getting through twice. So here it is, once! I'll try and record a better version tomorrow morning.

Don
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey Don, that was great! I know what you mean about getting through twice (or more). I've done that on some of my videos.... if I get through ONCE without it sounding too bad, just stop there!
  43. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I'm about half convinced this unassuming little jig doesn't want to be played. The B part continues to bedevil me. During my first attempt to video this, I was at least able to prove that additional shots of Jamaican rum weren't the solution. Here's my version, in G modulated to A and back G.

44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, very cool rendition! I love it when tunes (or medleys) have key changes! Maybe the rum wasn't the solution, but it didn't seem to slow you down any! Thanks!
  45. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Thanks. It occurs to me, giving this a cold listen, that I should practice what I preach and play it slowly with a metronome until it is drilled into my skull and under my fingers.
  46. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Here's my contribution. I wasn't that happy with it while I was playing, but watching the video I think it works ok. I've long since come to terms with the goofy faces I make when I'm playing, but I think I need a windscreen or something. Those sharp intakes of air really don't add much to the tone I'm going for!

47. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ken, that was wonderful! Although it probably seems redundant to say EVERY time, what your instrument is, I can't remember from one video to the next, what everyone is playing. Your's is a beauty to see AND hear! You must hold your breath when playing? I find that I can't chew & swallow food when playing. We eat snacks at our band practice, and if I pop a mouth full of nuts or candy or carrots (yeah, sometimes we eat healthy snacks) and then we start a tune, I'm stuck with it in my mouth till the tune is over!
  48. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    The mandolin is a Collings MT2, with an Engelmann top. It's cool to see all the videos featuring it's oval hole sibling! Honestly, I'm not even aware of breathing (or much else, really) when I'm playing. I only find out when I watch the video all the weird things I'm doing.
  49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ken, I suspected it was a Collings, no wonder I thought it sounded and looked so purdy!
  50. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    Okay, so hear is my third week video:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast