Week #100 ~ San Francisco Bay Blues

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is San Francisco Bay Blues. I hope that someone more knowledgeable can help me out here! This was apparently composed by Jesse Fuller.

Here's a YouTube Video of Eric Clapton doing this jug band style

This seems to be the same recording..

Here's chords

Here's Peter, Paul & Mary

Jesse Fuller (1968)

Here's another by the Jazz Pirates

Here's another:

There are many more on youtube... check them out for yourselves and find one you like for inspiration.

Seems like we need vocals & kazoos on this one!
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'm thinking I remember Micheal C. pulling off a great version of this song a while back.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm always game for trying something new~

I'm playing along to Eric Clapton....

4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn, you are right!

5. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's mine on a Gibson H1 Mandola with a bluesharp in D. I used Audacity to mix the bluesharp track which I recorded separately - the holder/halter is just a prop...

6. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Nice job Barbara, Eddie and Michael - really enjoyed the harmonica! I think we're in for a strumming kind of week. On a hunch, I recorded this last night with Steve "Porkshop Rockshow" - a new member to the Cafe and also my partner in crime for the local BBQ joints in the East Bay CA. Please welcome Steve and his vocals on his first SAW/basement appearance!

BTW- the reason you don't see my face in other posts is fairly evident - need to learn to smile!

Chris
  7. Toycona
    Toycona
    Great playing, everyone! Wow, Chris, look at them shiny geetars!
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice stuff people - harmonica, kazoo ; but is no-one going to get their fodella out?
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Great, ya'll! I've said it before.... I sure wish I could sing! And, welcome, Steve.... hope to see/hear more from you!
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Good stuff everyone... here's an instrumental version of San Francisco Bay Blues played on the guitar using Travis picking and a bunch of noodling around on the mandolin. Can't go wrong with a ragtime/blues feel.

That's a National resophonic mandolin and a George Bauer parlor guitar...
  11. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Wow! Very cool. Great feeling and the ending was perfect. You really captured the mood!
  12. dcdan
    dcdan
    man I loved the end of that michael and I'm so jealous that my resonator is in another country until thursday night. I think so far the definitive "extra instrument" has been the Kazoo! I'm going to have to work up something with the instruments I have available in this country. I also don't have anyone else to play with.
  13. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I wasn't too sure I could do this after the wonderful versions on show here with great accompaniment. It's a fun tune though and I love the vibrance and energy of the Peter, Paul & Mary vid above, fantastic.......

14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've known this for many year, ever since hearing it on Ramblin' Jack Elliott's wonderful self-titled 1961 album on Prestige/Folklore (easily his best album in my opinion). I've never played it before today, though, and indeed have played very little if any blues ever. Nevertheless, I've bashed together a rough, fast and coarse runthrough, first the chords and then picking the tune. I think this is a tune that needs to be brash and in-your-face and a bit dirty, so that's what I was aiming for.

Martin
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    It can be quite a challenge to come up with a melody to play on the mandolin -- especially if the song is a blues and it has vocals. Blues singers can get so much more out of just a few notes with their voices... the trick for a mandolin is what to do to "fill out" the song. Nice job Tosh.

Martin: Nice chords and I liked the tremolo on the melody. It had that old time jug band mandolin feel to it. Thanks
  16. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Nice job everyone.

Here's me going out on a limb and leaving my comfort zone. I'm trying to improvise. My guitar buddy couldn't come out and play this week, so I played with my new video software to make it look like I have a friend.

Tnt

17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Tnt, that was dynamite! (Okay, sorry for the word play...) Go out on that limb anytime because the results are very enjoyable for us. By the way, which video software were you using to clone yourself?
  18. dcdan
    dcdan
    I would also like to know what software your using because it turns out my version of i-movie is too old to do pip
  19. dcdan
    dcdan
    nice improv TNT1 does the software allow you to hear while you play along..that would be nice here is mine I was going to solo over the chords but couldn't make the pip thing happen..will keep trying. I also learned that no matter how many takes I do I wont grow a voice or learn to e n u n c i a t e
  20. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Check out TrackAxPC. The free version doesn't have PIP, but it was only 25 for the full version. It takes getting used to, especially trying to line up the tracks, but once I get it down, I may try a 4 way split, including Bass and Uke.

Tom
  21. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Hey dcdan, nice!

I recorded the first version on my zoom also, and listened to the MP3 on headphones for the next track.
  22. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Martin, Tom and Dan, great vids and the energy & enthusiasm comes across in each. Great stuff.
  23. polymerchm
    polymerchm
    My feeble attempt. Reading lyrics and chords and singing and playing t the same time. Whew. Love the double stop turnaround.

24. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Dude, you rocked it!
  25. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara, Thanks for posting my video. Sorry for my absence but my laptop crashed a few weeks ago and I had to get a new OS installed. Of course, I lost most of my links, videos, mp3, etc, etc. Had one heck of a time getting my TablEdit app working again and,HA, lost all of those TEF files too
    Good thing I saved most of them right here on the Cafe TEF database! Hope to start recording and posting again real soon.
    All the Best,
    Michael
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    polymerchm..... that was AWESOME!!! Feeble attempt, my (.....)! I think every good song needs some mumbling in there, to make the listeners have to figure stuff out! I'll say it again, I wish I could sing!!!!!
  27. dcdan
    dcdan
    ok here is my first rather feeble attempt to "play with myself" youtube wise..very rough but hopefully I'll refine the technique with practice
  28. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I don't know how I could have lived my whole life and not be aware of this great song. That's what I like about this group -- always trying out new stuff and it's fun to learn from everyone. Tnt, your solo is wonderful, and it's pretty cool the way you changed clothes and hairstyle for your friend.