Week #98 ~ Ragtime Annie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is Ragtime Annie.

When I went to Ragtime Annie on thesession.org, and read the comments, it started out by saying that the abc and sheet music wasn't quite right, so I won't even go there!

Here is Wendy Anthony's take on it in Mel Bay's Mandolin Sessions, Building a Traditional Tune Repertoire.

This is what she had to say about the tune:

Ragtime Annie (also known as Raggedy Anne) is a popular American fiddle tune, played in both Old Time & Bluegrass. Although this tune actually has three parts, many people only play the first two parts, and the third part will often vary between players. The earliest documented recording was in 1922, by Texas fiddler Eck Robertson, playing all three parts.

Here is a midi file of the tune.

Here it is on Traditional Bluegrass Music

Here it is on abctunesearch, from Nigel Gatherer

I believe this is a pretty close abc transcription of the basic tune:

X:1
    T:Ragtime Annie
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:D
    FE|DFBF AFBF|DFBF A2 FE|DEFG ABAF|A2 c2 c2 cB|
    ABcA B2cB|ABcA BAcB|ABcd egfe|d2 dc d2:|
    fg|a2 ab afd2|A6 fg|a2 ab agf2|g6 ef|
    gfef gfef|gagf e2 ef|gagf edcB|A6 fg|
    a2 ab afdB|A2 AB A2 AA|d4 =c4|B6 A2|B2 b2 b2 ag|
    f2 a2 a2 gf|A2 ef gfec|d2 =c2 B2 A2||
    K:G
    B6 AB|c6 cB|A2 f2 f2 ef|gfga gedc|D2 B2 B2 AB|E2 c2 c2 cB|A2 f2 f2 ef|
    gfga g2:|
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I thought this was a really helpful lesson on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jsugz6_XvA
  3. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Ragtime Annie is neither ragtime, nor from Annie. Discuss.

On Big Muddy MW-0 mandolin and Regal tenor guitar.
    I'm still kind of working on harmony/rhythm playing this week.
    It's slow going, but making progress.

Oh, and I dropped a beat in the guitar track,
    so I patched it up in Garage band,
    but that video is out of sync because of it.
  4. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    I'll throw up a version. I play Annie with three parts but I've often heard it without the C-part -- so both ways are done.

I'm playing along with a Hetzlers' Fakebook midi file that mysteriously ends a few beats early the third time through which I did not realize hence the surprise -- but the way I play it hardly matters!

5. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    ToF, nice job. I love the picture in the picture.

Excellent job Bernie, very effortless. That is one pretty mandolin.
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here is a video from almost 5 years ago, of Mandolin Cafe's Dan Beimborn playing Ragtime Annie at lightning speed!

7. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thanks tnt - its a nice old instrument from the days when the mandolin was king!

Tof -- lovely video -- what software did you use for that PIP?

Dan is the man!!
  8. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Thanks Bernie, I use the iMovie Picture-in-Picture effect and the precision editor to sync the audio. I'm barely able to play rhythm, but it was really fun on this one. The double stops made so much more sense with the chords. This group is such an inspiration to try something new each week.
  9. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic Tens or Fifths and Bernie. Dan is a fantastic player, saw this a few times on YouTube. Here is my take on Ragtime Annie. I got a new camera, a Nikon P7000, but don't know what I'm doing with it! Apologies for sound quality.....

10. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nothing wrong with the sound quality, Tosh. Great effort!

Bernie, this is very relaxed, yet speed-demon like picking!

ToF, very nice playing, too.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is my take on Ragtime Annie, using Nigel Gatherer's ABC (which I think is identical to the one posted by Barbara, all three parts). I've recorded it with the Ajr as well as my reso tenor -- the tenor does suit this tune very well as it gives a bit more of a ragtime/early jazz tone quality to it.

Reso first:

Ajr:

Martin
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Ragtime Annie based on an arrangement by Jack Tuttle and played on my Sobell mandolin.

13. Toycona
    Toycona
    Wow, lots of great versions. Tosh, that Sobell is sounding so good. It has really opened up nicely, hasn't it.
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's an old recording of mine...

15. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great versions Martin, David and Eddie. Manfred and Toycona thanks for the kind words. Toycona, mine is a Paul Shippey and it is settling down really nicely now and David demonstrates the Sobell superbly............
  16. Toycona
    Toycona
    Got it. I got the names mixed up. David had posted with his Sobell, so the name was in my head. Yours is sounding great, though!
  17. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff everyone!
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great and incredibly varied lot of versions here, all offering different takes on the tune. Not one I knew, but will add it to the list of ones to be worked on. Congratulations all who contributed to this one.
  19. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Well played everyone!

I've been playing this in our Bluegrass jam for the last year, but incorrectly. Soooo, I've broken out my Sam Bush Mandolin Method DVD and spent some time relearning it with his tab. It's not perfect, but I've corrected some of the mistakes I've been making in the B part. I also played a C part at the end of the second time thru Sam Bush demonstrates in his video. Most jams don't play the C part, unless you call it out in the beginning. It's certainly a popular Bluegrass jam tune!

Jim

20. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Well done Jim, love that C part variation.........
  21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Martin, David and Eddie.

jordandvm, great job.

Now you have set the bar high for me, because I'm also working on the Sam Bush 3-part version.
  22. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Wow. What enjoyable viewing and listening! 10, Bernie, Barbara, CD Man Tosh, Martin, David, Eddie, & Jim - Great Job! Wonderful work all.
  23. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    This was a challenge enough, but since I'm working on FFcP I decided to play the song entirely in closed position. (all 3 parts)

Now that was hard. Not only did it take about 200 takes, but my hand was aching. But as they say, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I finally got an acceptable take. Here it is. I did get one open string in, see if you can find it.

Tom

24. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That was great Tom, especially as you played in the closed position.....
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Am I the only one who can't see tnt's video?
  26. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    I can see it and it sounds great. It looks slightly bigger (width/height) than the others if that has something to do with it?
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Is it embedded into his discussion? I'm viewing it only iPhone but I think I looked yesterday from a computer and didn't see it either!
  28. Ryan Zerby
    Ryan Zerby
    Playing in closed position is really neat! What is the opinion of FFCP in ITM or Old-Time? It seems to me that it's not very common to go up the neck in those tradtions, while in newer tradtions (bluegrass, jazz, etc), you're up there far more often.
  29. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    I always wondered why my vidoes were a different size. I figgered i'm a big guy, so the video needs to be bigger.

This is the second time in 2 weeks an iPhone user can't view my video, so now I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

I usually hit quick reply, and select the insert video button, then paste the URL in the spot.

Is there a better way? Let me know, thanks

Tom
  30. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Tom:

I can see your videos, but the "standard" way of inserting Youtube clips is not to use "Quick Reply", but rather to click on "Go Advanced" (just below the Quick Reply window) and then to use the "Tube" button. Paste the 11-digit Youtube code there (it's the bit after "v=" in the video URL) and it'll show up in your posting.

Martin
  31. tnt2002
    tnt2002
    Like this? Thanks!

32. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Wow! Lots of excellent takes and improvisation this week! I'm feeling inspired from all the great videos! Unfortunately, inspiration tends to overpower my technique so here goes...
    Chris

33. Toycona
    Toycona
    Great job, Chris. Really clean version! Unfortunately, this is my super busy season, so I'll be running a few weeks behind. Fortunately, there are lots of people to take up the slack.
  34. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I recorded this one a while back. Might be time for a new one.....

35. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Excellent - the slides and double stops really flesh it out!
  36. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Here's Ragtime Annie. I wanted to show off the New Army Navy Mandolin I just finished.
  37. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic Chris, Shaun & Earl. Earl congratulations on you're new build, sounds fine.......
  38. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    More variety and great playing. Great efforts, tnt, Shaun, Chris, Earl.

Here is what I learned from the Sam Bush DVD. 'Metronome' by Band-in-a-Box:
  39. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That was absolutely stunning, Manfred. Excellent tone and not even a hint of a flubbed note. It's got to be one of your best yet.

Earl, I really like the sound of your new mandolin. Was that a kit, or do you construct them from scratch?
  40. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Manfred that was absolutly great played, professional! I start it again.
    Earl, as Marcelyn I am curious too, you build that mandolin?
    Bernd
  41. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Yes I built it. It's a kit in that all the components came from one place (cumberland acoustics) in one box. The neck was cut, had the truss rod installed and the ears glued on. I carved it and put the fretboard on. The fretboard came with the fretmarker holes drilled and the slots cut. I installed the markers and frets.

I bent the sides and built the box. The soundhole was pre cut and the top and back were cut to shape but about 1/2" over so it could be trimmed flush. When you buy the kit from Steve you get a nice CA bridge which I'm sure contributes to the sound.

Thanks for asking about the build and the nice compliments. It is fun and I'd like to build more but then you get in to having to sell them (or give them away) and I'm not sure how that would work out. I'm debating starting another one.
  42. Earl Gamage
    Earl Gamage
    Nice playing Manfred. I like how there is no rush and it's very smooth and clear.
  43. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Great job Manfred! Now you'll just have to grow your hair longer to look like Sam!

Jim
  44. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Earl, that does sound like a lot of work. But it definitely paid off.

Tom, I forgot to mention, but I can see your videos now, where I couldn't before. Great job, and keep posting that way.
  45. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    A lot of work kept me from playing this week couldn't make it better. Here is my take.
    Bernd
  46. Toycona
    Toycona
    Good job everyone! Manfred, really nice accents with the hammer-ons.
  47. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great job on that well-sounding 'thang', Bernd.

Thanks a million for your encouragement, Marcy, Earl, jordandvm, Bernd, and Tom.

Jordandvm, longer hair - that was once upon a time ....
    Looking like Sam Bush would not suffice. I would have to be able to play at least 60 clicks faster (quarter notes). Actually, I had practiced it a bit faster, but the camera slowed me down again.
  48. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Wow! Excellent work everyone. Great job Tom, Chris, Shaun, Earl, Manfred, and Bernd!
    You folks are very tough acts to follow.
    Here is my effort, from an arrangement courtesy of Strum Hollow Acoustic Music.
    This isn't quite as smooth as I'd like. Per my instructor, I am focusing on hovering my left fingers lower and closer to the fretboard, and frankly that's where most of my attention is (and I still see a lot of work to be done with that! )
    Anyways, hope you enjoy it.

49. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Ed, Bernd, Manfred and EarlG - great job! It's fun to hear all the different interpretations and tones. My ear is getting a lot better at hearing the unique character of each instrument - but I'm not quite ready for the blind test yet. I've only been in the group a month or so now but have learned a lot. This is great way to get an education/appreciation for music that would have previously gone unnoticed.
  50. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine, played slowly, (with feeling, haha!)

The first time through I'm playing it pretty much as notated. However, this is a tune that a fellow bandmate of mine already plays, and his take on it is that it speeds up each time, until you can't physically play it any more! So, the second time around, you'll notice that the beginning of the A part is VERY simplified, in order to go with what he is accustomed to playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast