Week #41 ~ Sailor's Hornpipe

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Sailor's Hornpipe. Most of you know this tune in the back of your mind, even if you've never played it.

Here's Mickey Cochran's arrangement in standard notation & mandolin TAB from the folk of the wood website. (Key of G)

Here's a pretty hokey (but cool) midi I just found.

Here's the ABC from www.thesession.org (key of D)

X: 1
    T: Sailor's, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Dmaj
    dc |: d2 D2 D2 AG | FAdc dfed |e2 EF ^GBed |ce a2 a2 bc' |
    d'c'ba bagf | gfed edcB | AcBd cfeg |[1 f2 d2 d2 dc :|[2 f2 d2 dBAG ||
    |: FAdA FAdA | B2 G2 G2 BA | ^GBeB GBeB | c2 A2 A2 gf |
    g2 b2 bagf | gfed edcB | AcBd cfeg |[1 f2 d2 dBAG :|[2 f2 d2 d2 dc ||

I play this tune in D.

This ought to be enough to get ya'll started.

It just started snowing again....yay
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Mike Oldfield eat your heart out...
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    It's raining here... and you know what they say about So. Cal. rain...
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage

This is what got me (and a lot of other people) started on multitracking. Not quite the Sailor's Horpipe, though, a slightly different tune called "Barnacle Bill".
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, that's the most awesome YouTube video I've ever witnessed!

Throw down that multi-track challenge!
  6. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Actually it's not Barnacle Bill, which is quite, um, NAUGHTY and would get us all banished from the Caf'e forever
    after spending 8 years in the US Navy I know more than a few bawdey tunes and back-room ballads
    Cheers
    Michael
  7. Mandophyte
    Mandophyte
    For those on the west side of the pond (Atlantic Ocean) the Blue Peter is the flag shown on a ship about to leave a harbour.

In the video the tune is the theme for a childrens' magazine programme which started in the very late 50s and is still being produced. Google it or check Wikipedia.

One of the male presenters was expected to do daring things like parachuting or jumping into freezing lake in the Arctic.

Mike Oldfield was (is), although a folkie, a leader in experimental music, his Tubular Bells album is one of the 10 top ten ever in the UK. Again check Wikipedia.

The presenters were expected to be very virtuous and wholesome, although one or two were found to have had the odd trip.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Is this a hornpipe? I know I'm not a sailor...

Oh, Michael, the Blue Peter theme is called Barnacle Bill, it's just not the Barnacle Bill you know because, well, it was a kids' show after all. The tune and lyrics you refer to are well known on land and sea, near and far
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    When I referred to Mike Oldfield above, I was referring to his rendition of "The Sailor's Hornpipe" at Montreux - I believe he played it on a Gibby F4. Anyway, it's probably on utube...
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    That's really nice David.
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Eddie. This one, perhaps:

12. Eddie Sheehy
    I plan to do it like that but in reverse.... I'll start slowly and go even slower until I stop... or fade away...
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, that's great... it's a bluegrass hornpipe!
  14. BlueMt.
    BlueMt.
    OS, I think that would be labeled a cornpipe.

Nice job!
  15. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    Great job as always, OS. I just returned to snowy Chicago from vacationing where it is warm and see that I have a lot of catching up to do. I didn't have any instruments with me and will now have to suffer to regain my calloused fingertips. Tom
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks guys - I like "cornpipe" Good to have you back in town, Tom.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    The Gaelic for a Hornpipe is Cornphiopa - probably not by accident...
  18. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    OS, great sound, great playing.
    And, as always, the bar is now very high for us earthlings.
  19. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    OS, really great playing!
    Oh, and Whew, i was worried we might be waxing a bit blue with barnacle bill and all, glad you cleared that up. Ironically enough, the only person i ever met who knew all the "real" words to that song was a Council-woman in Boston, Mass. go figure.
    Slante'
    MIchael
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff OS!
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, here's mine. I didn't have to learn this tune, but, in multi-tracking in GarageBand, and having to play rhythm on my cittern (something I'm still in the beginners stage of!), I was having to learn that part.

In addition to rhythm on my Petersen cittern, I'm also playing melody on my Petersen cittern, Collings MT2O mandolin & Slingerland May Bell tenor banjo.

22. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done Barb, that sounds brilliant! Your tenor banjo sounds great!
  23. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Babara, really great!!! (but i lost count. was it 4 or 5 tracks?) How cool is THAT??
    THX
    Michael
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks! 4 tracks: cittern rhythm/chords, cittern melody, mandolin melody, tenor banjo melody.
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nicely played, Barbara. You're coming on well with the Garage Band software - isn't multi-tracking great fun! It's also a great learning tool, as you have to get everything in time and sync and then work on arranging the tune and backing tracks, getting a balance, etc. I'm working on a version of Hector the Hero right now, using guitar and octave mandolin and giving the cello synth a rest! Late as usual but will get it posted soon, I hope. Knowing that others will listen to it makes you try that much harder.
    Well done, again.
  26. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent Barb, very melodic.
  27. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very Nice, Barbara you're becoming quite the multi-track aficionado.

Here's my try on my Fletcher tenor guitar tuned GDAE with back up on guitar and bass.

28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nice David! I love it when you play your tenor guitar!
  29. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice playing from all above. I'm enjoying the multi-tracking.

Here is my attempt, played on my Flood-Tone. Sorry, no multi-tracking from me although I did include a special feature at the end. I learned this tune a long time ago, mostly to use for comic effect during trips out on the river in our rowboat.

30. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Keith,

Nice playing. Sometimes it's nice to just have pure mandolin on these.

Your house seems infested with hobbits. I also had one, although he's growing, and will reach elven height soon. But I guess that's what happens if you keep feeding them...
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That gets my vote for the best thing I'll see today, and it's super bowl sunday, when there's lots to see on TV! I also agree with totally enjoying mandolin solos..... Your mando is sweeeeet sounding!
  32. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Thanks! Finding a quiet space to do a video in my small house is always a challenge.
  33. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great playing, Keith.
  34. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is my version with poor man's 'multi-tracking', i.e., Band-in-a-Box plays bass through my PC speakers.
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    manfred, nice clean picking there!
  36. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice Manfred. Smooth and lively.
  37. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice. I love this tune, it's so Jolly...
  38. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's my version played on a Dearstone D1A...