Little Beggarman or Red Haired Boy

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chuck Naill had posted a link to his mp3 of this tune, on the Song & Tune project message board. He was playing it in A minor, very cool. Here is my version played in A mixolydian. I noticed after I'd already recorded it, uploaded it and posted it, that I only played one B part the 2nd time around. I seem to ALWAYS have that problem, and sure enough, did it again! You'd normally play it AA BB AA BB!

2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    If any of you want to hear/see this tune played in GDGD crosstuning (it should be in AEAE but I like the sound of the lower tuning), I have it posted at

http://www.dongrieser.net/movies.html

It's the one named Gilderoy.
  3. bgjunkie
    bgjunkie
    Okay, here goes my first video.

Every time I hit the record button I would mess up. This was the only tune that I got all the way through, and I figured I had to start somewhere with this video thing.
  4. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    hey welcome to the group -sounds good. I need to work on a faster version of this tune.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Here we go again...

6. bgjunkie
    bgjunkie
    Red Haired Boy is one of my favorite tunes (I should know a couple variations by now though). My son is a little red head boy. He used to do a little dance every time I played the tune.

I need to work on my recording setup. The mic on the video camera keeps distorting the sound of my mandolin.
  7. Daci
    Daci
    Got this one down! Thanks!
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This is a tune have to know if you have pretensions of playing bluegrass mandolin, like me.

9. Susanne
    Susanne
    Here's my take on Red haired boy:

10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Just got around to listening to Don's G-D-G-D version. Wild!
  11. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Mike. I finally got that one up on utube. I learned this from the playing of Norman Blake. Should be in AEAE but I like the lower resonance of GDGD. Warning: crosstunings are addicting.

On one of the Blake and Rice albums, Tony plays Red Haired Boy on guitar and Norman plays Gilderoy or Little Beggarman on the mandolin and they keep switching back and forth--major/minor. Classic picking there.

12. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Great picking, Don! I love those Blake and Rice albums.
  13. Daijoki
    Daijoki
    Here's my take...

14. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's another one.

15. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    David, that Octar sure is cool! Really looks like you're enjoying it!

I've been meaning to get this tune recorded so I "buckled down" yesterday and got it recorded to my satisfaction.

16. tuffblue
    tuffblue
    I am still away in HK without a mandolin but still enjoying all your videos. Here is my attempt at Red haired Boy which I recorded previously. Cheers Frank
  17. farmerjones
    farmerjones
    Apart from the awful vid quality, i've got an older version than this (@ farmerjones youtube home) to compare it. Tain't good, but it's better than it was.

18. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Alright, not the most timely posting, but here it goes:

Interesting that David considers this de rigueur for bleugrass playing, as I've always thought it an Irish tune. The song Little Beggarman is in an Irish collection and everything. In any case, all these posted versions sound great, and mine seems a bit redundant.
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    Nothing redundant about it. Nice lively version of a great tune - BG or ITM.
  20. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Celtic Dude....I'll second Eddies comments! I don't think anything sounds redundant that you do...especially on the Collings!!!
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    February 19, 2010 this was the Tune of the Week. Here's a link!