Week #35 ~ Roanoke

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Roanoke, submitted as a bluegrass tune. I'm not familiar with this tune, and it's almost midnight on Christmas Eve, so I'm not going to go looking for the info on the tune. If anyone gets to it before I do, please post links to the tune, or ABC! Merry Christmas!
  2. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    So quiet here! Everyone as busy as myself to get this tune up to a reasonable speed?
    I didn't know the tune, so it's gonna take a few hours more.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I suspect (but not sure) that for many of the video posters here in this group, bluegrass is not the genre we regularly play.....
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This is a tune that takes a bit of work to get up to speed
  6. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Well OS, I said 'reasonable' speed.

While trying to figure out how this tune is supposed to sound I came across a Youtube video of these three speed demons:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8erhrWpYHY

They must be racing at about 300 bpm.

I am aiming for a clean version about half that fast.

By the way, Barbara, I am innocent, I didn't even know the tune and missed the vote anyway
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here we go then, better post something before the next week's tune is out! Oh, by the way Manfred - Kym Warner and the guys in the video you linked to are playing Rawhide (even though it says Roanoke in the title). Great video though nonetheless.

8. Eddie Sheehy
    OK, I'll bite... How can you tell?
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well for a start Rawhide is in C
  10. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    @Manfred, Wow - wish I"d caught that show, I live here in Austin. Dennis lives here locally and used to play with So. Austin Jug Band, Sarah Jaroz is from Wimberley just south of Austin and recently moved to Nashville to advance her career. You can bet I'll be watching for a reprise of that trio appearing together in Austin.
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS, that's great.... and setting the bar so high for the rest of us!
  12. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great, OS. And thanks for clarifying my confusion over the Roanoke/Rawhide video. I am embarrassed about this proof of my Bluegrass ignorance.

So here is a non-Bluegrasser's stab at Roanoke.
    Hope this is at least the right tune

Happy New Year to everyone. I am so glad I joined this group.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's great, Manfred, I really admire the sound you get from your mandolin.
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Good job, Manfred!
  15. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks Barbara and OS.
    OS, I appreciate this very encouraging compliment. The mandolin is an Eastman 815 with 2-month-old FT-74 strings. I like these much better than the J-74s, which I found to sound a bit harsh. I use a Wegen M 150 pick. Maybe the sound is also improved by my Zoom H2 which I have hooked up to function as a microphone for the webcam.
  16. Zoey Peterson
    Zoey Peterson
    Both of you did a great job on the song. I can't even get this song to remotely sound like music from the tabs I got off of mandozine lol! I have resigned myself to kicking up old songs here if you all don't mind old posts being kicked around. I now have a "a sharper image" little $40.00 video camera and the sound and picture on it aren't great, but I figure I can begin to torture you all soon with much less complicated songs. There is no way I can learn a song in a week, I'm just not that good yet lol.

Happy New Year everyone and enjoy your Hoppin' Johns tonight! :D
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    Tar Barrel in Dale, Fire in Snow
    Toast the New Year, Bid Farewell to the Old...

Looking forward to getting caught up now that the HandyCam has freed up a bit...
  18. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Well, a little late, but here's mine...

19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Chris, great as usual.... and, hey, you may consider yourself a little late, but you are just the 3rd person who has submitted a version!!
  20. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Roanoke
    C:Bill Monroe
    L:1/8
    Q:540
    M:4/4
    K:G
    z6 ef | gf ga ge dB | AG FA G2 DE | =F2 F2 ED B,A, | G,6 GE |: "G"DC B,A, G,A, B,D | \
    EF GB AG FE | DC B,A, G,A, B,D | "D"EF GA "G"G2 GE | "G"DC B,A, G,A, B,D | EF GA Bd ef | \
    gf ga ge dB |1 A"D"G FA "G"G2 =FE :|2 A"D"G FA "G"G4 |: [b2d2] [bd][bd] [b2d2] [bd][bd] | \
    [b2d2] [a2c2] [g4B4] | "C"[e2G2] [eG][eG] [e2G2] [eG][eG] | [e2G2] [d2=F2] [c4E4] | \
    [b2d2] [bd][bd] [b2d2] [bd][bd] | [b2d2] [a2c2] [g4B4] | "D"DE FA dA FD |1 G"G"E DB, G,4 :|2 G"G"E DB, G,2 ef | \
    gf ga ge dB | AG FA GD EF | GB AG EF GE | DC B,A, G,4 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  21. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Great jobs by OS, Manfred, and Chris. Thought I'd do a little catch-up on a few tunes.
    This is about as fast as I can play this one! Playing my Collings MF5-V mandolin.

Jim
  22. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Since you all know I like to play too fast I thought I'd turn my fast twitch fibers loose on this'n. Fasten your seat belts and go easy on me.....

23. Eddie Sheehy
    Man, that was smokin, Shaun.
  24. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done Shaun. That's not too fast -- it's just right!
  25. GHall
    GHall
    This is my daughter and her mandolin teacher, Zeke, learning Roanoke. Sorry about the poor video quality, I normally don't tape her lessons with the intent of uploading them, but thought this was a good take on the song. Enjoy!
  26. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    You sure know how to deflate a guy. I think I am getting better and then your daughter comes along and blows my doors off. Zeke is damned good too.
  27. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Knocks my socks off. The girl. And the teacher's ability to talk while playing (trying to say more than "beer" when I play gets me derailed every time).
  28. GHall
    GHall
    Thanks for the compliments, guys, and I know how you feel, woodenfingers! I've been trying to play for almost five years, and I've got about three or four fiddle tunes down pretty good now. My daughter just picked it up one day and within ten minutes was playing songs - she's only 10, btw And her teacher Zeke is one of the best in the business! Very fortunate my daughter was able to start takin' lessons with him this summer...
  29. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What a treasure a daughter is... and that she can play Roanoke is just icing on the cake! Well done young lady and I can hear a lot of Mr. Monroe in your playing too!
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    It's fascinating with those kids - it seems like it's not a new instrument to them, they just kind of "remember".